Oline and Dline stronger, more agile and faster than last year

swingman

Reaction score
Fleck after practice yesterday:

Our offensive line is stronger, as our weight room numbers in the offseason are stronger than last year. Speed and agility? Faster, more athletic than last year's line. Defensive line is the exact same way.

So when you're going good on good, iron sharpens iron, and that's what you would want to be able to see and I'm really proud of the guys the way they're working.

This gives me some optimism for the tough schedule this year. Ski-U-Mah!

PJ is working overtime hyping his team up. What's that all about? It is unusual for any coach to do so...it seems surprising.

He knows it's not normal to hype your team to this degree. Not achieving the expectations of all your hype and the result is...the scorn of the fans is greater if you are not best ever. People won't pay attention next time.

It puts way more pressure on your team to live up to the coaches words.

Obviously he's calculated this is the best tactic for this season for this team. Curious why he is choosing to be so aggressive in the praise even if it is true.

There is a new WOW! Look at us best ever comment every day from PJ and the game is sold out and two weeks away. The schedule is rated second toughest overall. What's up? It is not typical coach speak.

PJ is working overtime hyping his team up. What's that all about? It is unusual for any coach to do so...it seems surprising.

He knows it's not normal to hype your team to this degree. Not achieving the expectations of all your hype and the result is...the scorn of the fans is greater if you are not best ever. People won't pay attention next time.

Obviously he's calculated this is the best tactic for this season for this team. Curious why he is choosing to be so aggressive in the praise even if it is true.

There is a new WOW! Look at us best ever comment every day from PJ and the game is sold out and two weeks away. The schedule is rated second toughest overall. What's up? It is not typical coach speak.

He does seem to be promoting the team more than usual. But he didn’t say these groups are better. He said stronger and more agile. They might suck at blocking or tackling.

I am not sure about his aggressiveness this year vs others. I personally think that PJ, while generally very positive, has given what he believes are accurate assessments for his team in the past. He isn't one to tone it down. Notice that he also does not say that "I think we'll win the West" or "this team will be the best team I've ever coached" or "we'll be a CFP team" or anything like that. If he did that, then he'd run the risk of overselling. He also doesn't generally say "this is the best group of RBs/WRs/CBs/insert position here that we've ever had." He says things like "this is the hardest working group" or this is "the most athletic group." I frankly think he does a good job of being amped up and excited about his team, while not promising the world.

I am not sure about his aggressiveness this year vs others. I personally think that PJ, while generally very positive, has given what he believes are accurate assessments for his team in the past. He isn't one to tone it down. Notice that he also does not say that "I think we'll win the West" or "this team will be the best team I've ever coached" or "we'll be a CFP team" or anything like that. If he did that, then he'd run the risk of overselling. He also doesn't generally say "this is the best group of RBs/WRs/CBs/insert position here that we've ever had." He says things like "this is the hardest working group" or this is "the most athletic group." I frankly think he does a good job of being amped up and excited about his team, while not promising the world.
I agree he has not predicted an undefeated season or pretty much even talked about winning.
Those are outcomes and he is about processes but I don't think fans beyond Gopherhole are going to separate the distinction.
I pay close attention to PJ's pressers and this is his most hype by far. In the past he has always added qualifiers...I don't recall quotes, but something like we'll see, there are no guarantees or so and so opponent is really good, or we are getting better, just not sure it's enough yet.
But now, the qualifiers have mostly disappeared and the hype isn't once a week it's nearly daily.
And it's not one thing or one aspect. He's doubling down on all positions, both sides of the ball.

"Best D Line ever, it should be, it's year 7" is not typical for any coach. And there has been a bunch similar.
I agree with you...just think it's far more frequent and absent the disclaimers.
Deion is the only other guy I can think of who has a similar approach in hype and PJ was not anything like that in the past.

"We" are his audience. He's trying to give us enough to get out of bed and head down to Huntington and support "our" talented Gophers!

Penn State, OSU, and Michigan have the luxury of not having to worry about bottoms in seats nearly as much as we do.

I agree he has not predicted an undefeated season or pretty much even talked about winning.
Those are outcomes and he is about processes but I don't think fans beyond Gopherhole are going to separate the distinction.
I pay close attention to PJ's pressers and this is his most hype by far. In the past he has always added qualifiers...I don't recall quotes, but something like we'll see, there are no guarantees or so and so opponent is really good, or we are getting better, just not sure it's enough yet.
But now, the qualifiers have mostly disappeared and the hype isn't once a week it's nearly daily.
And it's not one thing or one aspect. He's doubling down on all positions, both sides of the ball.

"Best D Line ever, it should be, it's year 7" is not typical for any coach. And there has been a bunch similar.
I agree with you...just think it's far more frequent and absent the disclaimers.
Deion is the only other guy I can think of who has a similar approach in hype and PJ was not anything like that in the past.
The guiding principle of Fleck’s program is positive thinking. It starts with the head coach and permeates down to the athletes.

Believing you belong on the field with The OSU and Michigan is a necessary step in playing with them 60 minutes.

The guiding principle of Fleck’s program is positive thinking. It starts with the head coach and permeates down to the athletes.

Believing you belong on the field with The OSU and Michigan is a necessary step in playing with them 60 minutes.
Thank you. One game at a time. Nebraska is next up. Let's focus on them.

It’s not at all uncommon for a coach to praise a position group or team, I hardly even consider it hyping. If he honestly thinks this is his best dline he’s had in 7 years what’s wrong with saying that? Does he say it every year? If so, then yeah you just roll your eyes, but I don’t think Fleck does that. What other examples do you have of him raving about a group? I just saw a clip of the Utah coach saying this is the most talented team he has had. I don’t think this is unusual at all.

Top Bottom