One less Leston to kick around

gophmeister

Reaction score
Leston Simpson has transferred to Stoneybrook. Good luck to him.

Good luck to him.

He will be a SR next year so his scholarship will go to a walk on for all of next year and then likely it'll be open up again for next class.

Don't you think his scholarship will go to one of the new guys who might have to gray shirt? Either way, this quickly being a team full of Kill recruits.

this quickly being a team full of Kill recruits.

Yup. I mentioned this a couple months back, but it's pretty amazing that he's only been here ~14 months, and already ~41 of the players on the roster (16 last year and~25 this year depending on how the grayshirts shake out) are Kill recruits. He's turned over basically half the roster in a little more than a calendar year.

Best of luck to Lester at Stoneybrook.

Don't you think his scholarship will go to one of the new guys who might have to gray shirt? Either way, this quickly being a team full of Kill recruits.

I'd guess it would not.

My reasoning is this:

Leston was going to be a SR. His leaving early does not really open up a scholarship for next year's class. It opens up one for this season. Additionally, if you give his scholarship to one of the grayshirt kids, it will actually take a scholarship away from next year's class (because he was going to be a graduating SR). I think they will wait a year with this guys and see if a scholarship opens up that isn't from a graduating SR.

Lastly, I think they like the idea of those guys just lifting for an additional semester and getting bigger and then coming in in December.

I could certainly be wrong, it was just a hunch.

That makes sense, Bob. I guess I had no idea how complicated it is managing your recruiting to keep an even balance among the classes. Apparently Brew didn't either. He could go out and sweet-talk the recruits, but managing the overall recruiting picture has a lot more to it than he understood.

Good luck to Mr. Simpson. There's no shame in ending up at Stony Brook...unless you're Marcus Coker.

I'd guess it would not.
...if you give his scholarship to one of the grayshirt kids, it will actually take a scholarship away from next year's class (because he was going to be a graduating SR). I think they will wait a year with this guys and see if a scholarship opens up that isn't from a graduating SR.

Light bulb comes on. I see your point.

I'd guess it would not.

My reasoning is this:

Leston was going to be a SR. His leaving early does not really open up a scholarship for next year's class. It opens up one for this season. Additionally, if you give his scholarship to one of the grayshirt kids, it will actually take a scholarship away from next year's class (because he was going to be a graduating SR). I think they will wait a year with this guys and see if a scholarship opens up that isn't from a graduating SR.

Lastly, I think they like the idea of those guys just lifting for an additional semester and getting bigger and then coming in in December.

I agree. Unless we can track down a linebacker, the schollie season seems closed.

Good luck to Mr. Simpson!

I'll be completely honest.. I had no clue of this guy.. Any details on his recruiting?

Good luck to Mr. Simpson!

I'll be completely honest.. I had no clue of this guy.. Any details on his recruiting?

He was a late signee in the 2010 class out of Lackawanna CC in Pennsylvania, the same JuCo that Jeff Wills attended a year earlier. The staff also signed Eure from the same school in 2010, as well as attempting to sign both Tillman and Thornton, who were deemed ineligible because of prior credits. Simpson had 3 playing years left, and I'm guessing the staff was hoping he'd take one of the DE spots. He never did, and that's part of the reason why we had to rely on an undersized Matt Garin all year. I don't recall seeing Simpson play much either of the past 2 seasons outside of very occasional spot duty.

I'd guess it would not.

My reasoning is this:

Your last point is a valid reason why Leston's scholarship would not go a greyshirt like Ben Lauer.

That said, a greyshirt like Ben Lauer would normally be an initial counter for the 13-14 season. Give him Leston's scholarship and he must become an initial counter for the 12-13 season. That would actually open up an initial scholarship for 13-14 season.

15.5.6.3.2 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering after Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A
student-athlete recruited by the awarding institution who enters after the first term of the academic year and
immediately receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) shall be an initial
counter for either the current academic year (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or the
next academic year. The student-athlete shall be included in the institution’s total counter limit during the
academic year in which the aid was first received.

Regards.

