Opt-outs for Pinstipe Bowl (so far so good!)

I'm thinking someone doesn't gamble. Saw -7.5 by the Gophers and figured that meant we're underdogs.

I don't gamble either but what the positives and negatives say about the game is pretty easy to figure out. All you have to do is look at teams like Ohio State, Alabama, and Georgia and notice that they almost always have negative numbers by their names.

I'm probably in the minority but I've never agreed with the idea that bowl games are meaningless. It counts on the record just like every other game on the schedule. If we consider bowl games meaningless then is the only differential between this game and our regular season game against Colorado the idea that we could make the playoff? Because if that's the case then nonconference games are meaningless for about 80% of CFB teams.

Absolutely.

If people think this game is meaningless, then why are they taking the time to post about it?

I'm planning on watching the game, and I might even (dare I say it?) enjoy the experience. If someone else thinks it isn't worth their time, so be it. Skip it.

I don't gamble either but what the positives and negatives say about the game is pretty easy to figure out. All you have to do is look at teams like Ohio State, Alabama, and Georgia and notice that they almost always have negative numbers by their names.

Yes. Pretty easy to figure it out.

I'm probably in the minority but I've never agreed with the idea that bowl games are meaningless. It counts on the record just like every other game on the schedule. If we consider bowl games meaningless then is the only differential between this game and our regular season game against Colorado the idea that we could make the playoff? Because if that's the case then nonconference games are meaningless for about 80% of CFB teams.

Of course they aren't meaningless. I think too many fans absorb the blustery ideas and slogans of sports media people who intentionally try to be controversial. I've always thought that the bowl game was the most important game as the final performance of the season that will carry you through next nine months. Also, your bowl game is nationally televised and has less competition from competing games than your team would face during the regular season. That allows for more casual observers to see your team.

Of course they aren't meaningless. I think too many fans absorb the blustery ideas and slogans of sports media people who intentionally try to be controversial. I've always thought that the bowl game was the most important game as the final performance of the season that will carry you through next nine months. Also, your bowl game is nationally televised and has less competition from competing games than your team would face during the regular season. That allows for more casual observers to see your team.

Spot on.

As for the bolded part: They want to be like Barrierro, but they lack the skills. Dan has the whole 'trolling for controversy' thing down to a sweet (and lucrative!) science. He's perfected the role of the gadfly who poses as the voice of reason. He knows exactly when to be subtle, and when to unleash the full stream of venom.

Yes, saying they're meaningless is either a display of ignorance or a dependence on cliches for impact. All the individual stats from the game count and a win or loss is attached to the record.

The Gophers will be either 9-4 this season or 8-5. Not 8-4.

Meaningless??? I can't imagine a player feeling that way when their team steps on the field. The main reason they work so hard is to play or help those who do play on game day.

Fans are different animals. Some care, some don't. Even though my playing days are a distant memory, I still care when the Gophers take the field.

Meaningless??? I can't imagine a player feeling that way when their team steps on the field. The main reason they work so hard is to play or help those who do play on game day.

Fans are different animals. Some care, some don't. Even though my playing days are a distant memory, I still care when the Gophers take the field.

Well, if someone doesn't care, are they really a fan? Seems contradictory.

I don't think you are in the minority in feeling that way at all. It is still part of the season and counts in your season record so it isn't meaningless. Similar to a non-conf game, it has less overall value than your conference games but it is still important.

9-4 gets you closer to the 2023 pre-season top 25...being in top 25 helps recruiting, helps ticket sales, helps get better TV slots and better start times....in future, with expanding playoffs, ranking is going to be more and more important

with that said, with so much importance on the play-offs (and that is expanding), with so many coaches job hopping after regular season ends, with so many players team hopping via portal or opting out for NFL, with so many bowls now...it is becoming more and more meaningless

they should just expand playoffs to 24 or 32 now

9-4 gets you closer to the 2023 pre-season top 25...being in top 25 helps recruiting, helps ticket sales, helps get better TV slots and better start times....in future, with expanding playoffs, ranking is going to be more and more important

with that said, with so much importance on the play-offs (and that is expanding), with so many coaches job hopping after regular season ends, with so many players team hopping via portal or opting out for NFL, with so many bowls now...it is becoming more and more meaningless

Bowl games are only meaningless if you are someone who has the playoffs or bust mentality. If you don't have that mindset then bowl games still have value even if they are not playoff games.

Bowl games are only meaningless if you are someone who has the playoffs or bust mentality. If you don't have that mindset then bowl games still have value even if they are not playoff games.
In my mind the beauty of college football has always been that every program can have different views of success - it's not championship or bust like in pro sports. We all have fond memories of 2019, Alabama went 11-2 that year as well and it was a total disappointment for them. To me, winning the axe the last 2 years has been very special, even if we didn't win the west, the B10, or make the playoff. If I was going to think playoff or bust, I would cancel my season tickets and not bother watching.

Nice! And, much like in College Basketball, make the regular season REALLY meaningless.;)

We were 7-5 against the spread?

Yes, but I read a troubling stat: we were only 1-4 against the spread when we were favored by less than 10 points. Kind of like the way the season went. We beat the hell out of lesser teams but struggled with better ones.

I think it is much more simple than that. Bowl games are only meaningless if you don’t care about your team’s win loss record. By extension: only meaningless if you don’t care about winning.

I kinda want Mo to opt out…

Not for the game but for him.

You’ve done more than enough Mo!
He's 24 years old, his draft prospects are what they are, might as well play, going to be tough sledding for him at the next level unfortunately

It’s not meaningless to the staff or the players - one more time to play with your teammates and enjoy all that offers.

His draft prospects could change after an injury…
potential Day 3 pick too less likely day 3 pick isn't that big of a deal. Love Mo, but he also spent half his NFL prime years in college, short shelf life for backs in the NFL, especially backs coming off ACL surgery who don't have breakaway speed, his strengths aren't going to be strengths at the next level

potential Day 3 pick too less likely day 3 pick isn't that big of a deal. Love Mo, but he also spent half his NFL prime years in college, short shelf life for backs in the NFL, especially backs coming off ACL surgery who don't have breakaway speed, his strengths aren't going to be strengths at the next level
Vs no pick?

Top Bottom