OK Students....

jamiche

Reaction score
I've been reading the gripes for years about the older fans not cheering loud enough and not getting off of their butts. How about you guys staying in your seats when Tubby's name gets called during the intros. The silent treatment certainly isn't appropriate. Booing is wrong. Respectful, warm applause feels about right. Chanting the name and bowing to someone who, over a five and a half year period, hasn't achieved mediocrity in the games that matter seems kind of ridiculous, doesn't it?

Somebody alluded to this in a post a day or two ago but I think it's worth a topic.

Morale of the story; don't bow to a BB coach and don't build a statue of a FB coach...................the fall won't be so hard.

Came in to this thread to agree with your take for once, thinking this would be a "come on students, show 'em what you're made of, come out as loud as ever and support the team when they really need it!" type post. Instead...this.

Bowing / chanting Tubby's name is fun for students and adds excitement. What part of that is negative? Sure, I wish we had performed (significantly) better in years 1-5.5, but from my past experience in the student section I'd say any coordinated chant / cheer is a positive.

Students: Now's the time to stick by the players, coach and program. Cheer as loud as ever tonight. Let's start a winning streak.

Like any of that would change anything. The students do it for fun, lighten up a bit. Some of you guys take *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# way too seriously.

I think we all agree that Tubby has not been perfect during his tenure here, but to start a thread asking fans ( the student section no less ) to stop cheering for the team or coach? - that's a whole knew level of troll ish behavior. Congrats.

Yea, that's the answer. Tell our students not to support the coach. That's what you're basically telling them, no matter how you're trying to finesse your words. If you want to do that, go ahead, but there's no need to ask others to do it.

Waaaahhh, I hate Tubby, he should've been fired years ago, I'm going to start yet another thread about it, waaaahhhh.....

Came in to this thread to agree with your take for once, thinking this would be a "come on students, show 'em what you're made of, come out as loud as ever and support the team when they really need it!" type post. Instead...this.

Bowing / chanting Tubby's name is fun for students and adds excitement. What part of that is negative? Sure, I wish we had performed (significantly) better in years 1-5.5, but from my past experience in the student section I'd say any coordinated chant / cheer is a positive.

Students: Now's the time to stick by the players, coach and program. Cheer as loud as ever tonight. Let's start a winning streak.

+1

Deciding as a section not to do the whole bowing down thing would just kind of compound the negative vibes. Three of our four straight losses have been on the road, hopefully a win with a raucous home crowd behind them will snap the team out of their funk and get us headed back in the right direction.

I agree. However, I would change from yelling Tubby, Tubby, Tubby and just for tonight, in the name of psyche- yell Rodney, Rodney, Rodney.

Yea, that's the answer. Tell our students not to support the coach. That's what you're basically telling them, no matter how you're trying to finesse your words. If you want to do that, go ahead, but there's no need to ask others to do it.

+1000

When Tubby wins a tournament game I'll bow to him. Or 10.

It's a disgrace to sit in a section where a 6-12 coach gets bowed down to.

Cheer and have fun because it reflects more about who you are and what you stand for as a person than who you're cheering for. I'm going to cheer loudly.

I'm as ticked at Tubby for his record so far and the team's present skid as anybody. Furthermore, I think we are at a point where it is not inappropriate for people who share that frustration to vent them when they see Tubby at the game. But instructing college students to boo their own coach and criticize them for cheering is pretty low.

I didn't say not to support him. I said that he hasn't exactly earned genuflections.

Go crazy for the players. They are the ones who need it and have earned it.

I'm as ticked at Tubby for his record so far and the team's present skid as anybody. Furthermore, I think we are at a point where it is not inappropriate for people who share that frustration to vent them when they see Tubby at the game. But instructing college students to boo their own coach and criticize them for cheering is pretty low.

Reread my post. I specifically said not to boo. I said that he should be warmly applauded but genuflections seem kind of silly for someone who gets it right less than half the time in games that matter.

Reread my post. I specifically said not to boo. I said that he should be warmly applauded but genuflections seem kind of silly for someone who gets it right less than half the time in games that matter.

You're right. I got lost in some of the responses, you did indeed specifically say not to boo. I still think that criticizing their enthusiasm and support for who the coach currently is (for better or worse) is counterproductive.

Well after all he is the only coach in Gopher's history to appear (legitimately) in back-to-back NCAA tourney's. Maybe that's why their cheering "Tubby, Tubby...

Well after all he is the only coach in Gopher's history to appear (legitimately) in back-to-back NCAA tourney's. Maybe that's why their cheering "Tubby, Tubby...

Wrong. Haskins did in 1988-1989 and 1989-1990 and won 4 NCAA games in that span. There was nothing tainted about those teams.

The NCAA penalties were bad enough, don't make it worse.

I've always thought the chanting was good, but the bowing is pretty stupid. The guy is a basketball coach, not a god. But then again why the hell should we care? If the students want to do it, then let them do it. There's no need to criticize the student section for having some fun.

yes criticize the students for having a pulse brilliant. Me thinks the football fans should take notes, now they're a sorry student section

yes criticize the students for having a pulse brilliant. Me thinks the football fans should take notes, now they're a sorry student section

You realize that the majority of both sections are the same students right?

I've been reading the gripes for years about the older fans not cheering loud enough and not getting off of their butts. How about you guys staying in your seats when Tubby's name gets called during the intros. The silent treatment certainly isn't appropriate. Booing is wrong. Respectful, warm applause feels about right. Chanting the name and bowing to someone who, over a five and a half year period, hasn't achieved mediocrity in the games that matter seems kind of ridiculous, doesn't it?

Somebody alluded to this in a post a day or two ago but I think it's worth a topic.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Top Bottom