Old, stale topic...

denguegopher

Reaction score
I just rewatched some of the Michigan - NU game from yesterday. A week ago I whined about Big 10 reffing, about how Michigan gets the benefit of the doubt. I saw it again in yesterdays game. I do not think that there is a grand conspiracy against Michigan's opponents. Its just in the instant where the ref says to himself, "is that holding, pass interference, roughing the passer?" he gives the call to Michigan. I think that all those little calls usually mean that you have to outplay Michigan or Ohio State by 7-10 points in order to win. Those calls add up to losses in field position, forced punts instead of sustained drives, etc. Someone wrote that every play of a game is reviewed from the reffing standpoint. I don't think that the refs necessarily make bad calls, they are probably not bad calls, they are borderline calls. I am confident that if borderline calls were analyzed there would be systematic error (a huge portion of borderline calls go in Mich and OSU's favor). If it were random error 50% of borderline calls would favor any team - I believe that its tilted to Michigan and OSU's benefit. Yesterday as I saw the NU player run back the kickoff for a TD I was hollering to my wife that there would be a flag, sure enough. OK, that's my whine of the day.

You make good points. I've been thinking the same thing, this season especially. Not just in Michigan games, but across the B1G.

I think the problem lies in the fact that this isn't the referees' full time job. They do some training and show up on Saturdays for games. Whereas the coaches and players put in countless hours year round and all week long for a game that's overseen by men who do this as a glorified hobby.

I just rewatched some of the Michigan - NU game from yesterday. A week ago I whined about Big 10 reffing, about how Michigan gets the benefit of the doubt. I saw it again in yesterdays game. I do not think that there is a grand conspiracy against Michigan's opponents. Its just in the instant where the ref says to himself, "is that holding, pass interference, roughing the passer?" he gives the call to Michigan.

Talked to many, many Husker fans over at HuskerMax about last weeks game against Michigan. They, too, mentioned how the B1G refs seemed to give calls toward Michigan (and OSU) in general. They said the Minn/Mich game was further evidence about it.

There's no doubt in my mind that they give the helmet schools better calls, just because of the parity between the talent. It'll always look like our DB will be holding on to their WR because of the speed/talent differential. Sad, but I'm afraid it's true.

You should see the Penn State boards, its a complete mutiny about refereeing. A lot of them are convinced that 1. Michigan and OSU have always gotten favored ever since they got invited, and 2. Penn State is going to be systematically screwed by the refs because of the sanctions and scandal. There are a ton of them screaming about leaving the B1G for the ACC! :rolleyes:

Illinois fans are probably saying that we got all the calls yesterday. I am a firm believer that speed and skill puts you in place to get the calls.

These officials put in their time watching film, taking tests, and going to clinics. They only receive pay for the game itself. As we learned with the replacement officials in the NFL this year, the regulars are the cream of the crop and have worked their tails off to get where they are. It is very competetive in officiating and trying to make the next level.

How would you like to be a NU fan? NU should be 9-0. They lose to State Penn, Nebraska and Michigan despite leads into the 4th quarter. Saturday's collapse with a Hail Mary with 18 seconds left to set up the tying FG was an absolute heartbreaker.

Interesting tidbit from ESPN Big Ten Blog "What we learned in the Big Ten: Week 11:"

5. The Big Ten has an officiating problem: Crisis is probably too strong a word, but at the very least, the Big Ten has an image issue with its officiating after the past several weeks. Michigan State coaches and players were livid with some of the late-game calls in the loss against Nebraska, particularly a pass-interference penalty near the end zone at the end of the game. Michigan and Minnesota also griped about pass-interference interpretations, while Penn State has felt as though it has gotten the short end of the stick a lot this year, especially with a lack of holding calls versus Ohio State. Frustrations boiled over for the Nittany Lions on a controversial fumble ruling late in Saturday's loss to Nebraska, which led quarterback Matt McGloin to suggest an officiating conspiracy against Penn State. That's taking things a little too far, but Big Ten officiating has some credibility issues right now. It would be nice if the league would issue some sort of statements about the most controversial calls, but the Big Ten prefers to handle such things in-house. The conference needs to make sure its officiating house is in order going forward.

It used to be way worse. I remember a game in Champaign where Tyrone Wheatley lost two huge fumbles that were both called down by contact. No instant replay then. At least now it's just holding and PI :)

I hope I never have to be as pissed as I was that time in the dome when Penn State was gifted a win by the refs.

I hope I never have to be as pissed as I was that time in the dome when Penn State was gifted a win by the refs.

How about the 2001 Purdue game?

After a completion and a first down with :01 left, the refs refuse to wind the clock for at least 10 seconds of real time, and somehow the entire Purdue offense gets off the field, the special teams unit comes on the field, and they get lined up for a field goal and they snap it, all before the clock starts. Absolutely ridiculous. Then in Overtime Antoine Henderson is ruled out of bounds on a clear TD, sealing the victory for Purdue.

I really don't know how they didn't reverse the Penn State call yesterday. Clearly a TD. Worst replay decision I've seen since the 2006 Oklahoma-Oregon game, where two stunning replay decisions literally stole a victory for the Ducks.

As Supervisor of Referees for PC's, I am just glad that I don't have to review replays of PC's. It's not a pretty sight.

How about the 2001 Purdue game?

After a completion and a first down with :01 left, the refs refuse to wind the clock for at least 10 seconds of real time, and somehow the entire Purdue offense gets off the field, the special teams unit comes on the field, and they get lined up for a field goal and they snap it, all before the clock starts. Absolutely ridiculous. Then in Overtime Antoine Henderson is ruled out of bounds on a clear TD, sealing the victory for Purdue.

I really don't know how they didn't reverse the Penn State call yesterday. Clearly a TD. Worst replay decision I've seen since the 2006 Oklahoma-Oregon game, where two stunning replay decisions literally stole a victory for the Ducks.

That Purdue situation would never happen today as there is now a 40 second play clock and they wind the clock as soon as the ball is set. Back then they had a 25 second clock and did not start it until the chains were set on a 1st down.

The Penn State pass interference against Mason's team was a bad call, but replay doesn't help in judgement penalty calls. Those type of plays are always going to occur.

Replay should create fewer issues like the play in Nebraska on Saturday. The goal of replay should be if you and I at home can figure it out, why can't they get it right.

That Purdue situation would never happen today as there is now a 40 second play clock and they wind the clock as soon as the ball is set. Back then they had a 25 second clock and did not start it until the chains were set on a 1st down.

The Penn State pass interference against Mason's team was a bad call, but replay doesn't help in judgement penalty calls. Those type of plays are always going to occur.

Replay should create fewer issues like the play in Nebraska on Saturday. The goal of replay should be if you and I at home can figure it out, why can't they get it right.

That's the key right there. Some people say they don't want to change the flow of the game or take out the human aspect of the game(yes you MLB)...........problem with that arguments is the 'game', because of technology, has changed.......time to keep up.

Photo looks conclusive, but what did the camera angles show? I have not seen video of the play to make a determination.

Top Bottom