Oregon takes our ugly FBS bowl record

46Gophers

Reaction score
TCU was down 31-0 and came back to beat Oregon 47- 41 in 3OTs. This helps put even more in the rearview mirror our 31 pt collapse to Texas Tech in the 2006 Insight Bowl.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can that be rewritten to not mention the 2006 game? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Record not taken or broken. Tied.

Man some Gopher losses still haunt me: Ohio State 1989 (the collapse started with the Gophers forcing OSU to punt, but had too many men on the field...; a loss to Illinois in about 1993 (Tim Schade led a great comeback but blew it with poor playcalling); that Michigan loss in 2003 or so (the Friday night game, the thought of it still nauseates me) and the 2006 one to Texas Tech (I was in Tempe, what a cluster!) stand out.

Man some Gopher losses still haunt me: Ohio State 1989 (the collapse started with the Gophers forcing OSU to punt, but had too many men on the field...; a loss to Illinois in about 1993 (Tim Schade led a great comeback but blew it with poor playcalling); that Michigan loss in 2003 or so (the Friday night game, the thought of it still nauseates me) and the 2006 one to Texas Tech (I was in Tempe, what a cluster!) stand out.

The one I remember best was the 2000 Micron PC Bowl in Miami, which I drove to from where I live in North Central Florida. Nothing like blowing a 24-0 lead to North Carolina State. Little did I know that this was only a prelude to the 2003 Michigan game as well as the 2006 Texas Tech fiasco. Thank you Glen Mason!

I remember being at my parents for the holidays and the game was on a channel they didn't get at that time (NFL Network?). So I ended up following it on the computer. I feel blessed I have never had to watch that game.

The one I remember best was the 2000 Micron PC Bowl in Miami, which I drove to from where I live in North Central Florida. Nothing like blowing a 24-0 lead to North Carolina State. Little did I know that this was only a prelude to the 2003 Michigan game as well as the 2006 Texas Tech fiasco. Thank you Glen Mason!

I was at that NC State fiasco as well. Tellis Redmond ran for about 220 yards. It was a miserable, steamy night and Redmond just ran out of gas. Mason didn't rest him. The holes were still there in the 4th quarter but Redmond was just too tired to hit them on time. NC State had a freshman quarterback named Philip Rivers. I remember saying "This kid sure has a funky delivery. I wonder if he'll amount to something."

I remember that 1993 Illinois game. Wacker actually had the Gophers in position to win a third straight Big 10 game. Minnesota was up 20-8 in the fourth quarter. The game was in Champaign and it was windy with snow flurries. Illinois scored one touchdown and then the winning score in the last minute, thanks to some bizarre "hometown" clock stoppages. It was another "Jeezo Beezo" moment.

For what it's worth, the Gophers were only up by 28 at halftime. The 31 pt lead occurred a t 7:31 remaining in the 3rd qtr.
I recall that is when the "Fire Mason ' chants began at Sally's

For what it's worth, the Gophers were only up by 28 at halftime. The 31 pt lead occurred a t 7:31 remaining in the 3rd qtr.
I recall that is when the "Fire Mason ' chants began at Sally's

They started chanting 'Fire Mason' halfway through the third quarter with a 31 pt lead? Was Sally's hosting a meeting of clairvoyants at the time? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately Oregon didn't "take" the record. They tied it and created a big walk down memory lane for Gopher fans. I have to admit I found myself cheering for TCU simply have Oregon join the Gophers in at least tying the record.

Watched the Tech game at the sports betting area at New York New York in Vegas. Not another Gopher fan in sight. Did a lot of screaming and drank a lot of tequila. Nobody cared about my pain.

Unfortunately Oregon didn't "take" the record. They tied it and created a big walk down memory lane for Gopher fans. I have to admit I found myself cheering for TCU simply have Oregon join the Gophers in at least tying the record.

Exactly. We are also now tied in the devastating-punt-block-returned-for-touchdown-to-determine-result-of-paul-bunyan-themed-trophy-rivalry-game category. Glad to have company.

Watched the Tech game at the sports betting area at New York New York in Vegas. Not another Gopher fan in sight. Did a lot of screaming and drank a lot of tequila. Nobody cared about my pain.

I was in Chicago for the Tech game on a first trip with a new girlfriend. She went to a comedy show while I went to a Gopher bar near Wrigley to watch the game. Her show ended and she wandered in just before the Gophers kicked that FG to take a 31 point lead. She took note of the score and suggested that we could head out since the Gophers had the game put away. I told her she didn't know the Gophers very well if she thought the game was over.

I was in Chicago for the Tech game on a first trip with a new girlfriend. She went to a comedy show while I went to a Gopher bar near Wrigley to watch the game. Her show ended and she wandered in just before the Gophers kicked that FG to take a 31 point lead. She took note of the score and suggested that we could head out since the Gophers had the game put away. I told her she didn't know the Gophers very well if she thought the game was over.

