OL 1st and 2nd Half Grades Updated

GFBfan

Reaction score
Didn't get to watch the game live, but was able to record and watch some of it today. Wasted part of my day watching the putrid Vikings choke away the game in the first half, but that's a whole other topic.

The OL played well in the first half both in the run game and pass game. There were a few times where the ol all did there job, but Potts wasn't decisive enough or made a wrong read/cut and it ended up being no gain or a loss.
In the run game here is what I came up with for all the OL
Andries: 89% on 18 plays
Olson: 76% on 21 plays
JMS: 86% on 21 plays
Dunlop: 64% on 14 plays
Faalele: 74% on 19 plays
Schlueter: 62% on 21 plays
Ruschmeyer: 100% on 5 plays
Kieft: 76% on 17 plays
BSF: 17 % on 6 plays
Boe: 100% on 1 play

Miami really sold out to stop the run, especially when we were in our heavy sets. We at times didn't have enough guys to block all of theirs.
Here is video from the endzone feed of a goaline play in which we run a stretch play to the week side. the OL does good job of getting one someone and creating some creases. Trey initially does a nice job of stretching the field but then misses the gap inside of Daniel, hesitates and then is brought down for a loss of 2. Mo cuts that up and either scores or at least gains a couple yards. Trey will get better at this type of run with more reps.

Pass Game
Andries: 93% on 14 plays
Olson: 93% on 14 plays
JMS: 50% on 14 plays: Misleading grade here as there were times when he had nobody to block. He looked around to help but there was nobody who needed it.
Dunlop: 86% on 7 plays Played much better this half than vs. OSU. Also played less, but he got better this week which is a good sign.
Faalele: 80% on 10 plays
Schlueter: 92% on 13 plays
Ruschmeyer: 0% on 1 play
Kieft: 100% on 4 plays.
BSF: 100% on 1 plays

Will look to work on the second half tomorrow and Tuesday. Don't think that will be as pretty as this half though and I am also interested in seeing what the hell went wrong.

Lots of rushing yards left on the field.

The 2nd and two play to Williams killed a drive. It was there.

The multiple OL combinations continues through Game 2. I wonder if this goes most of the season or if this is entirely about keeping the primary starters fresh through 12 games. The jumbo sets is one thing, but there were plenty of plays where they simply used 5 OL that were different than the primary starting five. I have to blame at least a little bit of the 3rd quarter struggles on that a little bit.

A win is a win, I'll save the despair for when they lose a game they shouldn't lose.

Here is video from the endzone feed of a goaline play in which we run a stretch play to the week side. the OL does good job of getting one someone and creating some creases. Trey initially does a nice job of stretching the field but then misses the gap inside of Daniel, hesitates and then is brought down for a loss of 2. Mo cuts that up and either scores or at least gains a couple yards. Trey will get better at this type of run with more reps.

Nice analysis. I hope that you are right about Trey, because right now we are not the same offensive team as we were when Mo was in there.

The multiple OL combinations continues through Game 2. I wonder if this goes most of the season or if this is entirely about keeping the primary starters fresh through 12 games. The jumbo sets is one thing, but there were plenty of plays where they simply used 5 OL that were different than the primary starting five. I have to blame at least a little bit of the 3rd quarter struggles on that a little bit.

A win is a win, I'll save the despair for when they lose a game they shouldn't lose.
I think this is a good question. I wonder if perhaps they have been concerned about the altitude game this week as well. If we are going to succeed the way that we want to play--run the ball, grind the clock--it's asking a lot of five core lineman to be on the field for most of the game where it's going to be 85 degrees+ and they are playing a mile above sea level.

My guess is that by the time we get back to conference play we may see them settle on a more stable group, while still working the others in from time to time.

Thank you for doing this. I might have been one of those guys that moved from my cheap seats behind the Gopher bench on Saturday. I noticed Dunlop seems to be really struggling to move well. wondering if he is playing a little heavier than he should be?

I had that same thought on that play during the game.

I think it's a mixture of keeping starters fresh AND getting the "non-starter" contributors an abundant amount of playing time in case we lose a decent amount of the OL to graduation and the NFL.

Great work! Super interesting, just enough analysis/commentary, and that video clip was a spectacular addition! Keep rowing!

In the run game here are the second half ratings. Some of it is a little misleading with the low % as M-OH was slanting and twisting on the DL which made for some run plays when certain OL didn't have to block anyone.
When we needed to have drives, the OL stepped up and dominated on those series. When the game wasn't close to start the 2nd half our play calling was not good resulting in 3 and outs too often. No fault of the OL. Just a weird half of football from a play calling standpoint
Andries: 45% on 11 plays - Only had one negative play of the 11. Not sure why he wasn't on the field more. He has the most difficult job on the OL as he switches from LT, to RG to LT, sometimes within a series. The footwork, stance and movement is a little different, but he does well with that switching.
Olson: 90% on 21 plays
JMS: 81% on 21 plays
Dunlop: 74% on 19 plays He played much better in this game. Still had a few moments where he was lost or missed something, but much improved from last week
Faalele: 59% on 17 plays - Only on negative play and on some where he really doesn't do much blocking he is still affective because the DL or LB has to take the long way around him to get anywhere taking that defender out of the play even though Daniel doesn't touch them.
Schlueter: 75% on 20 plays He lines up at LT most often and does some as a TE outside of either Andries or Faalele. Really good when down blocking.
Ruschmeyer: 33% on 3 plays
Kieft: 78% on 18 plays
BSF: 100 % on 1 plays

Passing Game: We only attempted 7 passes in the entire half. Twice we went three and out with passing all all three plays. OL had some problems at times with M-OH twisting DT and DE while sending a LB either inside or outside. It caused low grades for the OT because they wouldn't have a guy to block as the DE would crash down on the Guard while the DT would loop behind that and either try to go right behind the DE crashing or loop out and around our OT and by the time they got to that point the pass was away so I'd give the OT a 0 grade. A couple times their DE would crash hard, our G wouldn't see it soon enough and get knocked inside or down to the ground.
Andries: 50% on 4 plays
Olson: 86% on 7 plays
JMS: 71% on 7 plays
Dunlop: 40% on 5 plays
Faalele: 50% on 6 plays
Schlueter: 57% on 7 plays
Kieft: 50% on 2 plays

In my first half grading I showed a video clip of a stretch play in which the OL did well but Trey didn't run/read it correctly. We ran a similar play in the 2nd half and Trey did a much better job of reading it and being decisive which resulted in a big gain. The TV feed gave the endzone shot of it as well so here it is. Trey has some explosiveness and speed that Mo didn't, but right now he lacks the vision and power. The vision part will come with more reps.

Trey has some explosiveness and speed that Mo didn't, but right now he lacks the vision and power. The vision part will come with more reps.

Last edited:

Top Bottom