Ok, I have to admit that Zags are a good team

alchemy2u

Reaction score
I know that I took a lot of heat saying that Gonzaga was historically overrated. I have to fess up and admit that they look to be a good team this year. Oh, and What's His Name is collecting a lot of slivers in his arse from the good seats since they have started playing the good teams.

Sorry wrong board. Can moderators move it to BB.

The player who shall not be named is averaging 18 minutes, 5 points a game 2.3 assists and 2.3 turnovers while shooting 8% from 3 point land. The fans would be screaming for IW to replace him. :)

how come losing Monson didnt set them back like when we lost Holtz? they should still be crying that the Monson exit has cost them 20 yrs of good teams.

They also did all of this without their second or third best player, Killian Tillie. Best shooter in the team and he is 6-11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of every team that beats Duke.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

seriously, our hiring away Monson should have killed their program.

Your comparison of building a consistently successful basketball program in the West Coast Conference vs. trying to climb the hierarchy of powerhouse football programs in the Big Ten is delusional. The Gophers under Holtz had one winning season surrounded by many bad ones. Gonzaga had a historic run to the Elite 8 in 1999, which gained their program national attention. They also had a transcendental player in Adam Morrison in a sport where one amazing player can greatly impact a team's trajectory. After that run with Morrison, Gonzaga became a very popular option for great players all over the West.

how come losing Monson didnt set them back like when we lost Holtz? they should still be crying that the Monson exit has cost them 20 yrs of good teams.

It's a very good question, and their fans' typical response (that Few was really the key figure in Monson's success) is laughable.

The answer's probably that sustaining success in the WCC after you've already had some success is a different world than in a major conference, so they were still getting better players than their competitors after Monson left. Which allowed them to keep slowly building. Success follows success, etc.

Gonzaga indeed might be better than I thought. That Huchimara guy is good. That said, Geno's basketball future probably would have been better served coming here and starting at PG for a Gopher team that (with him) would at least be an NCAA team, as opposed to wasting away most of the year on Gonzaga's bench, playing 15-20 minutes a game tops and often less than that. His position in the pros (Europe) will be at PG and he would've had a lot better opportunity to develop those skills here this year. Would have sucked, in retrospect, though, for us to lose Stockman.

Gonzaga indeed might be better than I thought. That Huchimara guy is good. That said, Geno's basketball future probably would have been better served coming here and starting at PG for a Gopher team that (with him) would at least be an NCAA team, as opposed to wasting away most of the year on Gonzaga's bench, playing 15-20 minutes a game tops and often less than that. His position in the pros (Europe) will be at PG and he would've had a lot better opportunity to develop those skills here this year. Would have sucked, in retrospect, though, for us to lose Stockman.

Excellent point.

Watching the Duke and Zags game really clarifies how far away from the top Mn really is.

Watching the Duke and Zags game really clarifies how far away from the top Mn really is.

In any one year you could say the same thing for 96% of all other D1 basketball teams each year when compared to the top 5 teams. Every fan, every coach is hoping for that 1-2 special players that carries the team into the top 10 and gives the team a shot at the Cinderella story.

ever since their cinderella 2000 final four run they have been similar to gonzaga

One thing that has really put Gonzaga on the map is their success with finding different ways to get talent specifically by being really active in the foreign talent market before many schools started recruiting heavily overseas. Their assistant coach Tommy Lloyd is one of the best in the business st recruiting overseas.

Rony Turiaf
Kelly Olynyk
Kevin Pangos
Karnowski
Domantas Sabonis
Rui Hachimura
Killian Tillie

Just some of the great foreign guys they’ve landed. For 2019 they have 4 top 50 players signed per 247 with them being from Russia, Lithuania, Spokane, & Texas and are the likely landing spot for Oumar Ballo who will be a top 50 kid from Mali too.

Crandall has been really up & down so far. Think he’d play more minutes elsewhere but he’s also only been at Gonzaga for about a month so part of his struggles/lack of playing time is due to lack of being super comfortable in their system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Mark Few is a hall of fame coach, he's built a legacy like coach k izzo ryan and self.

Don't forget Gonzaga beat Duke without Tillie imagine how much better they'll be when he returns.

I find it hard to believe that whatever monson built in Gonzaga he couldn’t do it here. Monson was part of the history that built Gonzaga then he comes here and what? Is unable to create anything? Maybe the football board is right - the regents muck up everything and keep success away from the u.

Big ten looks good this year.Wisconsin,Michigan st Michigan, iowa looked good and indiana could be good

I find it hard to believe that whatever monson built in Gonzaga he couldn’t do it here. Monson was part of the history that built Gonzaga then he comes here and what? Is unable to create anything? Maybe the football board is right - the regents muck up everything and keep success away from the u.

Monson was the head coach at Gonzaga but obviously Few was the difference maker. He happened to have the title of assistant coach at that time. It should be obvious he was the reason for their success and not Monson.
Monson was mediocre at Minnesota and has been at Long Beach as well.

Monson was the head coach at Gonzaga but obviously Few was the difference maker. He happened to have the title of assistant coach at that time. It should be obvious he was the reason for their success and not Monson.
Monson was mediocre at Minnesota and has been at Long Beach as well.

So we could have hired Few? f4ck. do we have to suck forever? Bo Ryan came from Platteville Wi...where the f is our Platteville guy?

I bet Minnesota fans wished they had Gonzaga's,Wisconsin's and Michigan state's success over the past 20 years.I was reading for the ncaa tournament streak for KU its been williams and Self for Duke's streak is coach k for Michigan st is izzo for Gonzaga mostly Few and Wisconsin mostly Ryan

Top Bottom