Is it confirmed that Lauer and Anyanwu are grayshirting?

Your last point is a valid reason why Leston's scholarship would not go a greyshirt like Ben Lauer.

That said, a greyshirt like Ben Lauer would normally be an initial counter for the 13-14 season. Give him Leston's scholarship and he must become an initial counter for the 12-13 season. That would actually open up an initial scholarship for 13-14 season.

15.5.6.3.2 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering after Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A
student-athlete recruited by the awarding institution who enters after the first term of the academic year and
immediately receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) shall be an initial
counter for either the current academic year (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or the
next academic year. The student-athlete shall be included in the institution’s total counter limit during the
academic year in which the aid was first received.

Regards.

I could certainly be wrong, but my point was not really talking about which year you count the grayshirt. It doesn't really matter. My point is what would count against our grand total of 85.

So if Duke got a scholarship for this season, you're right, he would be part of this year's class. However, he would also subtract a scholarship offer (from the 85 total) that would have been available for next year.

Is it confirmed that Lauer and Anyanwu are grayshirting?

No, but they're willing too which is nice. I've been following recruiting somewhat closely for the past 20 years and I will say it's nice to finally see metro kids want to play for the gophers so much that they're willing to gray shirt or walk on when they could probably get a scholarship elsewhere. That was not always the case. The stadium is a big reason for it I would guess.

I could certainly be wrong, but my point was not really talking about which year you count the grayshirt. It doesn't really matter. My point is what would count against our grand total of 85.

So if Duke got a scholarship for this season, you're right, he would be part of this year's class. However, he would also subtract a scholarship offer (from the 85 total) that would have been available for next year.

Aren't the greyshirts already scheduled to receive aid in 13-14? If so then they already count or will count against the 85for that year even if they don't receive Leston's scholarship.

Yep, they would get scholarships for next season anyway.

However, my point was that you'd hold the grayshirts back. They'll scoop up that offer next year, they are essentially 2013 SR's in HS for our intents and purposes. But we get to give a scholarship to a walk on who deserves it this season and not shrink next year's class. If we grayshirt these guys and keep them in next year's class, it will grow next year's small class.

So if Duke and Lauer end up in the 2013 recruiting class, that class would be 15 kids (I believe). If Duke is moved up, that class would be 14 kids. My hunch is that we'd want to keep the classes spaced out and also reward a walk on for the year.

To add to Bob's point, I think they want Duke A and Lauer to grayshirt if possible. In fact as someone mentioned earlier for Duke, grayshirting and then redshirting may be the best thing, and the same is true for Lauer, expecially he missed most of his junior year to an ACL. These kids are young for their class and an extra six months growth at this stage before they start winter conditioninng is all a positive. Based on his weight gain this year Duke is growing like a weed, give them time.

Yep, they would get scholarships for next season anyway.

However, my point was that you'd hold the grayshirts back. They'll scoop up that offer next year, they are essentially 2013 SR's in HS for our intents and purposes. But we get to give a scholarship to a walk on who deserves it this season and not shrink next year's class. If we grayshirt these guys and keep them in next year's class, it will grow next year's small class.

So if Duke and Lauer end up in the 2013 recruiting class, that class would be 15 kids (I believe). If Duke is moved up, that class would be 14 kids. My hunch is that we'd want to keep the classes spaced out and also reward a walk on for the year.

I understand. We are making different points both equally valid. You are speaking to class size and I available scholarships. Whether Duke or Ben greyshirt or move-up will effect the class size (your point) but not the available scholarships (my point) for 2013. I don't disagree with your point.

That said, giving it to a walk-on for 2012 could reduce the available scholarships for 2013 if that walk-on keeps it for 2013 based on their performance in 2012.

Regards.

To add to Bob's point, I think they want Duke A and Lauer to grayshirt if possible. In fact as someone mentioned earlier for Duke, grayshirting and then redshirting may be the best thing, and the same is true for Lauer, expecially he missed most of his junior year to an ACL. These kids are young for their class and an extra six months growth at this stage before they start winter conditioninng is all a positive. Based on his weight gain this year Duke is growing like a weed, give them time.

