On the verge to becoming BIG TIME and it will be GOLDEN

VanDEUSEN

Reaction score
My honest view and opinion is that YES the Gophers are ready to turn the corner. You look at any program that does it , many, and it just feels we are going in the right direction. Just be realistic and stay positive. It doesn't happen over night.

Coach Brewster's steps have been in the right direction and yes there is always fine tuning to do.
Patience can be a tuff virtue.

Congratulations to all the players and staff for 2009 and best of luck in 2010.

Go Gophers 2010

My honest view and opinion is that YES the Gophers are ready to turn the corner. You look at any program that does it , many, and it just feels we are going in the right direction. Just be realistic and stay positive. It doesn't happen over night.

Coach Brewster's steps have been in the right direction and yes there is always fine tuning to do.

Go Gophers 2010

+1

But, VanDUESON, what one needs to realize is that it is so much easier to be an anonymous, negative, complaining, and all is lost commentor on GH than to be forever optimistic and supportive. That way, the negative ones can say... "See I told you so."

Very good OP. Thanks.

Doc

Go Gophers!

Good to see some solid positivity here. So often it gets covered up in all the negativity from the 'Fire Brewster - Fire Maturi' reactionaries. Not sure if we're quite there yet, but I agree steps in the right direction overall are being made.

Go Gophers 2010

Another +1!!

Pessimism is usually self-destruction. Someone is exactly as good as they think they
are- nothing more, nothing less. Optimism is always the better course.

I've always sided that way. Brewster has had some rough spots, certainly, and there
have been difficult transitions that he has made. But I'd rather focus on the 2 bowl games in
3 years thing. If the corner does turn significantly for the better in 2010-11, than the two
bowl seasons he just had will be viewed as very positive stepping stones.

I liked Cal Stoll. He had 4 winning seasons in 7 years despite horrid support from the
school. Salem's support was even worse, and he had the rug placed beneath him.

When I think of Gutey, I think of a decent coach who got 4 winning seasons in 6 years
in the face of waning school support, and when I think of Mason, I think of a coach who
accomplished about as much as a coach can given the meager revenue stream the Dome
provided (10-3, 8-4, 8-5, etc).

The pieces are finally coming into place- the stadium, the support, the revenue stream.
Brewster will be the first in a LONG time to have had all 3.

interesting

normally, Van would be getting roasted. I like the post and the thread. the thing is Brew has been doing his thing and has not panicked in the media or on the field. It is possible he has the right plan. All this crap about fire and hire god is ridiculous. I just don't think you wheel in here and turn this program around in two or three years. I think Mason did a good job at getting us more than a couple of notches up from his predecessors. The jerks will always say that nothing has improved and the cheap bowls are getting old. Fact is that we have seen a Jan 1 bowl opportunity be lost on one third down play, an Alamo bowl committee screw us, a 10 win season. What could have happened if Decker was healthy last year and the year before? Would we have lost 5 in a row with him? Would we have won two more, possibly three more with him this year? How many games has Decker missed in the last two years? 8 or 9, practically a season.

Dr. Don,

I agree it is easier to hide behind the computer and let everyone else know what they are doing wrong, while you stay hidden. You have been positive because you remember the good old days of memorial stadium and Roses. I do not remember those days, I remember 31 point loses to Ohio State, and Michigan at HOME!! I like the attitude of Brewster saying, that this is their house and we need to protect it!! That means not SELLING tickets to the highest bidder, sell to Gopher fans. THe last game at the dome, against Iowa, I had 3 tickets, some drunken pig screwers offered me 75 bucks a ticket, I turned them down. I know I could have had the money, but they are Hogeye fans!!

Protect our house!!! I think Brew is going in the right direction!! Go Gophers!! Buck the fadgers, and I HATE iowa!

It is good to see some positive comments. Despite where this program is going or not going I had blast this past season being a first time season ticket holder, experiencing a new outdoor stadium on campus, the tailgating, victory walks etc. and being able to do it with my kids so they could experience it also.

The team made great improvement from 2007 to 2008. It is hard to say wheather the team made much progress from 2008 to 2009 becuase the 2009 schedule was soooo much more difficult. The wins against Air Force and Northwestern were much greater accomplishments than anyone thought at the time. The loss to Wisconsin wasn't nearly as bad as it seemed at the time. Once again there was the November-fade. Minnesota should have crushed Illinois and SDSU and beat Iowa State.

The schedule in 2010 is also very difficult. It will be very easy to tell if the Gophers take a step forward in 2010. Many of the team's problems are obvious.

The team made great improvement from 2007 to 2008. It is hard to say wheather the team made much progress from 2008 to 2009 becuase the 2009 schedule was soooo much more difficult. The wins against Air Force and Northwestern were much greater accomplishments than anyone thought at the time. The loss to Wisconsin wasn't nearly as bad as it seemed at the time. Once again there was the November-fade. Minnesota should have crushed Illinois and SDSU and beat Iowa State.

The schedule in 2010 is also very difficult. It will be very easy to tell if the Gophers take a step forward in 2010. Many of the team's problems are obvious.

I agree, 2010 is going to be very telling ,the pressure will be on Brew, more than any other season since he has been here, to get over the mediocrity hump. We can't continue to use difficult schedules as an excuse for going .500 or less for the season. You have to start showing you can go 7&5, 8&4 for the season. 6&6 next year is not showing, in my opinion, improvement.

Top Bottom