Okay, I know 100m times don't make a football player...

EE_Gopher

Reaction score
But I am still amazed what these kids can do on the track. Note that these are their junior year times.

100m pr's
Drew Wolitarsky -- 11.05
Berkley Edwards -- 10.89
Jalen Myrick -- 10.61

Devin Crawford-Tufts had a junior best of 10.75.

Devondre Campbell ran an 11.09 as a senior and was among the best in the entire state of Florida in the 200m he was competitive with Sammy Watkins to give people a sense of his track speed.

But I am still amazed what these kids can do on the track. Note that these are their junior year times.

100m pr's
Drew Wolitarsky -- 11.05
Berkley Edwards -- 10.89
Jalen Myrick -- 10.61

Devin Crawford-Tufts had a junior best of 10.75.

^ This.

I like Edwards times in the 60...more though
With the exception of Wolitarsky (11.05 is very average--to low average for a D-1 receiver) The times are very good.

The reason anything over 100 yards or meters doesn't matter is that is as far as you can run on a football field And even running 100 yards only benefit is that it will only build a players cardio. Football is an anarobic sport. It is played in 10 and 20 yard bursts followed by 15-20 second rest. Anarobic is muscle exersion without oxygen. Its a quick twitch muscle sport. That's why I keep asking what is best 10 yard time at the U? Now a football player needs to stop, start, cut and that is the essence of the cone drill. Again no posting on the best cone drill time. Anarobic training attempts to extend the threshold and boost the recovery time, that helps develop quick twitch muscles. Those who are able to recover quicker and or have a higher threshold will be better "conditiioned". The signs of players bent over gasping for air, hands on hips panting, cramping. The quick twitch athlete is explosive and quick. He recovers quickly. His conditioning allows him to dominate late in a game. I would think intervall training 10, 20, 40. with 25 second rest between each would be another time I would like to see. The true high school athelete I would like to see is his 60 meter hurdle time.

Kill keeps bringing up team speed and making this team as fast as possible.....well he's sure adding it each season. Maybe one day we can be Oregon fast.

With the exception of Wolitarsky (11.05 is very average--to low average for a D-1 receiver) The times are very good.

Wolitarsky's time is very good for a big bodied receiver. I don't know for sure but just from observation ... Decker never looked that fast. However, he was very skilled at positioning his body coming down with most anything that comes his way. My hope is that Wolitarsky is the same type receiver with just a bit more speed. We can all hope.

Wolitarsky's time is very good for a big bodied receiver. I don't know for sure but just from observation ... Decker never looked that fast. However, he was very skilled at positioning his body coming down with most anything that comes his way. My hope is that Wolitarsky is the same type receiver with just a bit more speed. We can all hope.

Just because Decker is white, that does not make him a slow, possession receiver uses his body well. Yes, he uses his body well, but he ran a 4.45 at the combine. He also was running away from NFL defensive backs last year on a number of this touchdowns. He is not a slow receiver.

Just because Decker is white, that does not make him a slow, possession receiver uses his body well. Yes, he uses his body well, but he ran a 4.45 at the combine. He also was running away from NFL defensive backs last year on a number of this touchdowns. He is not a slow receiver.

Wasn't Decker hurt and couldn't participate in the combine? My memory could be way off, but I thought that was the case. In any event, he was definitely a 4.5 guy, and yeah, had pretty good speed. People do really let the perception slant reality. Wasn't a breakaway guy by any means, so his 100 wouldn't probably be all that impressive, but you don't need to run 100m on 99% of football plays lol.

11.05 for a 6'3'' 200+ lb kid is really solid speed. Especially a junior.

Since it is track season in MN now, I'll give a bit of a perspective post.

Fastest ever in MN HS track history was 10.45,
DCT ran a 10.4 unofficial his junior year, he was expected to break the record but pulled up with a hammy injury late his senior track season.
Other MN HS times of note to compare:
Zach Vraa 11.3
James Farrow 11.3
Fritz Rock 11.24
Nick Rengel 11.37
Kyle Henderson 11.1
John Shevlin 11.14sr 10.75 jr
Larry Fitzgerald jr. 11.2
Mike Lehan 10.99

Again, not always comparable to football change of direction/skills/savvy, but those 100 times are really good for proven football players like Myrick, Woltarsky, and Edwards.

11.05 for a 6'3'' 200+ lb kid is really solid speed. Especially a junior.

Since it is track season in MN now, I'll give a bit of a perspective post.

Fastest ever in MN HS track history was 10.45,
DCT ran a 10.4 unofficial his junior year, he was expected to break the record but pulled up with a hammy injury late his senior track season.
Other MN HS times of note to compare:
Zach Vraa 11.3
James Farrow 11.3
Fritz Rock 11.24
Nick Rengel 11.37
Kyle Henderson 11.1
John Shevlin 11.14sr 10.75 jr
Larry Fitzgerald jr. 11.2
Mike Lehan 10.99

Again, not always comparable to football change of direction/skills/savvy, but those 100 times are really good for proven football players like Myrick, Woltarsky, and Edwards.

True, but it's also important to remember that MN (and other Upper Midwest) HS kids are slow compared to the sun belt schools. MN doesn't produce very many high major skill position players, and this is one of the reasons. There's fast and then there's Minnesota fast. Wolitarsky and Edwards' times are Minnesota fast, but they're extremely average by the standards of an incoming Division I skill position player. I'll give Myrick credit, though - that's a fast time for a guy who didn't have many offers and he could be a major steal if that speed translates to the field.

True, but it's also important to remember that MN (and other Upper Midwest) HS kids are slow compared to the sun belt schools. MN doesn't produce very many high major skill position players, and this is one of the reasons. There's fast and then there's Minnesota fast. Wolitarsky and Edwards' times are Minnesota fast, but they're extremely average by the standards of an incoming Division I skill position player. I'll give Myrick credit, though - that's a fast time for a guy who didn't have many offers and he could be a major steal if that speed translates to the field.

Yeah, I was more giving examples locals could gauge with.
Myrick is impressive, we'll see how he does this spring, could be a 10.4 type.

Decker has looked faster in the NFL than he ever did in college. He got caught from behind a few times in college. Don't know if it was injuries or what but in the NFL he's run away from folks

Decker has looked faster in the NFL than he ever did in college. He got caught from behind a few times in college. Don't know if it was injuries or what but in the NFL he's run away from folks
r-ERIC-DECKER-large570.jpg Well, except for the time the "Turf Monster" got him.

http://www.kfan.com/pages/gophers.html?article=11021834

MN kid sets some high marks with his leaps and also posts a 4.19 40. Hand timed at pro day.

Sinkfield is the perfect example of why these times are interesting, but not indicative of much.
Sinkfield's 100 times in HS were over 11.00 on average, he was able to peak at a 10.89 his junior year.
Obviously he's better in the 0-40 phase of the run, which would translate to football.
However, he did nothing against FCS level talent to make you think he has such a vast speed advantage.

Top Bottom