OL Report: Illinois Full Game

GFBfan

Reaction score
All in all the OL accounted well the entire first half. They were getting on DL and creating movement, we just didn't always have enough guys to block the Illinois defenders up to stop the run
The Running game:
Andries: 100% on 14 plays
Olson: 93% on 14 plays:
JMS: 100% on 14 plays.
Faalele: 107% on 14 plays
Schlueter: 71% on 14 plays
Ruschmeyer: 71% on 7 plays They switched his number to 48 this week which threw me off some.
Kieft: 100% on 4 plays. He was not on the field enough in the first half to help our running game
BSF: 60% on 5 play

The Passing game
Andries: 88% on 16 plays
Olson: 100% on 16 plays
JMS: 100% on 16 plays
Faalele: 94% on 16 plays
Schlueter: 88% on 16 plays:
Ruschmeyer: 50% on 4 plays
Kieft: 100% on 2 plays
BSF: 20% on 5 plays He's not a great blocker to begin with and he's a great receiver, so I don't understand why they keep him in to pass protect.
Only the second time this year that we have had more pass plays than running plays in a half. (Nebraska first half was the other) Just like with the running game, I thought our OL did a good job of pass protection. The reason that Illinois got pressure is because they were either dropping 8 guys into coverage, blitzing someone off the edge that the back needed to pick up and didn't do so well with it, or our WR couldn't get any separation and Tanner would look to run as soon as his main target didn't get open. Tanner didn't seem to want to hold the ball too long after the early Int.

It was similar to the BG game in that the OL would take care of their man, but there would be an edge defender unaccounted for who would slow the play down or make the tackle.
We didn't adjust our blocking scheme to take advantage of what they were doing. By that I mean, we have usually had a TE (Ko mainly) run across the formation to block the back side to open up the cut back lane. yesterday in the first half we didn't do that at all.

This why I can't stop coming here. Great job!

Let's just skip right to the part where Schlueter got his ass kicked.

No lack of footwork or bad playcalling is going to save him this week.

Just a downright embarrassment. Shameful. Shame.

Hope this can somehow light a fire under his ass. Fix it. Bend your knees/lower your center of gravity, work on your punch. Do something. F'ing fix it.

Or you're going to get bitched exactly like that for the rest of the season.

They're targeting you now.

Last edited:

First one is at 6:36 in the below video. The brilliant call to go empty-backfield on 4th down, out of the timeout, late in the 3rd quarter.

Second one is at 8:47 in the video.

And who were these 5*, likely first round draft picks for ILL???

Thanks for the analysis. This says my ire at the OL is misplaced, at least for the 1st half. I'll try to redirect...

It was similar to the BG game in that the OL would take care of their man, but there would be an edge defender unaccounted for who would slow the play down or make the tackle.
We didn't adjust our blocking scheme to take advantage of what they were doing. By that I mean, we have usually had a TE (Ko mainly) run across the formation to block the back side to open up the cut back lane. yesterday in the first half we didn't do that at all.
Yeah. Running to negative boxes all day.
sometimes we would bring Kramer in an get an extra guy in the box and run to a -2 box. That was nice

Did people notice who is Illinois OL coach? Bart Miller.
Our OL is really struggling with 5 and 6 man fronts on the edges.

Literally any front is going to beat us when you have Schlueter getting bitched, straight up, like that. Two different guys.

I haven't reviewed the numbers yet, making my comment come first.
But i'm going to guess Sam Schlueter was the broken egg in this group.
He's an atrocious LT and has been his whole career.

I haven't reviewed the numbers yet, making my comment come first.
But i'm going to guess Sam Schlueter was the broken egg in this group.
He's an atrocious LT and has been his whole career.
Thanks for letting us know that your comment is ignorant and uninformed.

Go ahead and provide your informed opinion. We're waiting
You’re the biggest tool on this board.
there’s no need to talk about an individual player like you have here. Just stop.
Sam may not be our best starting OL, but he is a starter and has been playing better as the season has gone on. Haven’t watched the second half, but he did well in the first half most of the time. You also seem to have no clue that the other team has D1 players who are pretty good as well and sometimes they win a play.

Haven’t watched the second half
Well spoiler alert: those two were ugly.

Don't worry, Schlueter ain't getting benched. No idea if we'd be better off with Ersery, but I highly doubt they're going to risk trying it if Schlueter is healthy.

Hope this can somehow light a fire under his ass. Fix it. Bend your knees/lower your center of gravity, work on your punch. Do something. F'ing fix it.

I actually focused on him alone for a few plays. It was brutal.
Is he on the list that I read recently that mentioned four Gopher O-lineman "will be playing on Sundays"? If so....yikes.

Someone reported on another thread that Beilma said they came in with the plan to pressure Morgan from is left side (Schlueter). Bert saw that as our weakest spot.

Thanks for the analysis. This says my ire at the OL is misplaced, at least for the 1st half. I'll try to redirect...
When D has one or two more guys pushing than your play call accounts for, people will naturally assume OL playing poorly. Competent OC will adjust blocking or punish D with quick strike to vacated area. Sanford sticks with his plan and makes defense look smart.

The way to beat a 6 man front is to pass the ball and get it out quick. Which we didn’t even attempt save for the first play of the game

One thing you can count on with our O-line is at least two drive-killing holding calls per game.

One thing you can count on with our O-line is at least two drive-killing holding calls per game.
To be fair, yesterday the refs threw 4 holds…
3 on gophers
1 on illinois

All 4 were bad calls IMO

Someone reported on another thread that Beilma said they came in with the plan to pressure Morgan from is left side (Schlueter). Bert saw that as our weakest spot.
without question. My elderly Mother saw that as well.

All in all the OL accounted well the entire first half. They were getting on DL and creating movement, we just didn't always have enough guys to block the Illinois defenders up to stop the run
The Running game:
Andries: 100% on 14 plays
Olson: 93% on 14 plays:
JMS: 100% on 14 plays.
Faalele: 107% on 14 plays
Schlueter: 71% on 14 plays
Ruschmeyer: 71% on 7 plays They switched his number to 48 this week which threw me off some.
Kieft: 100% on 4 plays. He was not on the field enough in the first half to help our running game
BSF: 60% on 5 play

The Passing game
Andries: 88% on 16 plays
Olson: 100% on 16 plays
JMS: 100% on 16 plays
Faalele: 94% on 16 plays
Schlueter: 88% on 16 plays:
Ruschmeyer: 50% on 4 plays
Kieft: 100% on 2 plays
BSF: 20% on 5 plays He's not a great blocker to begin with and he's a great receiver, so I don't understand why they keep him in to pass protect.
Only the second time this year that we have had more pass plays than running plays in a half. (Nebraska first half was the other) Just like with the running game, I thought our OL did a good job of pass protection. The reason that Illinois got pressure is because they were either dropping 8 guys into coverage, blitzing someone off the edge that the back needed to pick up and didn't do so well with it, or our WR couldn't get any separation and Tanner would look to run as soon as his main target didn't get open. Tanner didn't seem to want to hold the ball too long after the early Int.

It looked to me like they had trouble handling the stunt on Morgan’s first interception. Schleuter was beat and the guard couldn’t get enough of the end that tipped the pass and was in Morgan’s grill at the time of delivery. Game of inches, I suppose.

The Illini players and coach in postgame interviews said they noticed some things on the left side of the line they were able to exploit. Did you pick up on what they were talking about?

I actually focused on him alone for a few plays. It was brutal.
Is he on the list that I read recently that mentioned four Gopher O-lineman "will be playing on Sundays"? If so....yike
I know, I was nervous that Bielema and his staff would do exactly what they did which is bring a zero box and blitzers off the left side. They did exactly what I would have done to the Gopher offense. Schleuter is a sixth year guy and still a liability at left tackle. Iowa is going to whip Schleuter, it will not be a pretty game.

On the second drive of the game Schleuter was put on skates right into Morgan. The RB picked up the rush but Morgan was pincered between Schleuter and The running back. So far pass pro doesn’t look so hot.

I’m nearing end of third quarter and Schleuter has been skated or beaten to outside on 4 drop backs.

To me, our OL problems come down to running into loaded fronts. We are almost always -1 and often -2 in the box. That ONLY works if you have a mobile QB that can account for one of them. We do not have that. Teams are daring Morgan to run and then go try to hit him. Another problem I feel is that we aren’t taking care of aggressive linebackers with those “lookie” slants that Bateman and Johnson ran so well. Are our receivers so bad that they can’t run those slants and make a play?

I know this goes on a little bit of a tangent but our pass route design leaves a lot to be desired.

Schleuter was beaten badly at least the fifth time on the play before the game ending interception, leading to sack. Multiple negative plays, often just rushing four.

Yeah, I don’t know what you do with that. Team game. Michael Vick?

Top Bottom