Once again, yesterday, the Gophers played better when trap pressing...

cncmin

Reaction score
Once again, yesterday, the Gophers played better when trap pressing. Their defense was better, their intensity was better, their offense was better - all after they really started putting on the trap press. This happens time and time again. In some of the games earlier this year that the Gophers lost, I recall being frustrated that they didn't use the trap press (they consistently use a man on the dribbler, but that's about as worthless as a 3-dollar bill in terms of actually getting steals and etc.).

Being that the Gophers play so much better when pressing, and given the fact that the Gophers have a fairly deep, athletic, capable bench, do any of you know why Tubby doesn't use the trap press more often, particularly in close games in the 2nd half?

Once again, yesterday, the Gophers played better when trap pressing. Their defense was better, their intensity was better, their offense was better - all after they really started putting on the trap press. This happens time and time again. In some of the games earlier this year that the Gophers lost, I recall being frustrated that they didn't use the trap press (they consistently use a man on the dribbler, but that's about as worthless as a 3-dollar bill in terms of actually getting steals and etc.).

Being that the Gophers play so much better when pressing, and given the fact that the Gophers have a fairly deep, athletic, capable bench, do any of you know why Tubby doesn't use the trap press more often, particularly in close games in the 2nd half?

He has been this year except for the 76 Classic when fatigue was an obvious concern.

He has been this year except for the 76 Classic when fatigue was an obvious concern.

Well, for example, not in the first half yesterday. There were some fresh bodies out there if we had wanted to press - Bostick didn't even play all game.

As for the 76 Classic, since we lost the last 2 games there, then perhaps it was a big mistake not to press in the last 2 games?

I realize that pressing all game is not always ideal, especially when the other team successfully breaks it. However, the only time I saw the Gopher press be ineffective this year was against Iowa in a blowout game in the second half. I say play it until it fails; particulary with respect to the 2nd-line players, who seem like they often need a pick-me-up when they get in the game. The second line could come in, press like hell for 3-5 minutes, tire out the other team's starters, then upon the first sign of failure or fatigue, bring our starters back in with fresh legs to hammer the other team.

Well, I think it would be fun to try, anyway.

I truly believe in 40 minutes of 94 X 50 feet of pure unadulterated hell.

Plus it is fun to watch.

Agreed, going up and down seems to be our best formula for a W. Especially w/Nolen and Westbrook hassling the guys up front and having DJ come up and turn them when he sees it.

Well, for example, not in the first half yesterday. There were some fresh bodies out there if we had wanted to press - Bostick didn't even play all game.

As for the 76 Classic, since we lost the last 2 games there, then perhaps it was a big mistake not to press in the last 2 games?

I realize that pressing all game is not always ideal, especially when the other team successfully breaks it. However, the only time I saw the Gopher press be ineffective this year was against Iowa in a blowout game in the second half. I say play it until it fails; particulary with respect to the 2nd-line players, who seem like they often need a pick-me-up when they get in the game. The second line could come in, press like hell for 3-5 minutes, tire out the other team's starters, then upon the first sign of failure or fatigue, bring our starters back in with fresh legs to hammer the other team.

Well, I think it would be fun to try, anyway.

Did you want us to press off of missed shots?

The press defintley hides the Gophers poor half-court offense. Trapping gives the Gophers transition opporunities, including getting Blake H open for three bombs. I don't think the team does a good job of getting Hoff open in the half-court.

Top Bottom