One of the Overlooked Benefits of Last Night's Win

gopher god used to be so smug about Nebraska but now that they’ve lost 5 straight and 8 of 11 he’s rarely posting. typical.

The social media Nebraska consensus is they got screwed by the refs. Again.

Gophers got away with a false start. Nebraska got away with a huge game-altering non-pass interference call.

That play review at the goal when Nebraska scored and was nullified, I think the ref confused everyone by saying nonsense with the mic turned on. You can't review the play before the play, that was nonsense to be ignored. The replay clearly showed Nebraska to false start at that goal score. The review was for that. Nebraska was not screwed.

The social media Nebraska consensus is they got screwed by the refs. Again.
So you're saying if the Gophers scored a touchdown just before the half last night and it wasn't called a touchdown, this board wouldn't be saying the same thing?

We won. Very little to be excited about other than the fact that Nebraska opened the door and we took advantage of it.

If the TD had been called a TD, we'd be much more focused on the deficiencies across the board last night.

Maybe Nebraska's really, really good. We'll know more in 3 weeks.

Another added benefit, is that NE looks competitive. We beat them and they still play IA and WI. I think they could easily beat one of them, if not both. Obviously we need to win our games, but I like being 1-0 against NE.

Gophers got away with a false start. Nebraska got away with a huge game-altering non-pass interference call.

That play review at the goal when Nebraska scored and was nullified, I think the ref confused everyone by saying nonsense with the mic turned on. You can't review the play before the play, that was nonsense to be ignored. The replay clearly showed Nebraska to false start at that goal score. The review was for that. Nebraska was not screwed.
You can't review a false start. The review was whether or not the runner broke the plane, and it looked like he did.

gopher god used to be so smug about Nebraska but now that they’ve lost 5 straight and 8 of 11 he’s rarely posting. typical.
He was poking around in the off-season talking about how much better Nebraska’s resources and fan base are. How PJ can’t coach (despite winning 5 in a row against his sorry program). Guy adds nothing to this board.

Reactions: Go4

No, as noted above, the review was whether the RB scored on the previous play. They can't review a false start, and they weren't.

They explained THAT, too. Since there was a false start--a presnap penalty--the next play (QB sneak) never officially happened. So they were reviewing the most recent play.
I don’t get the “didn’t happen”.

Can’t have a penalty for both happening ;)

We won. Very little to be excited about other than the fact that Nebraska opened the door and we took advantage of it.
You mean other than:
A money kicker?
An actual pass rush that sacked a mobile QB several times?
Great playmakers in the secondary in Nubin and Walley?
A WR who pulled off a memorable TD reception?
The fact we won without our best WR and LB?
Beating Nebraska for the 5th straight season?

Yeah, not much to get excited about.

I don’t get the “didn’t happen”.

Can’t have a penalty for both happening ;)
It creates a situation where a team can get a reward for a penalty. I think that part was odd. The team intends to snap the ball, they attempted, but, they were incompetent - so, let’s give them something.

Sure Seems like the intent of the rule has been met by the snap attempt.

It creates a situation where a team can get a reward for a penalty. I think that part was odd. The team intends to snap the ball, they attempted, but, they were incompetent - so, let’s give them something.

Sure Seems like the intent of the rule has been met by the snap attempt.
Agreed! Most sports rules don’t reward a team for making a mistake.

You mean other than:
A money kicker?
An actual pass rush that sacked a mobile QB several times?
Great playmakers in the secondary in Nubin and Walley?
A WR who pulled off a memorable TD reception?
The fact we won without our best WR and LB?
Beating Nebraska for the 5th straight season?

Yeah, not much to get excited about.
This happens every year after the first few games. Some fans twist themselves into knots finding things to worry about or reasons to downplay the victory as they search for doom and gloom lurking around every corner ready to derail the season.

There was good and bad in the game yesterday but until we see the team in action a couple of times really don't know what to expect the team over the remainder of 2023.

For example, the run game struggled against Nebraska, there is no getting around that. But what we don't know yet is if that is going to be the case all season or if it was more a function of the Nebraska defense or the O-Line needing time to gel or some other factor.

