One good thing to come out of the game...

cncmin

Reaction score
...It appears that our QB finally outplayed an opposing QB. For the first time this season we can't blame the Gophers' woes on Adam Weber - he wasn't great but played a pretty good game. Did enough that the team should have had a lot more than 23 points, and played well enough to win. Seems the coaching staff handicapped him with terrible game-planning (**again, sigh**).

What really confuses me is why, when Weber is on a hot streak (which is rare), like at the end of the Iowa State bowl game last year, or in the 4th quarter today, WHY would Brewster then go and RUN. That 4-runs-in-a-row in the early 4th quarter was the gamebreaker. Weber was moving the ball, the game was close, and suddenly *whoomp* 'hey guys, since the passing game is finally working, how about we go back to the running it up the gut for a while and turn the ball over on downs at a critical point in the game'?

My god this coaching staff is absolutely clueless. I'll do the job for $150k. I guarantee I'd win as many games. If the school is going on the "cheap", while winning one lousy game, at least save real money and hire me. At least I'd give the team a *chance* to win. I'd also shape those players up. I swear the level of fundamental football play on that team is minimal.

Where's the barf bag when I need it?

I thought the half time show was well put together. Maybe we should let the people who organized that have a crack at game planning.

The silver lining to me is that the vocal crowd on this board who attacked posters who wanted Brewster fired, saying:

1.You gotta wait one more year for his talent to develop
2.Claim to "know so much more about football than the naysayers:
3.And predicted 6+ wins AFTER the USD game

have STFU.

FTR, Weber wasn't horrible. Compared to his other games he was Joe Montana. But...

A.From section 105 (best seats in the house for this play), on Weber's first TD it looked like he overthrew Gray and McKnight happened to be in the right place
B.He consistently missed hitting guys in stride. On that first drive that one long pass would have been a TD
C.An NIU player dropped a sure Pick6 INT that would have sealed the game
D.There's no way to defend that spastic shovel pass play. A four year starter shouldn't do stoopid stuff like that. Even Favre went Yucch! watching that play

...It appears that our QB finally outplayed an opposing QB. For the first time this season we can't blame the Gophers' woes on Adam Weber - he wasn't great but played a pretty good game.

Haven't you learned? It's ALWAYS Weber's fault on this board..

A.From section 105 (best seats in the house for this play), on Weber's first TD it looked like he overthrew Gray and McKnight happened to be in the right place
B.He consistently missed hitting guys in stride. On that first drive that one long pass would have been a TD
C.An NIU player dropped a sure Pick6 INT that would have sealed the game
D.There's no way to defend that spastic shovel pass play. A four year starter shouldn't do stoopid stuff like that. Even Favre went Yucch! watching that play

+1

105 represent.

IMHO I would not blame this one on Weber. I think the most fundamental problem with our offense is the lack of a big time running back. We do not have a back that can get to the edge with speed and pull away from the defense. Bennett runs hard but is not fast and so far thesame can be said for the rest of the backs. there were a few runs last night that with a different back with speed they would have gone a long way.

Haven't you learned? It's ALWAYS Weber's fault on this board..

It usually is, but not always. Weber played his best game at any time during the last two seasons and he still sucked. But it was't his fault last night. It was the sh*tty play calling by Horton (or whoever calls the plays) and the crummy defense (particularly the tackling).

...It appears that our QB finally outplayed an opposing QB. For the first time this season we can't blame the Gophers' woes on Adam Weber - he wasn't great but played a pretty good game. Did enough that the team should have had a lot more than 23 points, and played well enough to win. Seems the coaching staff handicapped him with terrible game-planning (**again, sigh**).

What really confuses me is why, when Weber is on a hot streak (which is rare), like at the end of the Iowa State bowl game last year, or in the 4th quarter today, WHY would Brewster then go and RUN. That 4-runs-in-a-row in the early 4th quarter was the gamebreaker. Weber was moving the ball, the game was close, and suddenly *whoomp* 'hey guys, since the passing game is finally working, how about we go back to the running it up the gut for a while and turn the ball over on downs at a critical point in the game'?

My god this coaching staff is absolutely clueless. I'll do the job for $150k. I guarantee I'd win as many games. If the school is going on the "cheap", while winning one lousy game, at least save real money and hire me. At least I'd give the team a *chance* to win. I'd also shape those players up. I swear the level of fundamental football play on that team is minimal.

