Omaha World Herald: In Kill's first two years, "Gophers have been hideous on offense"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Omaha World Herald: In Kill's first two years, "Gophers have been hideous on offense"

per the Omaha World Herald:

Minnesota

QB: Philip Nelson, sophomore

Where: TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis

When: Oct. 26 (time and TV TBA)

Last year: Nebraska 38-14

In Jerry Kill's two years as coach, the Golden Gophers have been hideous on offense. Hideous. Just 310 yards and 18.4 points per game in 2011 and 321 yards and 22.1 points per game in 2012. One reason: He won't settle on a quarterback. Nelson, who took over halfway through last year, is a dual-threat player suited to run Kill's zone-read offense. He hit the wall with remarkable ferocity in regular season-ending losses to Nebraska and Michigan State (rushing for minus-7 yards and completing 18 of 46 passes with five interceptions), but Nelson's bound to improve. That is, if Kill sticks with him. With Minnesota's entire offensive line returning, Nelson can start to build a profile as a run-first/pass-smart quarterback who helps the Gophers eat clock and rely on a better-than-average defense.

http://www.omaha.com/article/201307...1002#mckewon-ranking-the-huskers-opponent-qbs

Go Gophers!!

This is what happens when you run your business into the ground and interns and high schoolers now do most of the writing. It's like this guy has never heard of google before and did zero research. Moron.

Shocking revelation.

Might have something to do with implementing a completely new system, and trotting out an inordinate number of teenagers on the offensive line for a few seasons.

A couple of things. Although I disagree about the sticking with a QB business, 321 yards/game is not going to win a lot of games. Bleed you are great at posting these things, and I appreciate them, but are you sure that this is from the Omaha World Herald? I don't know why I'm questioning this, but it reads more like a blog than a newspaper report and the URL does not make it clear that its from a newspaper. Anyway, thanks for all that you contribute to the page Bleed.

Sorry Bleed, I now see "OWH" on the page. As usual you are correct.

I was with him the first three sentences. Then he lost me.

JK would agree with the first 3 sentences. He stuck with PN to the point that it cost him his QB depth.

Quiz

When is the last year Minnesota returned the same Starting QB (that ended up starting all games the next year - FIFY for you smart-asses) the same Offensive Coordinator, and the same Head Coach from the previous fall?

I think this article is wonderful. I hope every member of the Neb defense commits it to memory and comes into TCF fully believing it. The first 3 touchdowns the Gopher O scores the Neb defense will chalk up to a "fluke". It won't be until touchdowns 4 and 5 that Neb will wake up and realize they are in deep poo. By then it will be too late.

Final Score
Minnesota 35
Nebraska 21

Who is this writer....Did he pay attention to last season?

Who is this writer....Did he pay attention to last season?

I'm hoping for much better in 2013. However, if this Omaha writer was at the Gopher/Nebraska game in Lincoln, I'm afraid that he didn't see much offense from my Gophers on that day. A lot of 3 and outs pretty much was the story during the first three quarters.

And, the big thing I recall about the MSU/Gopher game was the way MSU physically dominated my Gophers. Their running back ran all over us and their defense manhandled us pretty badly at times too. It was like watching men against boys, I am afraid for too much of that game.

As I stated, I am hoping for a much better showing from the offensive line and the running game to give our QB a fighting chance to make some magic happen on offense in 2013. But, for the two games the Omaha writer mentioned, my Gopher's offense was pretty much overpowered by the defenses.

Things will be better in 2013! Go Gophers!

I'm hoping for much better in 2013. However, if this Omaha writer was at the Gopher/Nebraska game in Lincoln, I'm afraid that he didn't see much offense from my Gophers on that day. A lot of 3 and outs pretty much was the story during the first three quarters.

And, the big thing I recall about the MSU/Gopher game was the way MSU physically dominated my Gophers. Their running back ran all over us and their defense manhandled us pretty badly at times too. It was like watching men against boys, I am afraid for too much of that game.

As I stated, I am hoping for a much better showing from the offensive line and the running game to give our QB a fighting chance to make some magic happen on offense in 2013. But, for the two games the Omaha writer mentioned, my Gopher's offense was pretty much overpowered by the defenses.

Things will be better in 2013! Go Gophers!

