Opt outs

Jack jones

Reaction score
While I know there has been discussion on JMS not playing in the bowl. I am wondering what about the opt outs.

yes, I know we didn’t have any others but would do you think if perhaps Jackson said, “I’m not playing because they have a stud at free safety and I don’t want to hurt my chances for next year”.

or our rt. Guard opting out because they have an all-American at nose tackle.

It seems to me like we have opened a can of worms.

Paraphrasing what’s on the scholarship letter, the player is asked to support his teammates, his coaches, and represent the university best that he can. Opting out of a bowl game fails on all three components.

i

I'm guessing no one is dumb enough to opr out if they have eligibility and are planning on returning. It's one thing if you go in the portal or are declaring for the draft but tough to comeback from quitting on your brothers because you're scared

Most of us competed because we wanted to go up against the best. I'm sure there are a few guys who might be scared, but I would surmise those are in the significant minority.

Declaring for draft or portal - different animal, although I'd still play. Injuries are a part of the game. Either accept that or perhaps try competitive minnow racing. :)

It’s their health and their career. Their decision.

Everything else is a bunch of folks who selfishly want other people to entertain them….
I understand why it’s done but it’s always bothered me a little when a player sits because he doesn’t want to get hurt. The entire season is about the players entertaining the fans. That’s the agreement.

While I know there has been discussion on JMS not playing in the bowl. I am wondering what about the opt outs.

yes, I know we didn’t have any others but would do you think if perhaps Jackson said, “I’m not playing because they have a stud at free safety and I don’t want to hurt my chances for next year”.

Paraphrasing what’s on the scholarship letter, the player is asked to support his teammates, his coaches, and represent the university best that he can. Opting out of a bowl game fails on all three components.

i
I don’t think the nfl would look kindly on players opting out because they are facing someone good. Nor would coaches if the player were to return.

get used to it.

if your team is not in the playoffs, I think it's highly likely going forward that any player with a shot at being drafted is going to opt out.

If Mo had already broken the records, I don't think he ever sets foot on the field.

I repeat - if your team is not in the playoffs, the mid-level bowl games are glorified exhibitions.
when you weigh 'school spirit' against a possible pro contract, the pro money is going to win.

just have to re-think how you view bowl games. Instead of a send-off for the graduating players, bowl games will now be a try-out for the younger players. and that's fine, as long as you adjust your expectations.

Dafuq??? Who has opted out of playing in a bowl game based upon the opponent they were up against???

i
I think the fine line is the part of making a business decision for his future career and a player being scared of another player.

I don’t blame JMS one bit.

Honestly expanding the playoffs may be the only way to get the top college juniors and seniors to play in bowl games anymore...maybe time to start carving up the millions generated by bowl games with the players...$500 in swag doesn't cut it.

I really don’t care that much anymore. Yes it’s nice to see the best players play. But it also gives opportunities for other guys to get reps. Nubin not playing (I’m guessing he plays if it was the middle of the season) gave very valuable reps to Bryson.

Honestly expanding the playoffs may be the only way to get the top college juniors and seniors to play in bowl games anymore...maybe time to start carving up the millions generated by bowl games with the players...$500 in swag doesn't cut it.
I don't know if this is legal or not.

But if Player X has an NIL deal, could that deal be contingent on Player X appearing in a bowl game?

(or - being cynical - could Player X be offered an under-the-table deal promising more NIL if they play in the Bowl Game?)

Or - another option: NIL deal covers insurance for draft-eligible players who appear in bowl games.

get used to it.

if your team is not in the playoffs, I think it's highly likely going forward that any player with a shot at being drafted is going to opt out.

If Mo had already broken the records, I don't think he ever sets foot on the field.

I repeat - if your team is not in the playoffs, the mid-level bowl games are glorified exhibitions.
when you weigh 'school spirit' against a possible pro contract, the pro money is going to win.

just have to re-think how you view bowl games. Instead of a send-off for the graduating players, bowl games will now be a try-out for the younger players. and that's fine, as long as you adjust your expectations.
Would you be okay then with a player sitting out the last two or three games if they’re out of the playoffs?

I don't know if this is legal or not.

But if Player X has an NIL deal, could that deal be contingent on Player X appearing in a bowl game?

(or - being cynical - could Player X be offered an under-the-table deal promising more NIL if they play in the Bowl Game?)

Or - another option: NIL deal covers insurance for draft-eligible players who appear in bowl games.
Currently, NIL isn’t regulated, so I expect that any terms that are not illegal, could be used.

get used to it.

This isn’t at all what the OP was talking about.

I understand why it’s done but it’s always bothered me a little when a player sits because he doesn’t want to get hurt. The entire season is about the players entertaining the fans. That’s the agreement.
Everyone gets to decide when THEY take risks.

So do they ....

Everyone gets to decide when THEY take risks.

So do they ....
What do you think is going to happen when the players are considered employees? And what happens when they are told they have to play because employees are required to work for their pay? And on and on... etc, etc, etc...

One thing that may happen...(MAY Happen) with NIL effect is that the opt outs of bowls to prevent injury for the NFL draft consideration may be less because they are getting NIL money... I don't know... all speculation.

What do you think is going to happen when the players are considered employees? And what happens when they are told they have to play because employees are required to work for their pay? And on and on... etc, etc, etc...

One thing that may happen...(MAY Happen) with NIL effect is that the opt outs of bowls to prevent injury for the NFL draft consideration may be less because they are getting NIL money... I don't know... all speculation.
Nobody “has” to play a sport.

Nobody can make you play.

Nobody “has” to play a sport.

Nobody can make you play.
Nobody has to flip hamburgers or drive a truck either. The thing is that if you do those things, your employer has a say in what you do, when you do it, how you do it, etc...

Nobody has to flip hamburgers or drive a truck either. The thing is that if you do those things, your employer has a say in what you do, when you do it, how you do it, etc...
Or you just don’t.

Like… not playing in a game.

You think it's easy to get employees back to work when they were injured while working?

None of these hypotheticals where we start treating the athletes like employees would hurt the athletes.

It’s amazing isn’t it. I feel your pain.

i
For the sake of argument, is the scholarship agreement even remotely relevant since the semester is over? They really aren't even enrolled students at that point.

Hey, I got a job at Piggly Wiggly in 1976 and was told I had to bag groceries. I sucked it up and bagged them damn groceries.

Top Bottom