One of the Brewster homers

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Come on here and defend this. I need to laugh.

Well, I am sure some of you would call me a Brewster homer.

There is no way to defend it, he is done.

There is no defending this loss, it's not acceptable.

Well. I've been part of the "give him a chance" crowd.

But it's clear to me now. I'm not going to be one of those mouth foaming malcontents, but this needs to stop. This is madness.

Is it worth our while to remove him two games into the season though?

Well. I've been part of the "give him a chance" crowd.

But it's clear to me now. I'm not going to be one of those mouth foaming malcontents, but this needs to stop. This is madness.

Is it worth our while to remove him two games into the season though?

yes. it is only going to get worse. maybe the bleeding can be stopped with a good coach. I guess the question is - who replaces brewster?

I said he needs one more year but he is done. There is now way that losing to two Dakota schools in the last few years can even be considered acceptable. I don't care if we are rebuilding or w/e, we still should have way more talent then them. It all comes down to coaching...bye Timmy.

Not yet....

I'm willing to give him to midway through the Big Ten sched...but it will be time for a change unless he can pull upsets against some big time schools this year.

I agree with johnnybb...there is no point to canning him this early in the year.

The best part about the stadium and better revenue...is we should be able to hire a top notch coach (at least I hope so). Please not Ron Zook part 2.

I was convinced he should be given 5 years...no matter what. Not with that performance today. I'm still looking forward to my trip for homecoming...as Gopher football is about so much more than the game...the game day experience is awesome.

Sorry my Dad had to see tht game today. He isn't getting any younger.

GM

You guys made me have to register to defend this nonsense.

Please have some faith in Brewster. Every coach needs at least 5 seasons to be able to graduate his own recruits, have a system in place, and develop talent. Brewster is just starting out Year 4, and you want to deny the improvements hes made in the last 2 seasons. Hes brought in good talent these past few years, and at least we see more recruits listing us among their final choices than previous years. Its just 1 game. Hopefully this will light a fire under these guys' butts and they play hard for the rest of this season.

Lulz. Lost to mid-tier FCS team in year 4. BUT DON'T WORRY, YEAR 5 IS WHERE IT'S AT!!1!1

Please have some faith in Brewster. Every coach needs at least 5 seasons to be able to graduate his own recruits, have a system in place, and develop talent. Brewster is just starting out Year 4, and you want to deny the improvements hes made in the last 2 seasons. Hes brought in good talent these past few years, and at least we see more recruits listing us among their final choices than previous years. Its just 1 game. Hopefully this will light a fire under these guys' butts and they play hard for the rest of this season.

So year 4 losing to a middle of the road FCS School is acceptable? After how much better off the program is right now correct? Maturi & Brewster are the worst things to ever happen to Minnesota Football...

Bad loss. Worse yet, a horrible loss. I am one who feels any new coach needs at least 4 to 5 years to make adequate progress. We need to let this season play out and see where we are on Nov 27, good, bad or so-so.

Bad loss. Worse yet, a horrible loss. I am one who feels any new coach needs at least 4 to 5 years to make adequate progress. We need to let this season play out and see where we are on Nov 27, good, bad or so-so.
Progress implies a progression, which means that we should see markers along the way that indicate progress is being made. It's not as if we should ignore all results up until we reach that 5 year point. The team's not going to be awful for 4 years and change then suddenly become a competitor when that odometer rolls over.

I can handle losing to USC. But losing to So Dak is where I draw the line. It is time for Brewster to go and I had been an ardent Brewster supporter up until now. There is absolutely no excuse for losing this game. None!!

Schnoodler and Ahlibobwa please come and tell us again how we must be blind if we cannot see what Brewster is building here.:)

You are an idiot.

Progress implies a progression, which means that we should see markers along the way that indicate progress is being made. It's not as if we should ignore all results up until we reach that 5 year point. The team's not going to be awful for 4 years and change then suddenly become a competitor when that odometer rolls over.

Good point Khaliq. The markers do not indicate to me that there is improvement. there is no indication that we will win one trophy game or even one more game for that matter.

It's all part of an elaborate trap to sucker in USC and make them overconfident. After that upset we storm our way to a Big Ten title.

So year 4 losing to a middle of the road FCS School is acceptable? After how much better off the program is right now correct? Maturi & Brewster are the worst things to ever happen to Minnesota Football...

A 5th year isn't always guaranteed. The best way to gauge this team and the Brewster era will be what happens after this embarrassing loss.

I was a Brewster guy.

