Oregon 12 Players on the Field

Bielema did something similar at Wisconsin against Penn State. Had players purposely be offsides on 3 consecutive kickoffs and time ran out before to end the half and PSU couldn’t run offensive plays. Clock started on the kick at the time, and PSU choices were 5 yard penalty where they caught the ball or re-kick.
They should make it so the clock time is reset to the moment the ball was snapped (or kicked) on any defensive (or special teams) penalties under 0:30 or 1:00

This would prevent any type of defensive penalty shenanigans to shave time, including things like holding all the wide receivers or charging unabated at the QB

That becomes subjective though, doesn't it? I think putting the time back on the clock would be a better option.
If they're not running directly towards the sideline at the snap then it would be 15 yards IMO.

They should make it so the clock time is reset to the moment the ball was snapped (or kicked) on any defensive (or special teams) penalties under 0:30 or 1:00

This would prevent any type of defensive penalty shenanigans to shave time, including things like holding all the wide receivers or charging unabated at the QB
Or just let the non penalty committing team decide if they want the clock reset back to where it was or not.

If they're not running directly towards the sideline at the snap then it would be 15 yards IMO.
I'm going to sound totally nitpicky here...

Say the extra guy is lined up at end. Starts jogging toward the sideline at the snap. Reverses direction and gets into the play?

One fix would be to expand and emphasize the unfair act rule. Empower officials to, in the event of an intentional foul to gain a tactical advantage, craft a remedy that they think is sufficient to undo the advantage gained.

There is a rule that says if a player jumps off the bench to tackle a player who otherwise has a clear path to a TD, the refs award a touchdown instead of just 5 yards for 12 men on the field. I'm pretty sure that the origin for that rule was a situation where that happened in a Navy game a long time ago, and the refs basically said "there's no rule, but this is nonsense, so we are giving them the touchdown anyways." This would basically be a catch all to let refs address the next "loophole" that's found instead of waiting for it to be exploited and then changing it after it's too late. Obviously, there would be controversy and fans would whine when their team gets penalized that way.

A lot of the recent loopholes seem to come from taking deliberate penalties to get the benefit of time that runs off. Maybe an easier fix for those would just be to, for any penalty, give the unrealized team the option to restore the clock to where it was before the play. Sort of the opposite of the automatic runoff for some offensive penalties late in games.

I'm going to sound totally nitpicky here...

Say the extra guy is lined up at end. Starts jogging toward the sideline at the snap. Reverses direction and gets into the play?
Then he participated. A 5 yarder is only someone that is running to the sideline and stays there.

This guy would pull crap back in the day. IIRC at one point he had his team's football jerseys made with a football-shaped and colored patch sewn on the front with the idea that fake handoffs etc would be more deceptive. He also used some ethically questionable clock management tricks. Sounds like he did some nicer things later in life. https://www.thestate.com/news/local/environment/article268116237.html

Seems like any decision to add time back would need to apply to any defensive foul that gives them a game-altering unfair advantage - DPI, defensive holding, etc. I think that’s fine, although I also think it’s fine to keep things as they are. These games aren’t fair, and I appreciate gamesmanship.

Shouldn’t we be more upset the Big Ten will take no action after their officials took an obvious interception away from Oregon earlier in the game? Get them some glasses, Pettiti. OSU deserved to lose.

Top Bottom