Okuyemi lists top 4

GopherGod

Reaction score
Here is an interview that I found that Tobi Okuyemi gave to Rick Shaw of HuskerIllustrated.

It's been a rough couple of weeks for Tobi Okuyemi. A recent virus has left the 6-foot-3, 225-pound defensive end out of Plymouth (Minn.) Wayzata a bit tired and out of sorts. He's resting up though and looking forward to his senior season on the football field and taking some college visits
"I've had a bout of 'mono' lately and have been laying around a lot," Okuyemi said. "I've been tired. That may keep me out of some summer camps in June. I'm not supposed to have any physical contact for a few weeks."

"I'm still trying to nail down my visits and stuff for the fall. I'm planning to take all of my officials. I just don't know if I'll take officials or unofficials to some of the closer schools like Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. I'll get that all figured out soon."

With offers on the table from Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nebraska, Vanderbilt and Wisconsin, Okuyemi already boasts a number of BCS college options. Rated the No. 35 weakside defensive end in the country by Rivals (three-stars), he said he really likes the schools he saw over the course of the spring.

"The schools I visited during the spring are highest on my list right now," Okuyemi said. "I went to Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska and liked all of them quite a bit. I'd still like to get down and see Vanderbilt and Kentucky at some point - maybe later this summer."

"There were a lot of schools that came by my high school in May. Michigan State, Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Nebraska all were by. There were more - so many I can't remember."

One school that made more than one stop to his school over the course of the last couple of months was Nebraska.

"Coach (Barney) Cotton came by the school a couple of times," Okuyemi said. "Actually, I just got to talk to him on the phone a couple of days ago. He's a good coach. I like how we're able to talk. I feel really comfortable. I can definitely see myself playing for him."

"I was at their spring game in April. They had a full stadium - the amount of fans they had fans there was crazy. The way the team played, the facilities and the coaches were great. They are definitely a school I'm still looking hard at."

Okuyemi said that his hope is that, after his fall official visits, he'll have a much better idea as to which place he'd be happiest for the next few years.

"I have a great relationship with all of the coaches I talk to," Okuyemi said. "It's really going to come down to where I feel the most comfortable. What is the best fit for me? I want to be sure I go to a place where I know I'll enjoy the next four to five years of my life."

The standout out of Minnesota recorded 58 tackles, 17 tackles for losses and nine sacks as a junior in 2008.

Additional quotes from Okuyemi

Iowa - "They have a good family feeling down there. They have a nice environment."

Wisconsin - "I just loved the campus and the energy and intensity of the practices. They look like they're having lots of fun out there."

Minnesota - "I went to a spring practice and all of the players there seem to be really excited about the new coaching staff."

Top Bottom