Oregon offers Tubby

I wish college basketball coaching changes were like that of when a tennis player decides to part ways with their coach...no one usually knows until the next grand slam, and they usualy don't even care when they do find out. This is nuts that these rumors came out while we were trying to get ready for a tournament game, now they are coming out with rumors while MSU is trying to get ready for the FINAL 4...something needs to be done with this crap. If Tubby want's to spend his last years trying to built a program that is good every few years when they luck out then so be it. I just don't see it happening unless Terell Brandon has found out he has another year of eligibilty (my favorite Cavs player of all time!!)

Per Andy Katz's twitter "@TheBigLead I was just saying what Maturi told me. He didn't think Tubby would leave." Probably knew that already, but whatever, FYI he said this an hour ago.

Katz has been the consistent in saying he thinks Coach Smith is staying. It's been Seth Davis and Marcus Fuller fueling this fire about Oregon. Jim Souhan stoked the fire about Auburn and has been quiet since that speculation now looks silly in hindsight considering what kind of task was at hand being that Auburn is stepchild in that region. Everyone seemed concerned about the Georgia Tech possibility. I don't know if they could have paid him there what he makes here, but possibility of being the big fish in recruiting The ATL has to be something that was appealing to him.

It was funny that TheBigLead guy thinks this is all a ploy for Coach Smith to extort more money out of the U.

Katz has been the consistent in saying he thinks Coach Smith is staying. It's been Seth Davis and Marcus Fuller fueling this fire about Oregon. Jim Souhan stoked the fire about Auburn and has been quiet since that speculation now looks silly in hindsight considering what kind of task was at hand being that Auburn is stepchild in that region. Everyone seemed concerned about the Georgia Tech possibility. I don't know if they could have paid him there what he makes here, but possibility of being the big fish in recruiting The ATL has to be something that was appealing to him.

It was funny that TheBigLead guy thinks this is all a ploy for Coach Smith to extort more money out of the U.

Even Seth Davis admitted yesterday his Tubby to Oregon talk was "informed speculation", emphasis on the word speculation. People really need to get a grip, people are really sounding like insecure school girls.

I have a feeling this is what life had been like for packers fans the last couple of years.

Oregon would be a lateral move for Tubby IMO. Currently, there is no doubt that Minnesota's basketball program is in better shape, but I think he'll have the same chance of winning a conference/national title at either school. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that the Ducks had three NBA players in there starting line-up and were perched near the top of the Pac 10, which, by the way, will get out of this funk sooner than later.
Oregon has more money and better facilities. Minnesota has more talent RIGHT NOW. Also, Oregon basketball is a pretty big deal in that state. From what I understand, there is a fair amount of pressure as head men's basketball coach for the Ducks.
THIS STORY HAS LEGS, AND ITS GOING TO KEEP MOVING UNTIL TUBBY COMES OUT AND SAYS SOMETHING...

So we don't have to put up with the same crap every year.

I think to be successful you have to have be committed to what you are doing. At a place like Minnesota it isn't a year to year project. If you are looking at and interviewing for other jobs every year you it will start to show and you will not be successful in the long run. The speculation is no big deal, but if you are interviewing and being offered jobs, yes it does matter.

Nothing new to report here. Tubby was offered the job last week (supposedly). Just confirming what was already reported.

Also, people don't have to be interviewed to get a job offer, espeically if they are a known entity...this goes for professional world in addition to coaching.

Until tubby takes the offer (or accepts the U's extension) this will drag on....

At a public University, you are kidding aren't you.

Boston College job now open so I guess Tubby will be rumored connect to that openinng too.

At a public University, you are kidding aren't you

Do u really think tubby interviewed at Minnesota? Dream on.

I have no idea why Tubby Smith other than money of course would want to go to Oregon.
I think he's staying put but there are reasons he would leave for Oregon other than money. Nike is very involved with Oregon basketball and the job search. Also, Oregon is building a new, state-of-the-art arena. And Oregon is similar to the Gophers when Tubby took over here. Like we were when Tubby took over, Oregon is a mediocre team in a prestigious conference. However, Oregon is building a new stadium, is involved with Nike and will pay him much more.

FOT

I agree 100% with FOT on this.

That so many folks take this slovenly journalism bait to start freaking out is laughable. Or they just like to foster stress among the Gopher fanbase I don't know which.

Some media person says something based on some cryptic unknown source or just tweets crap and then some other media outlet repeats it and then quotes the second outlet as if it is a second reaffirming source instead of a simple repeat of the first garbage source, etc, etc.

When I see Tubby in front of a mic saying he is taking a job at XYZ U I will believe it, until then I will take the gentleman at his word.

Sweet Jeebus !!!

Actually He Did Interview (By Telephone)

Do u really think tubby interviewed at Minnesota? Dream on.

In the wee hours of March 21, 2007 (PM) and March 22, 2007 (AM), he did a telephone interview with Minnesota AD and others.

Then he got on the airplane later on March 22nd to fly to Minnesota.

In the wee hours of March 21, 2007 (PM) and March 22, 2007 (AM), he did a telephone interview with Minnesota AD and others.

Then he got on the airplane later on March 22nd to fly to Minnesota.

I would have loved to have heard that interview:

Maturi: Hi Coach Smith. How are you doing this morning.

Tubby: I'm doing fine, thanks.

Maturi: Well, that gives us everything we need. When can you start?​

Maturi: Well, that gives us everything we need. When can you start?​

That's probably about it. I'm guessing Minnesota now also has a standard question somewhere along the lines of 'If the academic secretary offers to write papers on behalf of the players, what would your response be?"

yep

Maturi: Well, that gives us everything we need. When can you start?

Bingo

That's probably about it. I'm guessing Minnesota now also has a standard question somewhere along the lines of 'If the academic secretary offers to write papers on behalf of the players, what would your response be?"

hahahaha:clap:

No, it was an actual telephone interview in the middle of the night.

No, it was an actual telephone interview in the middle of the night.

Wow. That's a tough time of day to be doing a job interview. But I suppose it's pretty common with coaches who want to keep job prospects quiet.

Wow. That's a tough time of day to be doing a job interview. But I suppose it's pretty common with coaches who want to keep job prospects quiet.

Tubby's done that before. He had his final interview with S Car AD in 2001 (by phone) just before midnight. He ultimately declined the $2 million (per year) job offer and stayed at UK.

Kentucky AD had refused an extension. Tubby's contract was set to expire in 2002. All he had done was 110-33 (12-3 in NCAA games) and win 1 NC, 3 SEC, and 3 SECT in 4 years. Not enough there.

Top Bottom