Ole Miss Charged by NCAA (recruiting violations)

UNC scandal > Gangelhoffer spanning twenty years.

They should reinstate all the Gophers victories and tournament wins if they are going to do nothing to UNC.

UNC scandal > Gangelhoffer spanning twenty years.

They should reinstate all the Gophers victories and tournament wins if they are going to do nothing to UNC.

^This along with lifting the sanctions on PSU they should give SMU an extra 25 scholarships for the next 25-years to help make up for what would have been a slap on the wrist had it happened today.

The NCAA is the biggest f'ing joke on the planet.

I'm not optimistic that the NCAA will do anything meaningful in the UNC case, despite the fact that in terms of scope and duration it is the most egregious case of NCAA academic fraud that I'm aware of. My recollection is that the NCAA upfront said they were not going to question the bona fides of the sham courses that were used as the vehicle for maintaining eligibility, because non-athletes were permitted to enroll in those cases. That makes no sense to me as, in my opinion, the question should be whether the purpose of those courses was to keep athletes eligible. Refusing to address that issue simply because of non-athlete eligibly opens a huge loophole for the use of academic fraud to maintain athlete eligibility.

I'm not optimistic that the NCAA will do anything meaningful in the UNC case, despite the fact that in terms of scope and duration it is the most egregious case of NCAA academic fraud that I'm aware of. My recollection is that <b>the NCAA upfront said they were not going to question the bona fides of the sham courses that were used as the vehicle for maintaining eligibility, because non-athletes were permitted to enroll in those cases. </b>That makes no sense to me as, in my opinion, the question should be whether the purpose of those courses was to keep athletes eligible. Refusing to address that issue simply because of non-athlete eligibly opens a huge loophole for the use of academic fraud to maintain athlete eligibility.

Wow - I didn't recall that, but it is amazing. By that reasoning, it wasn't having Gangelhoff do athlete's work to remain eligible that was wrong, but rather that we didn't have her do non-athlete's work as well. Seems about right for the NCAA.

The NCAA does not have the power to make anyone testify under oath. That is one of many reasons why the process takes so long.
The misdeeds at UNC were so many and for so long that the death penalty seems warranted if the NCAA can get enough evidence.

Wow - I didn't recall that, but it is amazing. By that reasoning, it wasn't having Gangelhoff do athlete's work to remain eligible that was wrong, but rather that we didn't have her do non-athlete's work as well. Seems about right for the NCAA.

Agreed.

Top Bottom