One sided rivalries don't bode well for Minnesota

began11

GOPHER11
Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of research on various websites and blogs and the consensus is that nobody wants Minnesota in their division. Iowegian and Wiscy fans are sick of beating the crap out of us and want to be affiliated with more high profile teams such as Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State. I hate seeing the pigs from the south and the wiscys from the east to have that dominance over us, but we put ourselves into this position. I am a season ticket holder in about every sport and I have to say that I am sick of losing every year to our biggest rivals. I would love to go to a Jan 1st bowl every year and compete for a big ten championship. However, I am realistic and I think most Gopher fans just want to beat our biggest rivals, Pigs and Wiscys. Our school is bigger! Our city is bigger! Our women are hotter! Our stadium is nicer! Why can't we have a football team that consistently competes against our biggest rivals? I have a bad feeling Minnesota is going to be on the outside looking in when it comes time to having yearly cross division rivals. Teams like Iowa and Wisconsin don't really call it a rivalry anymore, considering they beat us every year. I hate being negative but with Brewster and Maturi around, we are going to be competing with Northwestern, Illinois, and Indiana as the worst teams in the Big 10/12. Now I give all of you permission to rip me because I love the Gophers but I am being negative and am sick of losing every year to our neighbors from the south and east. Go Gophers!!!

I have been doing a lot of research on various websites and blogs and the consensus is that nobody wants Minnesota in their division. Iowegian and Wiscy fans are sick of beating the crap out of us and want to be affiliated with more high profile teams such as Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State. I hate seeing the pigs from the south and the wiscys from the east to have that dominance over us, but we put ourselves into this position. I am a season ticket holder in about every sport and I have to say that I am sick of losing every year to our biggest rivals. I would love to go to a Jan 1st bowl every year and compete for a big ten championship. However, I am realistic and I think most Gopher fans just want to beat our biggest rivals, Pigs and Wiscys. Our school is bigger! Our city is bigger! Our women are hotter! Our stadium is nicer! Why can't we have a football team that consistently competes against our biggest rivals? I have a bad feeling Minnesota is going to be on the outside looking in when it comes time to having yearly cross division rivals. Teams like Iowa and Wisconsin don't really call it a rivalry anymore, considering they beat us every year. I hate being negative but with Brewster and Maturi around, we are going to be competing with Northwestern, Illinois, and Indiana as the worst teams in the Big 10/12. Now I give all of you permission to rip me because I love the Gophers but I am being negative and am sick of losing every year to our neighbors from the south and east. Go Gophers!!!

they must have short term memories, what are the overall series records? their programs have only been above decent for a decade or so. to list wisconsin and iowa with nebraska, penn state, ohio state and michigan is laughable. they are a lot closer to us, indiana, and illinois than they are to those other programs.

Fair trolling, but every team forum seems to be in favor of an east-west split preserving traditional rivalries. The only forum I've seen where this didn't seem to be the clear favorite was Indiana Hoosiers board, whose members were more interested in Nebraska's basketball implications (none).

they must have short term memories, what are the overall series records? their programs have only been above decent for a decade or so. to list wisconsin and iowa with nebraska, penn state, ohio state and michigan is laughable. they are a lot closer to us, indiana, and illinois than they are to those other programs.

You live in the past my friend, while they live in the now and for the future and that is what holds us down.

don't let the fact that Minnesota is 11-29 over the last 20 years against Iowa and Wisconsin get in the way of your argument.

Those who think Wisconsin and Iowa are 'above' playing Minnesota are those who choose to ignore history. Those who ignore history are not academic thinkers, and those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. The Gophers will rise again.

try to broaden your sights beyond football when you analyze the strength of your argument....

try to broaden your sights beyond football when you analyze the strength of your argument....

Exactly. I wonder if these division splits would pertain only to football like the Big 12 had or to the entire conference sports schedule like the SEC. In a case such as the SEC, I doubt any of those same fans would have the same argument in regards to basketball for instance, where the Gophers are a combined 6-0 against Iowa and Wisconsin the last two years. It would all depend upon how the conference wants to split it up for the other sports as well.

In a perfect world each team in a rivalry would win exactly every other year for eternity. In the real world one side tends to win most of the games for a while and then the pendulum swings the other way. The fact that the the all time record of the MN/WI game is close to 50/50 after 100 years is the very definition of a rivalry IMHO.

Teams like Iowa and Wisconsin don't really call it a rivalry anymore, considering they beat us every year.

You have officially been conned. One way to talk smack against a rival is to deny that the rivalry exists. The Iowa/MN and Wisconsin/MN games are huge rivalry games. But if you go hat-in-hand to our rivals boards, they are going to play you.

I really could care less what anyone is saying at Iowa and Wisconsin. Minnesota is 1 year into being on equal footing with the rest of the Big Ten in having their own on campus stadium. Let's build from that, one game at a time, regardless if its Wisconsin or South Dakota. I'm in this for the next 50 years, not the next 5.
If Wisconsin wants to challenge itself against better opponents than they better start fielding a little better non-conference schedule.

Going to your rivals' message board to get validation about your own team is like going to Eva Braun for dating advice.

Wisconsin

....If Wisconsin wants to challenge itself against better opponents than they better start fielding a little better non-conference schedule.

What do you mean?! Last year, Wofford was a SOLID 3-8 team in D-2 Southern Conference. This year the Badgers play Austin Peay. Truly a big name team.

Brett Bielema sure knows how to schedule them. The Badgers should be ashamed of themselves.

Bottom Line: Minnesota is leading Wisconsin in all-time head to head wins. argument dead

I've been doing a lot of research and have found that teams that don't want patsies in their division are stupid. If we're truly so horrible that nobody cares about us, they'd all want us in their division. It's easier to win your division with an easy "W".

good thing they have ZERO role in determining divisions....