Where's the barf bag when I need it?

Weber played a great game. He is having a good year. I think he should be calling the plays. I loved that last pass to Gray.

Let him compete. With Allen and Gray as recievers, Weber has people that will catch the ball. You could see it in his confidence all night. With Stoudermire it was 50% - 50% whether he would catch a pass that was right on the numbers, Allen catches anything within reach.

Weber stands out because he touches the ball on every play,maybe if we can platoon the quarterback position. Our first drive ends in a field goal. They walk down and score a touchdown, game over. We were outplayed, out coached, etc. We will get a new coach and new recruits and another 4-5 years of rebuilding, then a new coach, and another 4-5 years of rebuilding. Welcome to Gopher football!

Anyone else see Weber miss a wide open Lair on the third and 2 with 3 minutes left in the 3rd? Lair was behind everyone but Adam and his tunnel vision throws to the flats. We gain ten yards but miss out on 50 yards.

Webber missed Lair at twice badly. He also missed Bryant Allen badly. He also was bailed out on a TD he poorly overthrew and Gray managed to pull in. He also had a couple of nice throws, however, he is too inconsistent to be considered good. It doesn't matter though on this board. During a game Webber could down a fifth of Vodka, hit a U-police officer in the back of the head with a two-by-four, urinate on a goal post, and take a dump in the student section and would retain all of his support here. I really don't care any longer. This season has become more comical as it progresses. None the less, I'll be there next week tailgating and attend the game and hope Weber has success.

I tried the tamales for the first time, and they are dynamite. That's a pretty unique stadium choice, it was my highlight from last night.

Webber missed Lair at twice badly. He also missed Bryant Allen badly. He also was bailed out on a TD he poorly overthrew and Gray managed to pull in. He also had a couple of nice throws, however, he is too inconsistent to be considered good. It doesn't matter though on this board. During a game Webber could down a fifth of Vodka, hit a U-police officer in the back of the head with a two-by-four, urinate on a goal post, and take a dump in the student section and would retain all of his support here. I really don't care any longer. This season has become more comical as it progresses. None the less, I'll be there next week tailgating and attend the game and hope Weber has success.

I agree on your first two sentences. Glaring errors. But Weber apologists will find a way to paint over those errors with some type of excuse. Notice I opened this thread by saying that Weber played a good, not great game, but the more I think of it, wow he missed a lot of opportunities. Still, this game was worlds better than his previous 3. Of course, that's not saying much.

To me what makes the Lair miss on the play where they converted the first down unforgivable is that the play was a 2-receiver route. Once the play action is executed, you first look to see if the TE IS OPEN deep. If not, THEN you check it down to the back. He never even looked toward Lair's direction, despite streaking wide open behind the defense.

This offense lacks explosion - every scoring drive takes 18 plays to get in the end zone. You CAN'T MISS opporunities like that when you have them.

I get that a QB can throw a bad pass from time to time. But when your 5th year QB doesn't even go through the progressions on a TWO RECEIVER ROUTE and not under any sort of pressure from the D, that play to me was unforgivable.

Decisions

Weber has proven time and time again he cannot make good decisions. A quarterback's job is to win games. He fails.

Having a feel for the game, riding momentum, surgically dissecting or picking apart the opponent with trickery are not going to happen in Gopher football. But worse! Compounding or exaggerating the ill advised strategy to run four downs in a row...WE WERE DOWN TWO SCORES!!! We needed to score AND get the ball back AND score again! But no, run the ball four times in a row, walk up to the line of scrimmage, run the play clock down, survey the field and turn around and hand it off into the strength of the defense. Not once, not twice, not three times but four times in a row.

Weber sucks at making decisions but in all likelihood it is not his fault...he's had like eight different guys with eight different opinions telling him what to do. So, why should it be so hard for Brewster to see that? And to move onto to Gray. If Gray fails or performs at Weber's level, then re-insert Weber to inspire the troops to beat Iowa.

Once the play action is executed, you first look to see if the TE IS OPEN deep. If not, THEN you check it down to the back.

Not always true. Sometimes progression reads change by pre-snap reads. I'm not sure what the case was here, but as an always/never statement your assumption is incorrect.

Not always true. Sometimes progression reads change by pre-snap reads. I'm not sure what the case was here, but as an always/never statement your assumption is incorrect.

>implying weber knows how to QB

Top Bottom