Opening Day Tailgate - Vegas Baby! (no complaining about 4 v. 6 hrs here please)

PotatoMan

Reaction score
Moderator - not clear whether tailgate party thread should be 'football' or 'off topic' - leave it to your discretion.

In a different thread I say my disgruntled piece about how the 'U' handled the communication around the opening day tailgating situation and really gave a raw deal to St. Paul lot folks who planned parties during the summer. But from what I've heard directly from AD Teague via Twitter, the 4 hours for everyone else is what we're going to get and that's that. So, having said my piece to him and this forum, I'm on to "accepting the things I cannot change" and focusing on how I'll get the most out of the 4 hours I've got.

I tend to theme my two-spot tailgate in SKI U MAH (usually right at the entrance by the light pole, but moves around based on our place in line) after the opponent so that it's different every week - all orange food for Syracuse (circus peanuts for 6 hrs... hmm), Bison meatloaf for NDSU, you get the idea... Well, Vegas doesn't necessarily have a signature food (hard liquor?) or an edible mascot, but of course Vegas itself - heck Party City has a year long aisle dedicated to Vegas parties. So there's that...

I haven't priced it yet, but I'm going to look into a Fastsign that clones the 'famous' Las Vegas strip one and says either "Welcome to Fabulous SKI U MAH, Minnesota" or perhaps "Welcome to Fabulous MINNESOTA, USA" -- If I get my usual spots this could be a cool way to welcome everyone into our lot... maybe cost prohibitive though - we'll see...

Also thinking of buying one of those dry erase prize wheels and having gopher stickers, chocolate poker chips and some other low price giveaways for the kids who wander by... I think the cops would probably let that slide as "not gambling".

Then maybe a cake fondanted over as a dice in Maroon and Gold to finish it off?

Other ideas for me? What are you doing for your opening day tailgate?

Maybe I need this strapped to a tent post with a maroon 'M' on lapel? http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/b...roductsCatalog&categoryId=377320&sku=13577252

What happens in the Ski U Mah lot, stays in the Ski U Mah lot...

For the record it's only 3 hours. 6:00 game time, 3:00 tailgating start...

Didn't whine (yet)... :)

For the record it's only 3 hours. 6:00 game time, 3:00 tailgating start...

Didn't whine (yet)... :)

Just to create a majority, yes, it really is a 2PM start. Norwood Teague has been telling people on his Twitter Feed and the Gopher Football twitter feed had the official announcement. They clawed back an hour after the fan guides were printed.

Gopher Football ‏@GopherFootball 3 Aug:
Tailgating lots open at 2 pm on Aug. 29. Not 3 pm which is printed on materials you will receive with tickets. #1MoreHour #ParkingLotParty

What happens in the Ski U Mah lot, stays in the Ski U Mah lot...
Haha...good one.

I do something similar, except mine is just with beer. I usually try to find a micro-brew from the area or state of our opponent. Anyone know of a good Vegas beer you can find in MN? The brewery at Main Street Station is the only thing I can think of off-hand, but I don't think they bottle.

Haha...good one.

I do something similar, except mine is just with beer. I usually try to find a micro-brew from the area or state of our opponent. Anyone know of a good Vegas beer you can find in MN? The brewery at Main Street Station is the only thing I can think of off-hand, but I don't think they bottle.

Sorry no... if you locate one please send me a PM once you've bought your stock :)

21st Amendment is at least somewhat close and in cans - if you smuggle bottles into a 'U' lot then Stone is not super far away in CA...

Thinking ahead:
Western Illinois: Yikes, another dead zone... Two Brothers is at least from Western Chicago -- in cans you're looking at Tallgrass (KS)
SJ State: Much easier - 21st Amendment obvious cans choice / Anchor in bottles
Iowa: Millstream (bottles), Madhouse (think that's bottles too)
Nebraska: Uh oh...
Wisconsin: Too many to list...
Penn State: Can you get Yuengling in cans here? I think maybe not... Victory/Weyerbacher in bottles...

Sorry no... if you locate one please send me a PM once you've bought your stock :)

21st Amendment is at least somewhat close and in cans - if you smuggle bottles into a 'U' lot then Stone is not super far away in CA...

Thinking ahead:
Western Illinois: Yikes, another dead zone... Two Brothers is at least from Western Chicago -- in cans you're looking at Tallgrass (KS)
SJ State: Much easier - 21st Amendment obvious cans choice / Anchor in bottles
Iowa: Millstream (bottles), Madhouse (think that's bottles too)
Nebraska: Uh oh...
Wisconsin: Too many to list...
Penn State: Can you get Yuengling in cans here? I think maybe not... Victory/Weyerbacher in bottles...

Western Illinois look at Three Angels Brewing
http://threeangelsbrewing.com/

Buffets

Moderator - not clear whether tailgate party thread should be 'football' or 'off topic' - leave it to your discretion.

In a different thread I say my disgruntled piece about how the 'U' handled the communication around the opening day tailgating situation and really gave a raw deal to St. Paul lot folks who planned parties during the summer. But from what I've heard directly from AD Teague via Twitter, the 4 hours for everyone else is what we're going to get and that's that. So, having said my piece to him and this forum, I'm on to "accepting the things I cannot change" and focusing on how I'll get the most out of the 4 hours I've got.

I tend to theme my two-spot tailgate in SKI U MAH (usually right at the entrance by the light pole, but moves around based on our place in line) after the opponent so that it's different every week - all orange food for Syracuse (circus peanuts for 6 hrs... hmm), Bison meatloaf for NDSU, you get the idea... Well, Vegas doesn't necessarily have a signature food (hard liquor?) or an edible mascot, but of course Vegas itself - heck Party City has a year long aisle dedicated to Vegas parties. So there's that...

