Omaha Sports Talk Station Hangs Up on Former Gopher Ron Johnson

Can't listen to it since I'm at work. What happened?

Ron's segment starts at the 4:15 mark. LOL....Further in the segment, Ron said he didn't know Nebraskan's had radios, wanted to know if anyone was listening to the program. Also, if it isn't true about no radios in Nebraska, Ron gave his twitter handle and said to have listeners give him some info on just how much technology they have in Nebraska. Sharp and Benning thought he was disrespecting the audience, they said, alright Ron, thanks and they Hung up, then smack talking from other listeners.

Must have been some history... R. Johnson was a twat.

First 80% of the segment was normal back and forth Xs and Os... and then out of the blue, Johnson insults Nebraska fanbase, saying they don't have technology (i.e. "is anyone actually listening to this show, do you have radios in Nebraska)... then asks for everyone to follow him on Twitter.

EDIT: Probably a stunt to drum up excitement for the game, followers on Twitter.... just poorly executed.

Woah! Awkward.

Ron Johnson was talking about going on radio in Nebraska and said, "I didn't know people had radios in Nebraska". And then he went on and said if they even had Twitter, they can Tweet him at RonJohnson_3 (or something like that).

He then went on to tell them about our Wide Receiver situation and then the guy hung up. He said that it would be Ok to disrespect the hosts, but don't disrespect our audience.

I agree with Barn Boy and GopherPop's assessment above.

I didn't hear it that way, he poorly played a joke.

The radio guys have thin skin. The one guy who said "don't disrespect..." is totally butthurt about the whole thing and can barely bring himself to say anything the rest of the segment.

The bad news for them is that it's working for RJ. His twitter is blowing up.

O.K. maybe not blowing up, but getting some action. Maybe they really don't have radios there:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you click down on the Ron Johnson segment link and fast forward to ~9:30 you'll hear it.

Pretty light stuff, host gets irked, seems awkward after the hang up.

The whole thing is weird and awkward.

What a dope, this is the same guy that comes on here and advertises his website right?

What a dope, this is the same guy that comes on here and advertises his website right?

He has a podcast which regularly features former gophers. I think Crawford Jordan is his regular co-host. It's pretty good, but Gopher Gridiron is the gold standard of gopher podcasts these days. The production quality puts everyone else to shame. Derek Burns brings a lot to the table and the host Luke Bueher (sp?) reeps the conversation moving. Burns has always seemed liked a good egg and he connects with the recruits. I wish MV, Oleboy and Frothy would start theirs up again. They were always a fun listen.

Jesus, lighten up. Calling him a twat? Wow.

Ron was just fooling around and it was actually funny, I thought. He was a great player and a great supporter of the Gophers. Give him a break, Mr. Twat Caller

That was not impressive by Ron Johnson. If Ron thought that was funny, he has a unique sense of humor. He came across as a jerk.

Ron seems like a very smart and sometimes funny guy on local radio and on social media. He was one of my favorite Gopher players during his time. Yes, it was a very stupid attempt at humor and I believe he has apologized for it.

Jesus, lighten up. Calling him a twat? Wow.

Ron was just fooling around and it was actually funny, I thought. He was a great player and a great supporter of the Gophers. Give him a break, Mr. Twat Caller

Read the other comments; I'm not in the minority.

He was a great player. In fact, one of my favorites (I went to the U at the same time as him). I'd love to pick his brain about being a Gopher or buy him a beer.

But what he did was bush-league. Twat-like behavior? Is that better?

Geez...And I thought it was only the radio guys in Omaha needed a thicker skin.

Geez...And I thought it was only the radio guys in Omaha needed a thicker skin.

You guys are missing the point.

His joke/stunt was a complete non-sequitur. It came out of left-field, wasn't even that funny and made him, and indirectly the University, look like a bit of an ass.

If the goal was to poke fun at Nebraska or gain Twitter followers, there are probably 30 funnier and better ways to execute it.

And yes, the sun will come up tomorrow. And no, I haven't lost any sleep over this.

Good-grief, pitchfork nation. Cry me a river.

The radio hosts are pissed for getting upstaged by a Gopher, who they feel superior to even though we have been winning games against them. Has nothing to do with the actual comment itself, as it's clearly tongue-in-cheek. He said himself he's just trying to drum up some friendly trash-talking. Does the host have that reaction if Neb is a top 10 team right now, and they're not coming off two straight losses to the lowly Gophers?....maybe, but not totally convinced of that. I can feel the condescension oozing from my headphones, and maybe that's why he decided to go there in the first place. Good for you, man.

People take shots at Minnesota about the weather and the accent All. The. Time. It's on national TV every week for God's sake. Have you seen Fargo? It comes off as extremely whiny to me to get worked up over that. Must be a silver spoon thing. Hanging up on someone in any circumstance is childish. Bunch of babies. Scripted, bland radio is everywhere and bores me to death. Get this guy a job on the FAN or 1500.

Top Bottom