Orange Crush owns Barnyard

Stan

Reaction score
We see it every year they bring their busload or two to The Barn. Louder, more creative, much more active and having much more fun. Their team sucks this year just a tad less than ours, so our team sucking isn't an excuse. Hopefully the students that were there got a few tips.

What happened to the annual Barnyard trips the students took.

"Historically, the Orange Krush has used elaborate disguises to gain access to away games. In the spring of 2005, 100 members posed as "Youth Action", a fictitious Chicago-area youth-group, to get tickets to a game at Michigan. The Krush was offered a tour of the Crisler Arena, but declined. Instead, they were also offered a photo opportunity with then coach Tommy Amaker, which the Krush took advantage of before the game. The Krush did not reveal themselves as Orange-clad crazies until just before tip-off.[6]

In 2006, the Krush traveled to Minnesota and purchased student-section t-shirts to disguise themselves. After repeated successful trips, many Big 10 ticket offices imposed restrictions on tickets for Illinois games in an attempt to quell the invasions. In the spring of 2007, the Orange Krush posed as a Chicago-area Penn State Alumni organization and were able to get prime tickets right behind the basket, directly adjacent to the Penn State student section. They invaded Michigan in 2008, Purdue in 2009, Iowa in 2010, Minnesota in 2011, Nebraska in 2012, Northwestern in 2013, and Penn State in 2014 with about 150 members participating every year. Opposing Universities have imposed restricted ticket sales for games against Illinois because of this.[7]"

"Historically, the Orange Krush has used elaborate disguises to gain access to away games. In the spring of 2005, 100 members posed as "Youth Action", a fictitious Chicago-area youth-group, to get tickets to a game at Michigan. The Krush was offered a tour of the Crisler Arena, but declined. Instead, they were also offered a photo opportunity with then coach Tommy Amaker, which the Krush took advantage of before the game. The Krush did not reveal themselves as Orange-clad crazies until just before tip-off.[6]

In 2006, the Krush traveled to Minnesota and purchased student-section t-shirts to disguise themselves. After repeated successful trips, many Big 10 ticket offices imposed restrictions on tickets for Illinois games in an attempt to quell the invasions. In the spring of 2007, the Orange Krush posed as a Chicago-area Penn State Alumni organization and were able to get prime tickets right behind the basket, directly adjacent to the Penn State student section. They invaded Michigan in 2008, Purdue in 2009, Iowa in 2010, Minnesota in 2011, Nebraska in 2012, Northwestern in 2013, and Penn State in 2014 with about 150 members participating every year. Opposing Universities have imposed restricted ticket sales for games against Illinois because of this.[7]"

That's hilarious.

AND dedication.

I noticed they took over the first couple of rows in the student section where most of the people in costumes usually are at tip off. After the first TV timeout, they were gone and the usual people were back. Curious how that conversation went.

People have been devising clever and increasingly desperate ways of escaping Urbana-Champaign, even for a day or so, for decades.

This is actually pretty cool. The Big Ten should encourage this from the Orange Crush, or at least play along a bit more than they do. Good job, kids.

This is actually pretty cool. The Big Ten should encourage this from the Orange Crush, or at least play along a bit more than they do. Good job, kids.

I'm not sure if they still do this, but when I was on The Barnyard Board, we talked to them quite a bit (as well as other schools, to learn from better student sections) and they also raised a TON of money for charity. That's how they got good seats, they'd fundraise for their tickets. Can't knock that, mad respect for a great student section...and as Stan mentioned, they stink, so it's not one of those "win - and the students will show" type of things.

I noticed they took over the first couple of rows in the student section where most of the people in costumes usually are at tip off. After the first TV timeout, they were gone and the usual people were back. Curious how that conversation went.

"Show me your U of M student ticket and student ID."

"I don't have a student ID."

"Then you can't have these seats."

End scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom