OL First and Second Half Grades

GFBfan

Reaction score
A few years ago, Rockford went through and graded the OL when Big Dan started playing. I thought his work was excellent and wanted to bring it back as I haven't seen anything from him for awhile. Along with that someone in another thread said that Ko was not good at blocking most of the time and I thought he played well, so I wanted to see which was the case.

His system was based on a scoring of 0 for not doing anything, 1 for adequate and a 2 for something special like a pancake block. I went with a slightly different system using this criteria: -2 complete whiff on a Run or Pass, -1 Getting knocked back on a run or too quick of pressure on a Pass, 0 for not doing much of anything, but not affecting the play either, 1 making their block and 2 making block and doing something special like a pancake or taking out 2 or 3 guys.

At times it was difficult to assign a grade. A few of those plays would be the screen pass to BSF the was almost picked. The OL job is to set up to block then let their guy go and get downfield on someone(except for the T who block their guy) Olson, Schmitz, Andries all did that, but never blocked anybody because of the great read by the DL. They were in a position to get to someone so I was debating whether to give them a 0 or 1, I went with a 0. Also, on running plays when we run something to the right and our LT pass sets the DE but doesn't have to touch him because he takes on outside rush, should he get a 0 or 1. I went with a 1 since he did his job.

Figuring out which OL were in the game was also not easy as we played with 5, 6, 7 and 8 OL/TE all throughout the game. It would also help if I had a coach clicker to reverse, slow mo and fast forward.

I got the first half done this morning and will work on the second half later today or tomorrow. Here are the grades I came up with and some comments on players and plays.

The running game: We ran the ball 22 times in the first half with good success, except when we went Wildcat with Potts and Ibrahim. Missed a couple chances to snap the ball early and catch OSU with 12 men on field. The one time was when Mo broke the long one on 4th down, so that can be forgiven, but getting 5 free yards would be nice once in awhile. Also on that play we could have been flagged for movement as Ko and Axel were both leaning about 1/2 second before the snap.
77 Blaise: 14 of 21 for 67%. He was in for all but 1 running play and had one negative block. He also was the one who played LT and RG on and off, so can't be easy making that switch from series to series or play to play.
64 Connor: 15 of 22 for 68%.
60 JM: 13 of 22 for 59%. He struggled against the bigger DL when he had to go at them by himself. Got driven into the backfield on a few occasions.
56 Curtis: 5 of 13 for 38%. Curtis struggled with getting off the ball and/or being physical at the point of attack. He was knocked back on a few occasions as well.
78 Daniel: 14 of 22 for 64%. At times he is just so dominant. Once he gets his hands on a guy they are pretty much done for the play. His problem is he doesn't always get to someone.
70 Sam: 10 of 22 for 45%. He played ok in the run game, just doesn't get great push sometimes and or doesn't lock on to a defender.
65 Axel: 6 of 8 for 75%
42 Ko: 14 of 17 for 82%. He played really well in the run game the first half. Had a couple of pancakes blocks where once he locked onto the guy there was no chance for the DL.
88 BSF: 0 of 11 for 0%. He had a rough first half. He's not physical at point of attack, especially when he is asked to pull and kick out. Fanned a couple times on that type of block and doesn't stay square when making contact allowing the defensive guy to slide off and make a play. Hell of a route runner and pass catcher though.
66 Nathan: 1 of 1 for 100% Was in on 1 play at goal line and we scored. Got off the ball well and made the block.

In looking at these numbers, I may be a little harsh with my grades as they seem low for some when we were able to run the ball efficiently. Some of that is because when a play is run to the right and the LT steps to the right to but off his guy but the DL doesn't follow so our OL doesn't block anyone, I gave them a 0. The other reason is because of Mo and his vision and power to run through tackles. On the 4th down run, all OL went to the right and the DL did as well, as Mo takes the hand off you can see his head turn immediately to the left to where the D vacated a space and the OL did a nice job of sealing off their man. He accelerates to the hole makes a cut in the hole and is off to the races. Not sure we have another back who can do something like that right now.

I also really liked the second TD on the short yardage run by Mo, but not the blocking scheme. On the play we lined up in a heavy formation with Ko and Axel in the backfield. Ko motioned to be offset to the right. The play was designed to go right with Ko kicking out and Axel leading up through the hole just off of Big Dan. On the snap all of our OL stepped right to reach and or cut off the DL to their right. Some of them got pushed back some due to the OSU DL getting under them. Big Dan mauled the guy head up on him, Ko kicked out the DE while Axel went through and got enough of the LB to give Mo enough room to score. I would have rather seen all the OL block down to the left on that play (Dan would have still blocked the same guy), Ko and Axel do the exact same thing they did it would have made it much easier for the other OL to not get pushed back. If you watch the reply of that they show a great overhead shot of the alignment and how the hole was created. We still scored on it, so can't complain too much.

The Passing game: These grades are even harsher, because on those quick pass plays, the OL sets up and doesn't touch someone prior to the pass being released or they pass set on air. In those cases I gave them a 0 since they didn't really do anything that impacted the play.
77 Blaise: 7 of 11 for 64%. One negative play
64 Connor: 9 of 13 for 69%. No negative plays.
60 JM: 11 of 13 for 85%. He has the easiest job on a pass play as he's either helping or getting help from the LG or RG.
56 Curtis: 4 of 5 for 80%. Curtis was much better in pass protection as his size helped in holding ground when DT bull rushed him
78 Daniel: 7 of 13 for 54%. Two negative plays where he allowed his man to get pressure
70 Sam: 7 of 13 for 54%. Three negative plays where he allowed his man to get pressure
65 Axel: 3 of 3 for 100% Axel played well in his spots. Don't think these grades mean he should be a starter, but he does add a different dimension that the defense has to make an adjustment to and figure out if they are going to stack the box to stop run and leave the CB 1 on 1 on the outside.
Ko 4 of 4 for 100%. Would like to see him involved in the pass game some as we move forward. He only once release on a pass route when he was in.

On the sack right before the half, OSU sent two LB's up the middle which left one free and Treyson didn't see and release to the the flat. Connor, JMS and Blaise did a great job on the play of picking up the two DT's and Connor then slide off to one LB. Sam didn't get a good pass set so Tanner started to move early and the unblocked LB was too fast for Tanner to look Potts way. Had he been able to look to his left and dump it off to Treyson it would have been a big gain and maybe even a TD as that whole side of the field was void of any players from either team.

I still don't understand why we didn't use our last TO with 4 seconds to go and throw a Hail Mary on 4th down. Had nothing to lose and we were right on the 50 yard line.

Will be looking at the second half sometime tomorrow hopefully and have my write up done after that.

A few years ago, Rockford went through and graded the OL when Big Dan started playing. I thought his work was excellent and wanted to bring it back as I haven't seen anything from him for awhile. Along with that someone in another thread said that Ko was not good at blocking most of the time and I thought he played well, so I wanted to see which was the case.

His system was based on a scoring of 0 for not doing anything, 1 for adequate and a 2 for something special like a pancake block. I went with a slightly different system using this criteria: -2 complete whiff on a Run or Pass, -1 Getting knocked back on a run or too quick of pressure on a Pass, 0 for not doing much of anything, but not affecting the play either, 1 making their block and 2 making block and doing something special like a pancake or taking out 2 or 3 guys.

At times it was difficult to assign a grade. A few of those plays would be the screen pass to BSF the was almost picked. The OL job is to set up to block then let their guy go and get downfield on someone(except for the T who block their guy) Olson, Schmitz, Andries all did that, but never blocked anybody because of the great read by the DL. They were in a position to get to someone so I was debating whether to give them a 0 or 1, I went with a 0. Also, on running plays when we run something to the right and our LT pass sets the DE but doesn't have to touch him because he takes on outside rush, should he get a 0 or 1. I went with a 1 since he did his job.

Figuring out which OL were in the game was also not easy as we played with 5, 6, 7 and 8 OL/TE all throughout the game. It would also help if I had a coach clicker to reverse, slow mo and fast forward.

I got the first half done this morning and will work on the second half later today or tomorrow. Here are the grades I came up with and some comments on players and plays.

The running game: We ran the ball 22 times in the first half with good success, except when we went Wildcat with Potts and Ibrahim. Missed a couple chances to snap the ball early and catch OSU with 12 men on field. The one time was when Mo broke the long one on 4th down, so that can be forgiven, but getting 5 free yards would be nice once in awhile. Also on that play we could have been flagged for movement as Ko and Axel were both leaning about 1/2 second before the snap.
77 Blaise: 14 of 21 for 67%. He was in for all but 1 running play and had one negative block. He also was the one who played LT and RG on and off, so can't be easy making that switch from series to series or play to play.
64 Connor: 15 of 22 for 68%.
60 JM: 13 of 22 for 59%. He struggled against the bigger DL when he had to go at them by himself. Got driven into the backfield on a few occasions.
56 Curtis: 5 of 13 for 38%. Curtis struggled with getting off the ball and/or being physical at the point of attack. He was knocked back on a few occasions as well.
78 Daniel: 14 of 22 for 64%. At times he is just so dominant. Once he gets his hands on a guy they are pretty much done for the play. His problem is he doesn't always get to someone.
70 Sam: 10 of 22 for 45%. He played ok in the run game, just doesn't get great push sometimes and or doesn't lock on to a defender.
65 Axel: 6 of 8 for 75%
42 Ko: 14 of 17 for 82%. He played really well in the run game the first half. Had a couple of pancakes blocks where once he locked onto the guy there was no chance for the DL.
88 BSF: 0 of 11 for 0%. He had a rough first half. He's not physical at point of attack, especially when he is asked to pull and kick out. Fanned a couple times on that type of block and doesn't stay square when making contact allowing the defensive guy to slide off and make a play. Hell of a route runner and pass catcher though.
66 Nathan: 1 of 1 for 100% Was in on 1 play at goal line and we scored. Got off the ball well and made the block.

In looking at these numbers, I may be a little harsh with my grades as they seem low for some when we were able to run the ball efficiently. Some of that is because when a play is run to the right and the LT steps to the right to but off his guy but the DL doesn't follow so our OL doesn't block anyone, I gave them a 0. The other reason is because of Mo and his vision and power to run through tackles. On the 4th down run, all OL went to the right and the DL did as well, as Mo takes the hand off you can see his head turn immediately to the left to where the D vacated a space and the OL did a nice job of sealing off their man. He accelerates to the hole makes a cut in the hole and is off to the races. Not sure we have another back who can do something like that right now.

I also really liked the second TD on the short yardage run by Mo, but not the blocking scheme. On the play we lined up in a heavy formation with Ko and Axel in the backfield. Ko motioned to be offset to the right. The play was designed to go right with Ko kicking out and Axel leading up through the hole just off of Big Dan. On the snap all of our OL stepped right to reach and or cut off the DL to their right. Some of them got pushed back some due to the OSU DL getting under them. Big Dan mauled the guy head up on him, Ko kicked out the DE while Axel went through and got enough of the LB to give Mo enough room to score. I would have rather seen all the OL block down to the left on that play (Dan would have still blocked the same guy), Ko and Axel do the exact same thing they did it would have made it much easier for the other OL to not get pushed back. If you watch the reply of that they show a great overhead shot of the alignment and how the hole was created. We still scored on it, so can't complain too much.

The Passing game: These grades are even harsher, because on those quick pass plays, the OL sets up and doesn't touch someone prior to the pass being released or they pass set on air. In those cases I gave them a 0 since they didn't really do anything that impacted the play.
77 Blaise: 7 of 11 for 64%. One negative play
64 Connor: 9 of 13 for 69%. No negative plays.
60 JM: 11 of 13 for 85%. He has the easiest job on a pass play as he's either helping or getting help from the LG or RG.
56 Curtis: 4 of 5 for 80%. Curtis was much better in pass protection as his size helped in holding ground when DT bull rushed him
78 Daniel: 7 of 13 for 54%. Two negative plays where he allowed his man to get pressure
70 Sam: 7 of 13 for 54%. Three negative plays where he allowed his man to get pressure
65 Axel: 3 of 3 for 100% Axel played well in his spots. Don't think these grades mean he should be a starter, but he does add a different dimension that the defense has to make an adjustment to and figure out if they are going to stack the box to stop run and leave the CB 1 on 1 on the outside.
Ko 4 of 4 for 100%. Would like to see him involved in the pass game some as we move forward. He only once release on a pass route when he was in.

On the sack right before the half, OSU sent two LB's up the middle which left one free and Treyson didn't see and release to the the flat. Connor, JMS and Blaise did a great job on the play of picking up the two DT's and Connor then slide off to one LB. Sam didn't get a good pass set so Tanner started to move early and the unblocked LB was too fast for Tanner to look Potts way. Had he been able to look to his left and dump it off to Treyson it would have been a big gain and maybe even a TD as that whole side of the field was void of any players from either team.

I still don't understand why we didn't use our last TO with 4 seconds to go and throw a Hail Mary on 4th down. Had nothing to lose and we were right on the 50 yard line.

Will be looking at the second half sometime tomorrow hopefully and have my write up done after that.
Hey! Thanks for doing this! I too, enjoyed Rockford's breakdowns. Pleased you are doing this.

On the end of the half: I was shocked Ohio State didn't call a timeout and go all out to block the punt. I don't recall they were out of T.O.s? But failing that....ya, why not try to score a touchdown...worrying they are going to return it for a TD seems weak. Even a triple reverse or jet sweep or something somebody now spends time practicing against at the least.

Finished the second half this morning. Either I graded easier in the second half or we played extremely well up front (Curtis Dunlop being the exception).
Run game:
77 Blaise: 14 of 15 for 93%. He continued to move around from RG, to LT, to RT and no matter where he was he was able to handle the position. Would think his performance against OSU improved his draft stock considerably since he can play multiple positions.
64 Connor: 18 of 23 for 78%.
60 JMS: 20 of 23 for 87%.
56 Curtis: 7 of 20 for 35%. His play did not improve in the second half. He was all over the place as far as making a block, doing nothing or completely missing. When he did his job, he was damn good, but that didn't happen often enough. The rust still needs to be knocked off for him and I believe he will get back to his old form.
78 Daniel: 15 of 20 for 75%. He played very consistently all game. He's so hard for a DE to get around that sometimes he doesn't touch a soul on a run play but the DE still has no chance because he can't get around him quick enough. There was one play in the second half where he stepped down to double team stuck both arms out and knocked the guy a couple yards to Curtis had an easy block then when upfield, didn't look like he got much of the LB, but LB couldn't absorb the contact and ended up on his back.
70 Sam: 18 of 23 for 78%.
65 Axel: 3 of 4 for 75%
42 Ko: 14 of 18 for 82%. Had another good half of blocking. He really opens things up in the run game.
88 BSF: 6 of 9 for 67%. Had a much better second half. Really attacked the defender and did a much better job of staying square, making solid contact and running his feet through the contact.

Pass Game:
77 Blaise: 10 of 12 for 83%.
64 Connor: 17 of 19 for 89%.
60 JM: 14 of 19 for 74%.
56 Curtis: 7 of 14 for 50%. His struggles in the run game carried over to his pass protection as well. Seemed lost out there at times or was a step slow. Look to see more improvement from him as he gets more reps
78 Daniel: 14 of 14 for 100%.
70 Sam: 6 of 19 for 32%. Gave up the big strip sack and really had a hard time with the DE Harrison all half, whether he used speed or power moves. His lateral footwork is what gets him in trouble the most. That is why his run blocking grade is higher. He does really well when he can go get someone, but not so well when he has to move laterally to cut someone off.
42 Ko: 1 of 6 for 17%.
88 BSF: 6 of 6 for 100%.

All in all the OL played a good game against a very talented DL.

After Mo went down, we didn't run as much inside zone and instead used down blocking with a backside guard and TE pulling to kick out. Mo is such a good zone runner and can break a 1 on 1 tackle. The other backs just don't have both the power and vision to run that as much. Will be interesting to see how the offense evolves from here on out. With the OL we have I still think we will have great success in both the run and pass game.

The last thing I will say is the rotating in the OL seemed to work out well. Blaise is the key player in all of that as he is the one who is playing multiple spots. If Curtis continues to struggle, I would start to limit his time a little more, but it is too early for that right now. He needs game reps to get back to what he was before.

Top Bottom