Oregon offers Tubby

bruster

Reaction score
It was just on ESPN... "breaking news"
All that was said was that Oregon offered Tubby the head coaching job.

Based on Marcus's tweets he still thinks Tubby's going.

They're obviously going to be paying through the nose for this. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

If he was offered the job he obviously interviewed for it and it is beyond basic talks. It might be better if he takes it in the long run.

Well hopefully this will end today - either way.

I don't think he's going but I want it done.

If he was offered the job he obviously interviewed for it and it is beyond basic talks.

Really? They were prepared to offer Izzo as well without an interview.

Izzo had no contact with them and as far as we know Tubby hasn't either. Only unsubstaniated rumors.

So, now can we start talking about who the next coach should be. This is more than a rumor guys.

That is the key word. But, this is saying the HAVE offered. Being prepared and actaully doing it are 2 different things.

That is the key word. But, this is saying the HAVE offered. Being prepared and actaully doing it are 2 different things.

Um they can't have contact with a coach who has a team still playing.

Yes, and Tubby isnt' playing, meaning they could have talked to him. My thought is that they did talk with him, and don't want to wait around for Izzo, knowing he won't leave. So, they went ahead and offered the job to Tubs. This doesn't mean I think he will leave, just means I think he wanted to see what was out there and interviewed and they liked him. Doesn't mean he liked them.

Have none of you out here ever interviewed for a job even though you already have one?

If he was offered the job he obviously interviewed for it and it is beyond basic talks. It might be better if he takes it in the long run.

Not really. We offered Tubby the job before we had any real talks with him. All talks were only with his agent prior to that.

It's the same story, like FOT said, that Marcus Fuller started and got picked up by ESPN.

There is nothing new, nor anything confirmed other than a " source " from Fuller.

The same crapola perpetuating itself. It's like an f-ing virus.

I just find it funny that he hasn't come out and said he isn't going to leave. Sure, he said it about the Auburn job, but not about any other jobs. And this Ducks rumor has more legs than the Auburn one ever did. Tubs is holding up recruits from coming IMO, the U from looking for a new coach and just making gopher basketball fans angry. It all seems selfish to me.

Not to worried either way.

I have no idea why Tubby Smith other than money of course would want to go to Oregon. The program is not very strong and is in a Conference in flux. The Gophers however are currently in good position with the top young players developing and look strong for the next two seasons. The talent the Gophers have on the roster now is good enough to win 20 games and contend for a Big Ten Conference title over the next two years if some things can go the Gophers way. Oregon is a long way from that and I can't see a coach wanting to leave one rebuilding situation that is three years into it to go to another one that is at ground zero or below.

Tubby Smith is a very good coach and his name brings the program respect it would be tough to lose him. That being said if he goes he goes we will have to hire the best available coach out there and see if we can't win in his first two years to stay on the map.

It's annoying and maybe it hurts recruiting, but Izzo's name keeps coming up, as does Donovan's, there were even reports that Oregon traveled to meet with Dixon. It's not like we're the only school not perceived to be locked-in with our coach. It should also be noted that he hasn't won a tournament game or finished in the top half of the conference. He's resurrected the program from the basement, but he hasn't walked on water either.

We'll get a good coach if he leaves. Good talent without competition in-state and west and south of here. I do agree that we need a top-notch practice facility to compliment the program and market Williams Arena as the Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Boston Garden of college basketball.

Nothing new to report here. Tubby was offered the job last week (supposedly). Just confirming what was already reported.

Also, people don't have to be interviewed to get a job offer, espeically if they are a known entity...this goes for professional world in addition to coaching.

Until tubby takes the offer (or accepts the U's extension) this will drag on....

It would be hugely embarrassing to lose a basketball coach to the state of freaking Oregon!

Per Andy Katz's twitter "@TheBigLead I was just saying what Maturi told me. He didn't think Tubby would leave." Probably knew that already, but whatever, FYI he said this an hour ago.

Settle down...

I just don't get some of you. Getting worked up every time Smith's name comes up in connection with an opening.

As far as why doesn't Tubby refute this stuff, do you really expect him to hold a f'n press conference every time his name gets linked to an opening, JUST to make us all feel better? Are you really that insecure? And for some, it wouldn't make a difference anyway, you'd still feel like he's going to bolt.

As far as recruiting, these kids are in constant contact with the coaches and staff. If I'm a recruit, I'm putting more stock in what Tubby and his staff tell ME, DIRECTLY, than I do with what I see in a blurb on ESPN. This is business as usual, the staff knows how to handle these rumors, how to ease the concerns of recruits, etc.

For that matter, I would say the same about Maturi and Pres B; they don't have to come out every two days to give me the status of the coaching staff. I'm fine with not hearing anything from them.

When I see that another school is holding a press conference to announce the signing of Tubby Smith, I'll be concerned; and at that point I'll start wondering who the next coach will be. Until then, I've got more important things to worry about....

I just find it funny that he hasn't come out and said he isn't going to leave. Sure, he said it about the Auburn job, but not about any other jobs. And this Ducks rumor has more legs than the Auburn one ever did. Tubs is holding up recruits from coming IMO, the U from looking for a new coach and just making gopher basketball fans angry. It all seems selfish to me.

If you have not heard Tubby say he is not leaving, then you have not been listening. He said he is not a candidate for any other job and he is preparing for the Gophers next year. There is no legs behind this report, all the media outlets just cite each other as sources so it looks like there are multiple sources rather than just one source who made it up.

Top Bottom