OMG! Scout has Gophers ranked #83 in recruiting?.................

froggopher

Reaction score
However, we may move up quite a bit after the Feb. 6 signing day. Hopefully! Sheesh!! Really thought we would be much higher than #83! :cry: Go Gophers!:clap:

However, we may move up quite a bit after the Feb. 6 signing day. Hopefully! Sheesh!! Really thought we would be much higher than #83! :cry: Go Gophers!:clap:

Wait what....holy crap are you kidding....this class is not highly ranked? Son of a....I thought we had a top 10 class on paper that is shocking to hear we are #83 according to scout. How did we fall so far so fast what happened to all those stud 4 star recruits we had lined up? Truly shocking news thank you so much for bringing it to our attention by starting a new thread to point out what everyone has been talking about for months....:clap:

We'll move up some, we only have 15 commits right now. On rivals we have a better avr. star number than 13 teams ranked ahead of us, including Illinois and Purdue. Seems like our classes are always ranked higher on Rivals than on Scout.

Sorry, I forgot to check out Rival's. The above poster is right about Rivals ranking Minnesota higher than the other guys. Go Gophers!!

Trust JK to select the kids who ultimately will determine his success as a head coach.

Trust JK to select the kids who ultimately will determine his success as a head coach.

Why would I trust JK to do that when there are so many experts here who know better than him?

Because JK can be fired the experts can't.
Oh, I'd guess if you consistently give four stars to guys who do absolutely nothing, you'll be relieved of your duties as an "expert" evaluator of high school talent.

Because JK can be fired the experts can't.

That and for many other reasons including that these recruiting sites are primarily interested in maximizes their profits while JK's focus is on getting the best possible players for his system. The analysis process to achieve those goals are considerable different. Yet many people here continue to trust these sites over Kill. It is a fool's paradise.:confused:

We'll move up some, we only have 15 commits right now.

Doubtful. What matters is the league table and we are in last place in the B1G by 175 points. 2 star are only worth roughly 50 points so we would need at least 3-4 of them just to move out of the basement.

The recruiting class is an embarrassment and a bunch of hardcore fans want to joke about it? It going to be a long, long time before the U has a successful FB program with this attitude.

"I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" Come on, join in everyone.

Doubtful. What matters is the league table and we are in last place in the B1G by 175 points. 2 star are only worth roughly 50 points so we would need at least 3-4 of them just to move out of the basement.

The recruiting class is an embarrassment and a bunch of hardcore fans want to joke about it? It going to be a long, long time before the U has a successful FB program with this attitude.

It'll move up in the overall rankings, I didn't say big10 rankings. What you want the fans to bitch and moan on here and that will make the FB program better?

Big10 recruiting is a tier structure. First tier is almost always going to be OSU and Michigan. Second tier is typically PSU, Nebraksa, and maybe Mich St. Third tier is typically like Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois. We are in the fourth tier with Purdue, Indiana, and Northwestern. There really isn't that much difference between our class and Illinois' class this year in my opinion even though Illinois is ranked 6th in the big10 standing.

That is disappointing, but it's a small class. Ratings don't mean everything, so we can hope the coaches will polish some of these two-star guys and we will appreciate some sleepers.

I like our class; it seems rock solid to me it just lacks star power. Like the Vikes, our Gophers need more star power at the LB and especially the WR positions and it's too bad we're not doing a bit better in those areas. I think we have future stars on the roster at QB and RB now but our WRs are not very good. They'll improve with another year under their belt, but we need better talent there.

It always upsets uninformed and casual fans when recruiting sites rank our classes lower than other teams.
Kill has clearly taken a different approach to recruiting than Brewster did, and has found some kids who were lightly recruited but clearly have talent.
In a few years we will know whether the new approach that appears to spit in the face of rivals/scout/espn/247 worked. If we are sitting at an 8-10 win season within 3 years you have to give Kill credit for finding kids that fit his systems or that show potential at other positions than they played in HS and making them into productive B1G players.
If not, well then we can look back and point to these classes as "ranked" too low as a root cause.

It'll move up in the overall rankings, I didn't say big10 rankings. What you want the fans to bitch and moan on here and that will make the FB program better?

Yeah, I've never understood when people say things like that. So if I just act pissed off and never satisfied, then we'll win more games? Dang, I didn't know it was that easy!

Grabbing guys like Wozniack, Tedric Thompson, or Duke Riley would go a long way toward bolstering that ranking, on both sites. The thing I'm seeing regarding Kill's recruiting the last couple years, is he seems to quickly wrap up some guys who maybe aren't as heralded, but obviously the staff really liked what they saw either in camp or something. Those type of kids, I'm just gonna have to assume Kill really wants and it's great he locks them up early. But at the same time, some of those kids bring down the ranking cause they don't have a lot of offers and they aren't that highly rated necessarily.