And just to be clear this comment isn't directed at the discussions about the positive and negative things that happened during the game. That is what message boards are for. This is specifically targeted at the fans that are determined to dwell on the negative to the point where you can tell they didn't really even enjoy the win because they are so concerned about the things that didn't go well en route to the victory.

I'll throw out a benefit of the clock management change is that we don't have the 2-3-4 looks to the sideline checkdown any more. It's still happening but within the actual count. That was interesting to see happening in person.

I'll throw out a benefit of the clock management change is that we don't have the 2-3-4 looks to the sideline checkdown any more. It's still happening but within the actual count. That was interesting to see happening in person.
The farther removed we get from it the more we can all be certain that the frantic check down, bleed the clock to the last second while running around like a chicken with its head cut off checking with the sideline over and over mess was Sanford. Thank goodness those days are behind us.

Sideline check offense is fine but what we were doing under Sanford was a friggin joke and so frustrating to watch.

The farther removed we get from it the more we can all be certain that the frantic check down, bleed the clock to the last second while running around like a chicken with its head cut off checking with the sideline over and over mess was Sanford. Thank goodness those days are behind us.

Sideline check offense is fine but what we were doing under Sanford was a friggin joke and so frustrating to watch.
I'm pretty positive that was Ciarocca too

Yes...as a novice in Football..noticed that...last few years...the whole team would look to the side line quite a few times!!

The Gophers shackled the ghost in the end with poise. Nebraska is still haunted by the ghost of Bo Pellini's cat.

This happens every year after the first few games. Some fans twist themselves into knots finding things to worry about or reasons to downplay the victory as they search for doom and gloom lurking around every corner ready to derail the season.

There was good and bad in the game yesterday but until we see the team in action a couple of times really don't know what to expect the team over the remainder of 2023.

For example, the run game struggled against Nebraska, there is no getting around that. But what we don't know yet is if that is going to be the case all season or if it was more a function of the Nebraska defense or the O-Line needing time to gel or some other factor.

And just to be clear this comment isn't directed at the discussions about the positive and negative things that happened during the game. That is what message boards are for. This is specifically targeted at the fans that are determined to dwell on the negative to the point where you can tell they didn't really even enjoy the win because they are so concerned about the things that didn't go well en route to the victory.
What counts is a win by any means. The Gopher Defense kept us in the game. AK and DJ made a play at clutch time. DK was a stone cold Cornhusker slayer with the winning field goal with no time left. That was the equivalent of a come-from-behind knockout victory!

That was quite a battle that brought instant elation or deflation to the fans.

I like this season’s theme: POISE.

Maybe Matt Rhule can make something out of all those 4-Star talent they have accumulated over several seasons. They’re going to be a formidable opponent.

If PJ Fleck can consistently get three or four legitimate 4-Stars in each recruiting class, imagine having several 2019 caliber seasons.

The Gophers produced several NFL talent as a sound developmental program. PJ Fleck brought program stability and respectability.

They are selective about cultural fit. It’s time to get to the next level in recruiting.

The run game struggled because of the defense Nebraska ran, because Nebraska has some dudes on that defense (whether we want to admit that or not), and because it was the first game of the season and having some new OL guys having to prepared for a very difficult to prepare for defensive scheme.

That is just the poop on that one. That was going to be like that. Was always going to be a very tough game to get a lot of yards on the ground against that defense.

So why doesn't everyone run that defense then??? Because there is no such thing as a perfect defense. If you pump up one thing, you lose something else. Defense is the art of trying to plug three holes with two fingers. As a DC, you plant your stake in the ground on what your identity is going to be and what you are going to refuse to give ground on, while then figuring out how you're going to make up for that in the other parts.

Having this game on national TV on a Thursday night is great for recruiting. I don't like starting the season with a conference game but it worked out this time.

Agreed! Most sports rules don’t reward a team for making a mistake.
Hockey: the team bearing the penalty is allowed to ice the puck. It is as though the NHL and NCAA don’t read my annual preseason emails. Tho you did say most-

Hockey: the team bearing the penalty is allowed to ice the puck. It is as though the NHL and NCAA don’t read my annual preseason emails. Tho you did say most-
Not really a reward, it just makes sure the power play isn't too powerful

Top Bottom