Oregon 12 Players on the Field

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Coach admits that they plan these things and did it on purpose. Guy is a bit arrogant for my liking, but it worked. In HS this would have been a 15 yard penalty for playing with 12 players. In NFL and NCAA it's 5. Seems that should be switched.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-media-max-width="560"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dan Lanning&#39;s full answer below on if the 12 men on the field penalty vs. Ohio State was intentional.<br><br>To sum it up, it sure seems the answer is, &quot;Yes.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/BtmoqxTEIn">pic.twitter.com/BtmoqxTEIn</a></p>&mdash; Brenna Greene (@BrennaGreene_) <a href="">October 15, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The whole clock and penalty determination late in games seems like it is built for perverse incentives.

Having said that 15 would be kinda absurd too at times.

A non-sequitur, but any talk of "12 men in the huddle" gives me bad flashbacks to the Vikings vs New Orleans NFC Championship game ending debacle.

Now, back to the thread.

Throw his ass out of the league. he apparently doesn’t think that the rules and regulations apply to him. What a Schunk.

Just put the time back on the clock for that penalty, regardless of when it happens. Not a big fan of moves like that, kind of chickenspit in my opinion.

My first thought was, what would happen if they sent 20 guys out there instead of just 12?
My memory on this is fuzzy, but I believe that an NFL coach did this a few years ago. Sent out 13 or 14 defenders to stop the play and burn the time. Response was a rule change where now it's a pre-snap penalty if the defense has more than 11 in the formation with the play stopped before it starts and the yards are assessed with no time run off.

Last edited:

Throw his ass out of the league. he apparently doesn’t think that the rules and regulations apply to him. What a Schunk.
Can't be mad at a guy for knowing the rules. Like someone posted, this happened in the NFL and they changed the rule.

What he did was a penalty and Ohio State gained the penalty yardage. He obviously knew what the penalty yards were going to be and weighed the pros and cons. In a way it is kind of the basketball equivalent to fouling at the end of games.

Can't be mad at a guy for knowing the rules. Like someone posted, this happened in the NFL and they changed the rule.

What he did was a penalty and Ohio State gained the penalty yardage. He obviously knew what the penalty yards were going to be and weighed the pros and cons. In a way it is kind of the basketball equivalent to fouling at the end of games.
I'm fine with it too. Kinda like when I don't put money in the parking meters in Minneapolis. Am I breaking the rules? I don't think so - the rule is that I either put money in the machine or I get a ticket for not doing so.

It's not my fault they didn't come by and give me the ticket, right?

Thought it may have been on purpose live. Same concept as Belichick used to exploit in the NFL. Not his fault the rule is poorly written. There’s a reason there’s a 12 men on the field versus a 12 men in formation (this is called if they’re lined up in formation and can be a dead ball) and an illegal participation (an extra guy jumps on and makes a play. Would envision the rule gets rewritten in the offseason, but I also don’t see why defensive players let’s say late in a game don’t just tackle the wrs more frequently in college and let the clock run (like say 15 seconds left starting from your 30, it’s a ten yard penalty and then they have likely one play left from your 40 or even in the pros holding is a 5 yard penalty and you could just not ever let them off the ball). Teams should be given option to take the penalty AND decide what to do with the clock under 2 min left. Why should you be punished for the other team cheating?

I'm fine with it too. Kinda like when I don't put money in the parking meters in Minneapolis. Am I breaking the rules? I don't think so - the rule is that I either put money in the machine or I get a ticket for not doing so.

It's not my fault they didn't come by and give me the ticket, right?
Reminds me of one year when I was a student at the U. I decided to get creative with where I parked my car. Ended up with 3 parking tickets before I decided to stop doing that.

Not sure it should be a 15-yard penalty. Gophers lost to Iowa in 1986 on a re-kicked field goal moved up 15 yards. From an Iowa write up I found:

This game was played before overtime was part of college football. It was destined to end in a 27-27 stalemate when Houghtlin missed a 51-yard field-goal attempt with five ticks remaining.

The Gophers had 12 men on the field for the kick. A television shot of the Minnesota sideline showed coaches frantically trying to sneak a player off the field. A 15-yard penalty later, Houghtlin drilled a second-chance kick listed at 37 yards for the victory.