I said give him 5 years, he has recruited well, he has made us bigger, faster, and the talent will show. The problem is he hasn't improved the talent he has recruited. This team lost to a bad USD team that has a first year starter at QB. USD is not on the level that SDSU was last season when we barely got a win. More talent great use it then.

Yes firing him now will benefit this team long term. Do it now and take the loss of players who decide to leave but atleast you know who is going to be here and who is not. If you wait we will lose numbers for sure but we will also lose another recruiting class. Fire him now and maybe a replacement will be hired soon after the season or before bowl season so they can recruit right away. When we hired Brewster we waited to long and it was a waste of a recruiting year. I think some losses are bigger than others and these are those tye of games. You can lose to good teams, you can get upset, you can not allow a program to lose to a ordinary D-IAA team that is just making the jump and is rebuilding in some ways themselves.

This loss is completely inexcusable. It is an undeniable embarrassment to the University of Minnesota and the Big Ten. It's what happens when you bring in an NFL guy wih no head coaching or coordinator experience. It took him three years to find an OC and figurenout what kind of offense he wants. Looks like it'll be four years to find a defense guy.

The defense is young blah, blah, blah, blah! We really do have some gifted athletes on D but they were out of position and had not a clue about where they should be or what they should do. The very definition of poor coaching! This wasn't Southern Cal or even South Carolina this was South Fricking Dakota. That's a Junior College team, relative to the Big Ten.

Brewster can't be fired mid-term it would set us back too far in recruiting. This is a very young defense and a miracle could happen, but I wouldn't expect it. Maruri needs to identify the best young coach at a lower rated conference and have him signed a week after this season is over.

I like Brewster a lot. In many ways he's just what Da U needed. A positive guy and a personable one who was willing and able to pay attention to the local details. The problem is he didn't have a coaching philosophy he believed in that he could bring in with him. He wasn't committed to an offensive system or a defensive one and we've now wasted three years.

im kind of sad that we won last week, otherwise we could all wear bags ala saints fans that say 'Ophers

This loss is completely inexcusable. It is an undeniable embarrassment to the University of Minnesota and the Big Ten. It's what happens when you bring in an NFL guy wih no head coaching or coordinator experience. It took him three years to find an OC and figurenout what kind of offense he wants. Looks like it'll be four years to find a defense guy.
As the season goes on and our offense gets more and more challenged by actual talented teams, you have to wonder whether Timmeh will be having THIRD thoughts about what kind of offense he wants to run. The triple option perhaps? God help us.

There is no way they fire him two games into the season so you guys can let go of that right now. After this performance and the past few years though it will take a herculean effort to save his job by the end of the season.

There is no way they fire him two games into the season so you guys can let go of that right now. After this performance and the past few years though it will take a herculean effort to save his job by the end of the season.

+1

I was against the hire in 2007, but resigned to giving him 5 years. It is now obvious to me that the coaching is too poor with this team to go on regardless of the on-field talent that may be waiting in the wings.

So, yes, I think firing Brewster is the right move to make, I just don't see the positive of doing it any time prior to the end of November.

In my opinion, the decision to fire Mason was made about 5 minutes after the NDSU 10-9 "victory" it just had to wait for the season to play out.

As the White Sox announcer says: HE GONE!!!!!!!

So much wrong, so little time. I'm left with so many thoughts and questions?

1) Fourth and 2 and we don't go with Hoese. Instead, we pitch the ball four yards in the wrong direction and end with a 3 yard loss. What the hell was Horton thinking?
2) Ellestad's try for a 48 yard field goal. Who the hell thought he could make that after his god awful performance last week?
3) Eure - How do you miss that pass for TD?
4) Why are Hageman and KGM on the sideline, when we clearly aren't getting pressure from the DEs? Garin lost containment more times than I can count. Do we really have that little confidence in Hageman and KGM? Sure would like to see them play more than 2 plays each.
5) Why is the defense (including coordinators) confused by an offense that ran four plays all day? You were going to see a quick slant, a screen, a bomb down the middle or a QB-keep. That is it. Why were we unable to adjust? Why did we continue to use a small line-up on DL when a taller group could have been more effective in knocking down the quick passes?
6) How many times do you need to see the screen before you stay home and resist over-pursuit?
7) I applaud Weber's effort, but I can't figure out why - after fumbling once already - he was running the ball and getting tackled with only one hand securing the ball. Huh?
8) Gray and McKnight have to maintain concentration when it counts. Why so many mental errors?
9) On a day when Jon Hoese probably would have run through a wall, why wasn't he a bigger part of the game plan. WTF?
10) The Gophers got out-played and out-coached. How can I make my trip to the Twin Cities worthwhile next weekend? I doubt I will make it through the game.

Damn!

Top Bottom