On the plus side, UNC fans are the nicest ever

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
Great atmosphere. Multiple people asked if we were having a good time, bought/gave us drinks, asked if we needed anything.

Great stadium, great environment. Great fans.

They had their concessions down to a tee and were extremely quick to get people through lines - we could learn from them.

Last edited:

I would agree, every conversation we had UNC fans were so welcoming and genuinely appreciative of our fans traveling so well. I only hope we treat them as well next season as they treated us this weekend.

Incredible campus, fun area on Franklin Ave, great weekend outside of the game itself.

Go Gophers!!

Only UNC fans that gave us any trouble were a couple of comments from some Frat boys post game, but that can be expected anywhere.

The rest of the fans were very courteous, and a few told us they were looking forward to making the trip to MN next year.

Sounds like the North Carolina fans get our respect. I love to hear that. I like some rivalry at games but it's best when it's respectful by home and visitor fans. I don't mind some harassing of me as long as in the end we know it's game fun.

Only UNC fans that gave us any trouble were a couple of comments from some Frat boys post game, but that can be expected anywhere.

The rest of the fans were very courteous, and a few told us they were looking forward to making the trip to MN next year.
Please tell me Drake Maye is entering the NFL draft this spring. 🙏

So glad you all felt welcomed. Sam Cassell famously dubbed our basketball crowd a wine and cheese crowd in the early 90s and the ABC crowd (anybody but carolina) extrapolated that to insinuate we are elitist. And that is not actually the case. So I am glad to hear differently. We have already booked our room at the Canopy hotel in Minneapolis next Labor Day and am looking forward to our visit. My understanding is there is a green line metro station close by that will take us straight to campus if y'all can confirm that. Good luck rest of the way. With all the realignment craziness after next year a future match-up may be a conference bout. Stranger things have happened!

So glad you all felt welcomed. Sam Cassell famously dubbed our basketball crowd a wine and cheese crowd in the early 90s and the ABC crowd (anybody but carolina) extrapolated that to insinuate we are elitist. And that is not actually the case. So I am glad to hear differently. We have already booked our room at the Canopy hotel in Minneapolis next Labor Day and am looking forward to our visit. My understanding is there is a green line metro station close by that will take us straight to campus if y'all can confirm that. Good luck rest of the way. With all the realignment craziness after next year a future match-up may be a conference bout. Stranger things have happened!
Not sure how early you are getting to town, but would be worth your time to plan a day at the state fair. Pretty uniquely Minnesotan experience.

Everyone said the same thing about Nebraska fans when they use to win all the time. When they started losing, the tune changed.

Not sure how early you are getting to town, but would be worth your time to plan a day at the state fair. Pretty uniquely Minnesotan experience.
Will be a Friday to Sunday trip. Of course Saturday depends on game time. Never been to Minnesota and looking forward to the trip!

Please tell me Drake Maye is entering the NFL draft this spring. 🙏
I can’t see any way he’d come back. He’ll be a high end first rounder and has a shot to go ahead of Williams (probably Williams, Maye then it gets a little more fuzzy with Sanders, Ewers, Nix, Leonard and a bunch of guys)

Went to the game with family that has lived in NC for quite awhile including a step grandson that was a UNC grad. Talked to a number of UNC fans and all were positive and appreciative of the traveling Gophers. I've been to a number of away games over the years and was very impressed with the number of Gopher fans in attendance! Living in the east for the last 35+ years the places I've been to don't include the close drives from MPLS so it is usually tougher for local fans to get to the PSU's, MSU's, IU's, OSU's. Been to all those and Illinois. This was the best experience of all of them, despite the loss.

Will be a Friday to Sunday trip. Of course Saturday depends on game time. Never been to Minnesota and looking forward to the trip!
Cant stress to you enough to consider at least one more full day here....Twins game, rent a boat on Lake Minnetonka, Minnesota State Fair, drive to Stillwater, and I could go on and on. Minnesota is about the best place in the country from May 15 through October 15.

According to Gopher Sports website we open with UNC 8/29

UNC’s Website and FBS Schedules have us opening up on Saturday, 8/31.

They’re going to need to get clarification from their Athletic Department on this.

I emailed our ticket office today and they told me the game date hasn't been finalized yet but would be the 29th or 31st. I really hope it is the 31st as I cannot come if it is that Thursday. Fingers crossed.

I emailed our ticket office today and they told me the game date hasn't been finalized yet but would be the 29th or 31st. I really hope it is the 31st as I cannot come if it is that Thursday. Fingers crossed.
I would say cross all your fingers and all your toes. The Thursday season home opener has been a thing for a while here.

When I saw the 8/31, I thought Great! Will be typical MN to have it pulled from me.

I imagine the reallignment and conference scheduling and the new TV agreement will dictate the home opener date and time is still TBA, but we have opened on a Thursday night for has to be close to 15 years now. I think every home opener at the TCF/ now Huntington Bank stadium has been a Thursday that I can remember as I have only missed 1.

I imagine the reallignment and conference scheduling and the new TV agreement will dictate the home opener date and time is still TBA, but we have opened on a Thursday night for has to be close to 15 years now. I think every home opener at the TCF/ now Huntington Bank stadium has been a Thursday that I can remember as I have only missed 1.
Thats's been the case besides the years we've started on the road in week 1 (2009, 2010, 2011).

It'll be a Thursday night opener against UNC next year.

I don't have a ton new to add here, but we really enjoyed our trip to Chapel Hill as well.

Fans treated us great, fun gameday atmosphere and stadium experience, Franklin St was a blast. Trip lived up to the hype!

Per Wikipedia, the first home opener on the Thursday before Labor Day was in 2013, a 51-23 shredding of UNLV. The Gophers have been at home Thursday before Labor Day ever since. I, for one, love it.

The following week was the game in which Danny's Casa de Autos gained it's notoriety in our fanbase.

I can’t see any way he’d come back. He’ll be a high end first rounder and has a shot to go ahead of Williams (probably Williams, Maye then it gets a little more fuzzy with Sanders, Ewers, Nix, Leonard and a bunch of guys)
Always difficult to tell what NFL teams are looking for at QB with the current set of schemes, but Maye looks the part (big, mobile, throws well). Watching him Saturday, he looked to be a slightly less dynamic version of Trevor Lawrence. Great footwork.

I wasn't at the game, but have been to Chapel Hill. Gorgeous campus.

Our group had a great time. Good weather, beautiful campus, nice people and good food. Had planned to seek out some of the tailgating, but had so much fun on Franklin Street that we never got to that. We heard at more than one place that they hadn't planned for so many Minnesota fans and UNC fans don't typically hit the bars heavily, so they were understaffed.

Everyone said the same thing about Nebraska fans when they use to win all the time. When they started losing, the tune changed.
Think you’re on to something. Opposing fans are always nicest to fans of non-rivals and non-conference opponents. I’ve read on Michigan boards in the past how Iowa fans in Iowa City are great. Few fans of Minnesota, Iowa State etc. would share that view.

I had a blast mixing it up with all fellow Minnesotans down in CH! As you have all said UNC fans were great, all my Carolina folks noted the friendliness and respectfulness of Gopher fans. So kudos all around. It has been a long time since I have been near so many Minnesotans so I was probably a pester to some of you. Thanks for the company, and will be up in MN next year in the Maroon and Gold this time. UNC was my grad school, so the homestate team gets the colors next year!

Agree with this. Everyone is nice and gracious too (in team sports that is) when they are kicking your ass.

Top Bottom