I haven't priced it yet, but I'm going to look into a Fastsign that clones the 'famous' Las Vegas strip one and says either "Welcome to Fabulous SKI U MAH, Minnesota" or perhaps "Welcome to Fabulous MINNESOTA, USA" -- If I get my usual spots this could be a cool way to welcome everyone into our lot... maybe cost prohibitive though - we'll see...

Also thinking of buying one of those dry erase prize wheels and having gopher stickers, chocolate poker chips and some other low price giveaways for the kids who wander by... I think the cops would probably let that slide as "not gambling".

Then maybe a cake fondanted over as a dice in Maroon and Gold to finish it off?

Other ideas for me? What are you doing for your opening day tailgate?

Maybe I need this strapped to a tent post with a maroon 'M' on lapel? http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/b...roductsCatalog&categoryId=377320&sku=13577252

Vegas is famous for buffets. Should make it easy....lol
My understanding was there was no bus from the St Paul lot to the game? No?

I won't complain about the shortened hours. I just got word today that I need to be in Omaha Wednesday and Thursday of the home opener. Last meeting should end around noon, and I hope to be home in time to watch it on TV. Sadly, no tailgating for me, just grilling at home with a bunch of beer.

Vegas has strippers. Anything you can do to include them would be 2-thumbs up from me.

This thread is more like it! Last year my friends and I sometimes would buy a case of Blatz, Schlitz, or Schmidts in honor of our father's who drank those fine brews (and because they are good). We would walk around the Ski U Mah lot sharing them with others. I don't quite have the budget yet to get a spot in the tailgate lot, but enjoy being around all of the fun fans. Is this type of behavior acceptable?

What foods and drinks are people looking forward to enjoying at their Tailgate this year?

What foods and drinks are people looking forward to enjoying at their Tailgate this year?

Great question!! So far it's the essentials like wild rice brats, kobe burger sliders and game day bloody marys. For some reason bacon wrapped shrimp was a big hit last year so probably those as well. I tried making ribs and those were great but a little difficult to prepare.

This thread is more like it! Last year my friends and I sometimes would buy a case of Blatz, Schlitz, or Schmidts in honor of our father's who drank those fine brews (and because they are good). We would walk around the Ski U Mah lot sharing them with others. I don't quite have the budget yet to get a spot in the tailgate lot, but enjoy being around all of the fun fans. Is this type of behavior acceptable?

Acceptable and encouraged by those of us in the lot, I'll be on the lookout for a Blatz this fall.

Great question!! So far it's the essentials like wild rice brats, kobe burger sliders and game day bloody marys. For some reason bacon wrapped shrimp was a big hit last year so probably those as well. I tried making ribs and those were great but a little difficult to prepare.

A tip on the ribs.
Dry rub a rack or two of baby back ribs the night or two before, cook in an oven for a few hours at really low heat 150-200. They'll be done 3-4 hours, then let cool/rest and stow in the fridge until gameday. Take them out and just toss them on the grill til the rub is crusty on the outside, cut up and serve as finger food. No plates even necessary.

Acceptable and encouraged by those of us in the lot, I'll be on the lookout for a Blatz this fall.

Cheers Tim Riggins!
Has anyone been to the Butcher and the Boar yet? They make all of their own brats/sausages and now you can buy them at Lunds/Byerlys. I am excited to give them a try soon at a tailgater.

We do a bacon-themed tailgate for the Iowa game. Bacon wrapped shrimp, bacon wrapped pepper poppers, bacon wrapped chicken fingers. Even bacon infused beer and maple bacon donuts.

A tip on the ribs.
Dry rub a rack or two of baby back ribs the night or two before, cook in an oven for a few hours at really low heat 150-200. They'll be done 3-4 hours, then let cool/rest and stow in the fridge until gameday. Take them out and just toss them on the grill til the rub is crusty on the outside, cut up and serve as finger food. No plates even necessary.

Thanks for the tip! This will make it a lot easier!

A tip on the burgers.
Don't use kobe (or whatever it is you buy in the states labeled as "Kobe"). The point of kobe, waygu, etc. is that the meat is incredible well marbled. That's why it's so expensive. If you're going to grind it up, it completely ruins the point of the well marbled meat. It's just as easy to grind some extra beef fat into some lean ground beef. Plus it's a buttload cheaper.

We do a bacon-themed tailgate for the Iowa game. Bacon wrapped shrimp, bacon wrapped pepper poppers, bacon wrapped chicken fingers. Even bacon infused beer and maple bacon donuts.

That sounds great! Bacon infused beer now that is interesting.

A tip on the burgers.
Don't use kobe (or whatever it is you buy in the states labeled as "Kobe"). The point of kobe, waygu, etc. is that the meat is incredible well marbled. That's why it's so expensive. If you're going to grind it up, it completely ruins the point of the well marbled meat. It's just as easy to grind some extra beef fat into some lean ground beef. Plus it's a buttload cheaper.

Great idea and a heck of a lot cheaper. The only reason I do it is because I can get kobe ground very very cheap.

What I'm really missing is another drink. A lot of people like bloody marys however some just aren't into it. Any suggestions?

What I'm really missing is another drink. A lot of people like bloody marys however some just aren't into it. Any suggestions?

Depends on the time of year, and game time. If it's a later game, well pretty much the whole bar is open. For those who choose to imbibe in the early hours, the very brave could go with the Prairie Oyster. A Morning Glory Fizz has an appropriate name, but honestly I've never had one (or the Oyster either).

Just came across this interesting looking one while searching for a Prairie Oyster recipe. Sounds like my kind of thing.

Top Bottom