I tell the same thing to my wife whenever she thinks the Gophers have the game won.

Glen Mason was on the Sports Huddle with Sid today (Sunday), and he was actually laughing about the fact that someone tied his record for the biggest blown lead in a bowl game. Said his twitter account was "blowing up" after the game. I came close to throwing my radio out the front door..........

I remember being at my parents for the holidays and the game was on a channel they didn't get at that time (NFL Network). So I ended up following it on the computer. I feel blessed I have never had to watch that game.

I was also at home for the holidays, and I was watching some sporting event I didn't care about just to follow it on the ticker. A buddy called around halftime to ask me out to pizza, and I figured "heck, we already won this one, and I'm not going to skip pizza just to see the score run by on the bottom of the screen." Never checked the final in the paper, and I actually made it back to campus thinking we had won.

Two questions:

1. Which did she find more comical?

2. Is she still your girlfriend?

Next thing you know they'll be copying our multiple uniform combo trend.:cool02:

Two questions:

1. Which did she find more comical?

2. Is she still your girlfriend?

Let me answer those questions in reverse order:

2. Yes, believe it or not, 9+ years later, she's still my girlfriend.

1. I just asked her and she said she doesn't remember the comedy show but she remembers what happened in the game!

I was at that NC State fiasco as well. Tellis Redmond ran for about 220 yards. It was a miserable, steamy night and Redmond just ran out of gas. Mason didn't rest him. The holes were still there in the 4th quarter but Redmond was just too tired to hit them on time. NC State had a freshman quarterback named Philip Rivers. I remember saying "This kid sure has a funky delivery. I wonder if he'll amount to something."

That was a good year for blowing leads. I still remember the hail marry that year vs NW

Glen Mason was on the Sports Huddle with Sid today (Sunday), and he was actually laughing about the fact that someone tied his record for the biggest blown lead in a bowl game. Said his twitter account was "blowing up" after the game. I came close to throwing my radio out the front door..........

Should he still be depressed about it? Some people can actually move on from things that happen in their lives and look back and laugh about it. Not GopherHolers, of course, but normal people.

Should he still be depressed about it? Some people can actually move on from things that happen in their lives and look back and laugh about it. Not GopherHolers, of course, but normal people.

The problem is he did not seem very bothered by it after it happened either.

They had 18 yards in the 2nd half, that's pretty horrific.

In my opinion those blow leads usually start with a big or a couple of preventable mistakes. Then the tide turns and its hard to reverse it.
1. '89 Ohio STate game: We are way ahead and force them to punt right before halftime. Ooops we have too many players on the field, OSU keeps the ball and scores a TD and 2 point conversion. Completely avoidable. The rest is history. Gutey had the same problem a couple of years earlier at the Metrodome when Iowa was given 2 opportunities to kick a winning field goal because we had too many guys on the field...

2. Illinois loss: We have made a great comeback and have the ball in poor field position. Darkins makes a great run and we are across midfield, the game should be won. He wisely dives to stay in bounds at the end of the run to keep the clock running, but is injured. The clock is stopped but will resume when the referee winds it. The Gophers break the huddle too soon Tim Schade takes the team to the line and they run the play when they should have stayed at the ball & let 25 more seconds run off the clock. He may have also audibled to pass from a run (on another play I think), threw an incomplete pass and stopped the clock that way too. We could have pretty much run out the clock my running the ball and staying in bounds, no matter what nefarious things the time keeper did. I wanted to fire Bob Debesse at that moment, but I had wanted to fire him before that too.

3. the Friday night Michigan game: The Gophers need to run time off the clock so the brilliantly run a bootleg pass on 1st own and its a pick 6. I am screaming at the top of my lungs, "Are we trying to lose this game!!!"

4. The bowl game to Texas Tech: Things are looking good with our 2nd drive of the 2nd half. WE run for a first down. So with a new set of downs and a huge lead we throw that stupid fade pass on first down. Our receiver is hand fighting with the db, incomplete. We pass again on second down and nearly take a huge loss. On 3rd we pass again, a young Eric Decker catches it going 100mph our of bounds, short of a first down. We give TTU 3 free TO's and have to punt. WE all know what happened next...

5. I an glad that I was not able to see the end of the Michigan game this year. From what I understand we all know that the receiver was tackled in bounds, so the clock would start when the referee wound it. But we decided to run all kinds of shifts, etc while the clock was running and ended up only having time to run two plays - freaking brilliant.

Man, have I tortured myself by being a Gopher fan. I know that I'm not alone on this board.

The problem is he did not seem very bothered by it after it happened either.
Wasn't there a fairly detailed post or blog entry a few years ago that tried to flesh out how the Mason era ended? Not just the firing, but the entire fall leading up to Bob Bruininks ordering the axe on the way home from Phoenix. Did MV have it on his FBT blog, or was it here?

Top Bottom