Opt Out/Gone

My bad i had a Ryan Lefebvre moment.

Ryan did play OF for John Anderson, I remember him mostly in LF but could be wrong. Might have played some CF. They had some really good ball players while I was at the U, '88-'91.

is this based on "inside information" or did the magic 8-ball tell you this?

Sorry - I just have a hard time believing that some anonymous poster on a message board knows more than the writers who cover this team for a living.

I don't expect anyone to betray a source, but at least indicate to some extent where the information is coming from. assuming that you are not off your meds and receiving messages from your neighbor's dog.

Ryan Burns knows a whole lot more than he posts on Twitter and a lot of it is on Gopher Illustrated.

"Better than the media"?

Okay, I'll accept that as long as you can give some specific examples of him being "better than the media".
Well, if you listen to PJ's press conferences you know everything the media writes.
It is comical...they all just transcribe the content and more often than not they leave out the stuff
I went "hmmm" on while listening. They are puppets.

The interesting thing to me is, GI makes money selling subscriptions to people who want to find out early about information .... that is completely controlled by Fleck and the team.

Why are they letting Burns and GI make that money, giving away the information for free? Why don't they just control the information and sell it to fans directly?

The interesting thing to me is, GI makes money selling subscriptions to people who want to find out early about information .... that is completely controlled by Fleck and the team.

Why are they letting Burns and GI make that money, giving away the information for free? Why don't they just control the information and sell it to fans directly?
Some of this is interesting as to thought. However when it comes to recruiting and dealing with the recruits directly, I don't believe the Gophers could be directly involved as to release of information.

Some of this is interesting as to thought. However when it comes to recruiting and dealing with the recruits directly, I don't believe the Gophers could be directly involved as to release of information.
This is correct. Coaches cannot publicly talk about recruits until they have signed their LOI.

This so called season is going to require some resilience in the players, coaching staff and the fans.
Some players may rightly see the "season" as meaningless and why should they risk an injury that would endanger a NFL career or hamper their life after football.
Games may be cancelled, critical players infected, whole teams in quarantine for these have happened so far in the NFL and college.
Let us not be like NE fans who seem to have no other life but watching 'their teams' play football.

This so called season is going to require some resilience in the players, coaching staff and the fans.
Some players may rightly see the "season" as meaningless and why should they risk an injury that would endanger a NFL career or hamper their life after football.
Games may be cancelled, critical players infected, whole teams in quarantine for these have happened so far in the NFL and college.
Let us not be like NE fans who seem to have no other life but watching 'their teams' play football.

Sounds like a Badger fan setting the stage for when his team loses.

Yes, thanks. Very good point. I was thinking about injury news, players transferring, who's sitting out for a week's game, etc.

So I wonder then, would it be illegal for the school to profit off that information directly?

But if the coach tells Ryan Burns, or otherwise "somehow" Burns finds the information out, he (and GI) are then allowed to profit off that? That seems beyond silly.

This is correct. Coaches cannot publicly talk about recruits until they have signed their LOI.
I suppose there are good reasons and examples for the spirit of this rule and why it was put in place.

But the information always seems to "get out", regardless. So why are Burns/GI allowed to profit off that information, but the school can't? Seems silly, at some level.

I suppose there are good reasons and examples for the spirit of this rule and why it was put in place.

But the information always seems to "get out", regardless. So why are Burns/GI allowed to profit off that information, but the school can't? Seems silly, at some level.

I'd say recruiting websites and specifically ones for individual teams have definitely changed the landscape. But I believe the spirit of it was that if a coach can talk about specific commits, they could use it as a bit of a recruiting advantage when doing interviews or press conference. Obviously before the internet, if a coach couldn't talk about it in the newspaper or a magazine, they didn't really have a way to get word out to other recruits and their families.

These days, GI (and each similar site for other schools) in a way acts as a marketing vehicle for the program (without that official designation). The programs know that they have to have some way to disseminate recruiting info out to the public to build excitement and they know that a local newspaper doesn't have the space to go into as much detail as a site like GI. So it seems like it's a bit of quid-pro-quo. They give people like Burns the best source/s and info and he gives them positive coverage with lots more details than a regular reporter is able.

I agree, it seems kinda silly at this point, but we talkin' 'bout the NCAA here. So...

I'd say recruiting websites and specifically ones for individual teams have definitely changed the landscape. But I believe the spirit of it was that if a coach can talk about specific commits, they could use it as a bit of a recruiting advantage when doing interviews or press conference. Obviously before the internet, if a coach couldn't talk about it in the newspaper or a magazine, they didn't really have a way to get word out to other recruits and their families.

These days, GI (and each similar site for other schools) in a way acts as a marketing vehicle for the program (without that official designation). The programs know that they have to have some way to disseminate recruiting info out to the public to build excitement and they know that a local newspaper doesn't have the space to go into as much detail as a site like GI. So it seems like it's a bit of quid-pro-quo. They give people like Burns the best source/s and info and he gives them positive coverage with lots more details than a regular reporter is able.

I agree, it seems kinda silly at this point, but we talkin' 'bout the NCAA here. So...
Good points.

I guess my thought isn't really that much more different than the idea that the school can just make its own broadcasts of its own home games, and sell them direct to customers via internet streaming.

Yeah, they could, but that would be a huge risk to take on and a ton of work.

Although that analogy isn't perfect, because I doubt GI pays the U anything. Maybe they should kickback a slice ... ?

Sounds like a Badger fan setting the stage for when his team loses.
That was not my ntention nor my motivation but if it makes you feel better to believe that I am happy for you.

is this based on "inside information" or did the magic 8-ball tell you this?

Sorry - I just have a hard time believing that some anonymous poster on a message board knows more than the writers who cover this team for a living.

I don't expect anyone to betray a source, but at least indicate to some extent where the information is coming from. assuming that you are not off your meds and receiving messages from your neighbor's dog.

Keep in mind the writers may "know" the information by can't verify it, so don't report it, although the truth doesn't often get in the way of Minnesota sports writers, so this argument is based on an assumption of integrity.

"Better than the media"?

Okay, I'll accept that as long as you can give some specific examples of him being "better than the media".

He literally said that he doesn't care if you accept it.

As to the point of your post, almost every Gopher related piece of information (commitments, rumors, injuries, decommits, Shannon Brooks beating up his roommate) is reported by someone on Gopherhole or GopherIllustrated before it's in the media.

Does anyone really know what’s going on with Dunlap. I don’t see him on the roster!

Top Bottom