Then on another note, you see a guy like Jalen Myrick, who is lowly regarded in Rivals and Scout, but then ESPN ranks him as our #1 recruit right now. Simlarly with Santoso being our 3rd on ESPN but on Rivals and Scout, he's pretty low in line. I don't even know what to make of that. I figure, if SOMEONE is seeing the talent (one of the recruiting services, or a player's offer list), then that's at least some form of validation for the staff in the court of public opinion.

Yeah, I've never understood when people say things like that. So if I just act pissed off and never satisfied, then we'll win more games? Dang, I didn't know it was that easy!

You don't understand because you settle for mediocrity. Others expect more. You just don't have the same standards that they do.

Yeah, I've never understood when people say things like that. So if I just act pissed off and never satisfied, if I just act pissed off and never satisfied, Dang, I didn't know it was that easy!

Dang also, if I also knew it was that easy I would have just act pissed off and then would could won more games? Leave and learn.

Dang also, if I also knew it was that easy I would have just act pissed off and then would could won more games? Leave and learn.
It's not enough to act pissed off. We need action! Grab your torches and pitchforks, let's send a message that the administration will hear loud and clear!

I'm not pissed. I just look at this class as another group of bodies that will most likely max out at the 2 - 3 win level in the big ten. The rest of the big ten is bringing in better athletes overall. This class doesn't seem to do much to close the talent gap we have been facing for 50 years running.

I'm not pissed. I just look at this class as another group of bodies that will most likely max out at the 2 win level in the big ten. The rest of the big ten is bringing in better athletes overall. This class doesn't seem to do much to close the talent gap we have been facing for around 50 years running.

You keep saying this but you won't even name specific players that you don't think are good enough.

I'm not pissed. I just look at this class as another group of bodies that will most likely max out at the 2 win level in the big ten. The rest of the big ten is bringing in better athletes overall. This class doesn't seem to do much to close the talent gap we have been facing for around 50 years running.

Well with that attitude nothing will get better! Jesus dude, you're effing depressing and you have NO clue about what you're talking about! Guaranteed that you have NOT seen a single one of these recruits play in person and if you have cannot judge talent worth a sh*t. I will NOT respond to any of your trollish remarks from now on!!!!!

BTW for any Gopher fan: Does Berkeley Edwards remind anyone of Garrett Wolf (a tailback Kill had at Northern)?

BTW for any Gopher fan: Does Berkeley Edwards remind anyone of Garrett Wolf (a tailback Kill had at Northern)?

Garrett Wolfe played for Novak exclusively - never for Kill. He was drafted the year before Kill was hired at NIU. And I do see some similarities between them, though Edwards is quite a bit bigger. If he is anywhere near the back that Wolfe was in college, we are in for a treat.

I'm not pissed. I just look at this class as another group of bodies that will most likely max out at the 2 - 3 win level in the big ten. The rest of the big ten is bringing in better athletes overall. This class doesn't seem to do much to close the talent gap we have been facing for 50 years running.

That's absolutely silly.

Yes, we all wish were were bringing in highly ranked recruits, but good lord, there are plenty of examples of teams and coaches that consistently brought in low ranked classes and won alot of games. Not even just boise or TCU types either.
I'll point to 2008, 2009, and 2010 wisky unfortunately at #41, #43, and #87

I am not an expert but I do put some stock in the rivals, espn, scout rankings of our class. I also look at what other schools offered our commitments. I compare this to other B1G commitments. When I look at it this way I feel like we are not pulling in a very good class. If we can flip Andrews back to us and get Riley, Spearman and Wozniak that will help. If not we will mostly be relying on longer-shot recruits that had little interest from other big ten teams.

I certainly understand that our guys could outperform their ranking. It is not a troll to be disapointed with the players we have so far just as it is not a troll to be satisfied or even ecstatic with our class.

Garrett Wolfe played for Novak exclusively - never for Kill. He was drafted the year before Kill was hired at NIU. And I do see some similarities between them, though Edwards is quite a bit bigger. If he is anywhere near the back that Wolfe was in college, we are in for a treat.

Thanks DP! I was too lazy to look it up.

When I watch Edwards he's got that "one cut & go," ability and definitely has speed. I can't wait to watch him during spring ball to see just how fast he really is!

This recruiting class will provide the best insight into Kill's ability to recruit because ON PAPER we are bringing in less talented athletes compared to our competition. The thought from day one on Kill and his staff is that they can evaluate talent better then those they are up against and find players that can excel despite their preceived disadvantage from a ranking standpoint.

This incoming class as it looks right now is pretty light on star power but also doesn't seem to have a lot of reaches in it. The key to survival for Kill and his staff with recruiting classes like this will be not missing on guys. At some point though they are going to need to find a way to land some top flight players as well. We can knock the rankings all we want but in general a 4 or 5 star recruit has a better chance of turning out to be a stud than a 3 star guy does. Definitely not an exact science but they are right quite a bit with the rankings.

Top Bottom