As for "...I have a bad feeling Minnesota is going to be on the outside looking in when it comes time to having yearly cross division rivals...", the yahoos hanging-out on msg boards and writing blogs will play zero role is determining the divisions and scheduling. Since OSU has won 8 of the last 9 against Mich, is that no longer a rivalry?

I was on some boards, and there was a Buckeye fan living in Illinois who called people in Illinois "clueless" about college football, because they thought that the Illinois-Northwestern game was a big deal.

Which only shows that this particular Buckeye fan is the clueless one. Illinois-Northwestern really is a big deal, in Illinois. He thinks that if they "knew better", they would instead follow Ohio State. I suppose it would blow his mind that there are people who care about the Bemidji State/Moorhead State game.

I was on some boards, and there was a Buckeye fan living in Illinois who called people in Illinois "clueless" about college football, because they thought that the Illinois-Northwestern game was a big deal.

Which only shows that this particular Buckeye fan is the clueless one. Illinois-Northwestern really is a big deal, in Illinois. He thinks that if they "knew better", they would instead follow Ohio State. I suppose it would blow his mind that there are people who care about the Bemidji State/Moorhead State game.

Arrogance and ignorance is a most dangerous combination.

I agree with the arguments about OSU/Michigan rivalry and the fact that us yahoos on blogs and websites won't dictate how these two divisions will line up. However, watch the big ten network and espn and they will lay it out the same way.....Minnesota at the bottom. I know the day is coming when I can go watch the Gophers pound the likes of the Sconnies and Pigs. I just hope it comes sooner rather than later.

You have officially been conned. One way to talk smack against a rival is to deny that the rivalry exists. The Iowa/MN and Wisconsin/MN games are huge rivalry games. But if you go hat-in-hand to our rivals boards, they are going to play you.

+1

While I don't doubt Wisconsin fans want Nebraska, I don't think the majority of them would trade Minnesota for them.

There may also be some lingering anger at the fact that Minnesota dropped Wisconsin as the end of season game in favor of Iowa. As in, "they don't consider us thier biggest rival, fine, we'll finish the season with Nebraska".

There may also be some lingering anger at the fact that Minnesota dropped Wisconsin as the end of season game in favor of Iowa. As in, "they don't consider us thier biggest rival, fine, we'll finish the season with Nebraska".

Possible. Some people say that since Michigan was the one school that voted "no" on the Golden Homers sometime around 1910 is the reason that nd still thinks they are too good to join the B10.

+1

While I don't doubt Wisconsin fans want Nebraska, I don't think the majority of them would trade Minnesota for them.

I understand what you're saying, but never have understood why this feeling lingers. I don't think of Iowa as any bigger of a rival just because we play them at the end of the season.

Texas plays Oklahoma in the middle of the season...Michigan plays Michigan State in the middle of the season. Miami & Florida State go the beginning of the year. Florida & Georgia meet in the cocktail in Oct./Nov.

As for "...I have a bad feeling Minnesota is going to be on the outside looking in when it comes time to having yearly cross division rivals...", the yahoos hanging-out on msg boards and writing blogs will play zero role is determining the divisions and scheduling. Since OSU has won 8 of the last 9 against Mich, is that no longer a rivalry?

Exactly. From 1990-99, Michigan was 7-2-1 against the Buckeyes. Look at them now. Even though it may not seem like it, college football is cyclical.

You better hope your mother doesn't read this post of yours because she's probably going to be pissed that you're not spending that "research" time working on your Algebra homework.

Anyway.....
The highly biased, and insecure OP that is the basis of this thread can very easily be proven wrong with this link:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/specials/fansurvey/2009/big10.html

Minnesota is, apparently, the third most-circled opponent on schedules across the Big Ten- behind only OSU and Michigan.

Interesting...under the category of "Which school as [sic] the rudest fans for visitors?" Only Minnesota and Michigan State did not pick tOSU.

Interesting...under the category of "Which school as [sic] the rudest fans for visitors?" Only Minnesota and Michigan State did not pick tOSU.

MSU picked Michigan and Minnesota picked Wisconsin. Next time a thread comes up on this board about how rude UW fans are, remember this.

Now, if there was a question about which school's fans most often try to steal women's sweaters and end up with chair legs in their eye sockets, we all know UW would win in a landslide.

HEY OGEE

You better hope your mother doesn't read this post of yours because she's probably going to be pissed that you're not spending that "research" time working on your Algebra homework.

Nice comment, coming from somone who has over 1,800 threads on a college sports blog in only two years. Talk about "research" time. You are a poser who has probably never been to an actual Gopher sporting event in your life. I try and come on these threads and stir up some converstation about our hated rivals and then have to deal with getting ripped for saying that I did ten minutes of research about the future of the Big Ten and my beloved Gophers. Hey Ogee, have a great weekend playing "World of Warcraft" and checking your E Harmony account!

Nice comment, coming from somone who has over 1,800 threads on a college sports blog in only two years.

Wow, are you clueless.

Ogee's been posting here since you were in diapers, son.

P.S. Don't say "Now I give all of you permission to rip me" and then lash out like an infant when someone takes you up on the offer. K thanks.

Wow, are you clueless.

Ogee's been posting here since you were in diapers, son.

P.S. Don't say "Now I give all of you permission to rip me" and then lash out like an infant when someone takes you up on the offer. K thanks.

My guess is that he saw the November 2008 member date, and didn't notice that nearly everyone had that same member date, which was the date that this site switched to new software.

When you grant permission to rip, don't be surprised when someone does rip. Surprisingly, "granting permission to rip" is not identical to "don't rip on me".

Top Bottom