A thanks to Eric Thrall:

GOLDEN GOPHER FOOTBALL

Michigan State 26, Minnesota 10

TCF Bank Stadium - Minneapolis, Minnesota

November 24, 2012

Scoreboard

Final

Michigan State 6 7 3 10 26
Minnesota 7 0 3 0 10

SCORING SUMMARY

First Quarter
MSU 11:24 Conroy 48 FG
MN 4:43 Hill 33 interception return (Wettstein kick)
MSU 1:29 Conroy 43 FG

Second Quarter
MSU 1:28 Fowler 41 pass from Maxwell (Conroy kick)

Third Quarter
MSU 11:01 Conroy 43 FG
MN 7:05 Wettstein 48 FG

Fourth Quarter
MSU 14:56 Conroy 30 FG
MSU 7:25 Bell 8 run (Conroy kick)

Game notes:

-

Back to the 2012 season page...

Back to the Michigan State page...

Back to the football historical records page...

Back to the University of Minnesota page...

Back to Eric's home page...

Minnesota

Michigan State

First Downs 7 21
Rushing Yards 4 278
Passing Yards 92 143
Net Yards 96 421
Comp/Att/Int 13/30/4 13/29/2
Punts/Avg 6/44.3 3/43.3
Fumbles/Lost 2/0 1/0
Penalties/Yds 1/10 5/45
Time of Possession 22:23 37:37
Attendance 44,194

INDIVIDUAL STATS

RUSHING

Att

Yds

TD

Minnesota
Donnell Kirkwood 10 19 0
MarQueis Gray 5 4 0
Rodrick Williams Jr. 1 1 0
Max Shortell 1 -9 0
Philip Nelson 2 -11 0
Michigan State
Le'Veon Bell 35 266 1
Larry Caper 2 23 0
Nick Hill 4 8 0
Team 1 -2 0
Andrew Maxwell 2 -17 0

PASSING

Cmp

Att

Yds

TD

Int

Minnesota
Philip Nelson 10 23 61 0 3
Max Shortell 3 6 31 0 1
MarQueis Gray 0 1 0 0 0
Michigan State
Andrew Maxwell 13 29 143 1 2

RECEIVING

No.

Yds

TD

Minnesota
Andre McDonald 3 36 0
Derrick Engel 3 35 0
Devin Crawford-Tufts 1 13 0
John Rabe 1 7 0
K.J. Maye 3 4 0
Donnell Kirkwood 2 -3 0
Michigan State
Bennie Fowler 7 101 1
Tony Lippett 3 24 0
Le'Veon Bell 1 9 0
Keith Mumphery 1 5 0
Dion Sims 1 4 0

The writer seems to think that we playing a bit of musical chairs at QB for the heck of it. Other than him acknowledging that we had little or no choice but to switch up our QBs quite a bit, the article is spot on. Our offense has been a huge problem the last couple of years. It's partially because we haven't had consistency at QB. Kill didn't choose to mix it up the last couple years, we had no choice. However, if we can stabilize the QB situation and our oline develops like it should, our offense should greatly improve. This is really the point of his article.

Last year's Michigan State game was one of the most painful games I've watched.

The story isn't exemplary journalism and there are plausible explanations for our underperformance, but the conclusion is correct and we've got to be better on the offensive side of the ball. Continuity should help (I hope), but everyone (drum roll for the upcoming cliche) is going to have to step it up a notch.

i never looked at the box for the MSU games but coaches lose jobs over those types of results.

The truth is the truth...man up and face the truth...

Write nothing that gives the Huskers any incentive.

Then, get to work, get better, and the next time we play Nebraska and MSU, play better than we did the last time. Work hard...play harder...make the other teams AND their writers respect our offense. The Gopher Offensive Line can make some good things happen in 2013 against Nebraska and a lot of other B1G Teams. Dean, it is NOT a matter of the Husker's motivation and incentive...it is ALL about the Gopher's motivation, incentive and intensity of play on offense that will mean anything in the 2013 Nebraska vs. Minnesota game.

Simply face the facts. What happened in 2012 happened. Now, it is up to our Gophers to play better in 2013 on offense...on defense and on special teams. It really doesn't matter what a journalist from Omaha says. What matters is what the 2013 Golden Gopher Program does to improve in the 2013 B1G Season...

; 0 )

Top Bottom