Last edited:

If a team is up late in the game in their territory & they're going to snap it on 4th down to their punter who is going to run around & then take the safety, most teams (if they're coached properly) are going to tackle all the guys rushing to possibly allow the punter more time to run around in the end zone prior to stepping out of the end zone.

The NFL example I think you're thinking about is Buddy Ryan; he ran a "Polish Punt Team" where at the end of the game, he'd put 14 guys out on the field. Either the ref calls it & time comes off the clock or they're incompetent & don't realize there's 14 guys on the field.

I think you'll see something tweaked. Possible solutions:
-Give the offensive team the option to have the clock returned to what it was (but still run the play in case they make a big play similar to an offsides penalty & team throwing it deep
-Become a dead ball foul & the yards are tacked on with no time run off the clock.

I agree with BigTen Guy; I think a 15 yard penalty is too severe. How many times do you see someone sprinting off the sidelines & the offense catches them & runs a hurry up play? And yes, I remember the Gophers 15 yard too many men penalty against Iowa in 1986.....

There are countless rules across many sports that were written because someone found a loophole in the exist rules and used it to get an advantage.

A coach doing something like this is nothing new.

If a team is up late in the game in their territory & they're going to snap it on 4th down to their punter who is going to run around & then take the safety, most teams (if they're coached properly) are going to tackle all the guys rushing to possibly allow the punter more time to run around in the end zone prior to stepping out of the end zone.

The NFL example I think you're thinking about is Buddy Ryan; he ran a "Polish Punt Team" where at the end of the game, he'd put 14 guys out on the field. Either the ref calls it & time comes off the clock or they're incompetent & don't realize there's 14 guys on the field.

I think you'll see something tweaked. Possible solutions:
-Give the offensive team the option to have the clock returned to what it was (but still run the play in case they make a big play similar to an offsides penalty & team throwing it deep
-Become a dead ball foul & the yards are tacked on with no time run off the clock.

I agree with BigTen Guy; I think a 15 yard penalty is too severe. How many times do you see someone sprinting off the sidelines & the offense catches them & runs a hurry up play? And yes, I remember the Gophers 15 yard too many men penalty against Iowa in 1986.....
An easy variation of this would be it's 15 yards if more than 11 guys participate in the play. And just 5 yards in a situation where a guy is running off the field.

Reminds me of one year when I was a student at the U. I decided to get creative with where I parked my car. Ended up with 3 parking tickets before I decided to stop doing that.
Yep
I went to school out of state, I would jump the curb with my truck to get in lots. Thought they might not get me with out of state license. The tickets eventually arrived.🤣

I'm in the camp where Ohio State should (if such a rule) have been given a couple options. One is that they could decline the penalty, and nothing happens as to clock and yardage. Or two, take the 5 yards and put the clock back to where it was. In a situation like this you can't be dinking around.

There's a whole debate to be had about whether intentionally breaking the rules at the end of a game, to win, is desirable. Basketball teams do it every single game (intentional fouls), which isn't in the spirit of the game. So I don't see how this is different. I'd rather sport be more pure, but I know that will never happen.

There's a whole debate to be had about whether intentionally breaking the rules at the end of a game, to win, is desirable. Basketball teams do it every single game (intentional fouls), which isn't in the spirit of the game. So I don't see how this is different. I'd rather sport be more pure, but I know that will never happen.
It's fine, until the point that the rules are written to make it not advantageous for doing it. OSU got the penalty yards - their reward for Oregon having too many men. It only was to Oregon's advantage because of when it occurred in the game.

Someone mentioned the Buddy Ryan "Polish Punt" team - same thing. Belichek knew the rulebook more than anyone and exploited it. It's part of the game.

An easy variation of this would be it's 15 yards if more than 11 guys participate in the play. And just 5 yards in a situation where a guy is running off the field.
That becomes subjective though, doesn't it? I think putting the time back on the clock would be a better option.

Bielema did something similar at Wisconsin against Penn State. Had players purposely be offsides on 3 consecutive kickoffs and time ran out before to end the half and PSU couldn’t run offensive plays. Clock started on the kick at the time, and PSU choices were 5 yard penalty where they caught the ball or re-kick.

Top Bottom