I suspect we may have up to 3 greyshirts based on the current counters for 2012 and the fact that the team continued to look for new recruits just prior to Simpson's departure.

I suspect we may have up to 3 greyshirts based on the current counters for 2012 and the fact that the team continued to look for new recruits just prior to Simpson's departure.
I think they were looking for recruits just in case some of the commits didn't sign on National Signing Day.

He (Leston) was a late signee in the 2010 class out of Lackawanna CC in Pennsylvania, the same JuCo that Jeff Wills attended a year earlier. The staff also signed Eure from the same school in 2010, as well as attempting to sign both Tillman and Thornton, who were deemed ineligible because of prior credits...

After reading about the recent troubles of Eure (academically ineligible...nowhere to land...might go to the NFL draft early...will certainly not get drafted...) and recalling the embarassing situation involving Tillman and Thornton (both showed up in dinkytown, then were issued their uniforms, but before they could go to their first practice, they were sent home...never to return) and now Leston involved in a swap (for Kaler?), it makes one wonder what the 'Brew' was doing when he should have been recruiting.

Jerry Kill seems to be doing a better job of vetting on the recruiting trail.

After reading about the recent troubles of Eure (academically ineligible...nowhere to land...might go to the NFL draft early...will certainly not get drafted...) and recalling the embarassing situation involving Tillman and Thornton (both showed up in dinkytown, then were issued their uniforms, but before they could go to their first practice, they were sent home...never to return) and now Leston involved in a swap (for Kaler?), it makes one wonder what the 'Brew' was doing when he should have been recruiting.

Jerry Kill seems to be doing a better job of vetting on the recruiting trail.

But I don't think it's fair to throw Leston into that mix. I believe Leston Simpson was a qualifier out of HS (he had three years of eligibility) and he chose to leave the U because he was passed on the depth chart. I don't think his problem is academic related. As far as how Kill does, I sure hope that he has everything figured out with JuCos, but it's really impossible to tell this early. We'll see how these JuCo guys turn out.

Remember, under Kill we had:

Drayquan Crawford looked all but ready to play here, and then last minute (as last minute as Thornton), he couldn't get accepted.
Junior Osunde was ready to sign here before he was forced to go to Texas Tech because of issues with his probation.

It's the inherent risk with Junior College guys. Often, it isn't even that they are bad individuals, it's that it's a complicated process and there are always risks like this.

I think they were looking for recruits just in case some of the commits didn't sign on National Signing Day.

The team has already signed 27 new recruits and is or was looking for #28. But the B10 only allows 25 initial counters as it prohibits over-signing (unlike the SEC). So there must be 3 greyshirts among those 27 at present.

Regards.

The team has already signed 27 new recruits and is or was looking for #28. But the B10 only allows 25 initial counters as it prohibits over-signing (unlike the SEC). So there must be 3 greyshirts among those 27 at present.

Regards.
However, 3 players can be counted back to last year's class (so long as they come for spring term).

However, 3 players can be counted back to last year's class (so long as they come for spring term).

Thank you. I didn't realize that. Would you mind citing the NCAA bylaw and/or B10 reg that permits that?

Regards.

Thank you. I didn't realize that. Would you mind citing the NCAA bylaw and/or B10 reg that permits that?

Regards.

No offense, but you couldn't google it?

15.5.6.3.2 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering after Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete recruited by the awarding institution who enters after the first term of the academic year and immediately receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) shall be an initial counter for either the current academic year (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or the next academic year. The student-athlete shall be included in the institution’s total counter limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received.

No offense, but you couldn't google it?

15.5.6.3.2 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering after Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete recruited by the awarding institution who enters after the first term of the academic year and immediately receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) shall be an initial counter for either the current academic year (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or the next academic year. The student-athlete shall be included in the institution’s total counter limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received.

No offense taken. Zambam and I were talking about over-signing with regards to the 27 FALL commits for 2012. Given that, what does that bylaw have to do with counting 3 of those 27 back to the previous year (2011)?

Top Bottom