Ok Built, you are right. We need a new coach!

Yup.

Sad state of affairs. I didnt think this program could get lower than when Monson's tenure began and ended.

I was so very wrong.

DO your job Marky. Be a leader. Show MN that you mean business on the BB court. Tomorrow.

Yup.

Sad state of affairs. I didnt think this program could get lower than when Monson's tenure began and ended.

I was so very wrong.

DO your job Marky. Be a leader. Show MN that you mean business on the BB court. Tomorrow.
I agree that he should act on it before he wins some pointless games in the B1G and give him a chance to save his job. He hopefully can find the money to make it happen sooner than later, otherwise it will only get worse.

I have been one of the most diehard Pitino backers. After watching them lose to NW at home. Throwing up nothing but 3‘s in the whole second half and not making any of them...

WTF.....

I have thrown in the towel on Pitino!
Stay strong Alchemy. You are a true fan and supporter. I saw some hope in Pitino like you did when many quit. He didn’t capitalize and grow enough to deserve to keep a B1G job.

We now have a bundle $$$ from eliminating tennis and track. Let’s invest big time on a quality basketball coach. Ski-uh-mah

We now have a bundle $$$ from eliminating tennis and track. Let’s invest big time on a quality basketball coach. Ski-uh-mah
I think that bundle of $$$ is smaller than you think.

The U athletic department are penny pinchers with not much to spare. Donor support is crap. And here's a milly+ that they'll have to find.

I agree that he should act on it before he wins some pointless games in the B1G and give him a chance to save his job. He hopefully can find the money to make it happen sooner than later, otherwise it will only get worse.
If they don't have the $ then what? Drag it out for a year and how much does buyout go down? Not much. Not enough to cover the Barn being a morgue next year.

The U athletic department are penny pinchers with not much to spare. Donor support is crap. And here's a milly+ that they'll have to find.
Maybe Kenny Novak from Hopkins?🤔

Do what you have to do. Even if you only care about $, kicking the can will not save $ in the long run.

If they don't have the $ then what? Drag it out for a year and how much does buyout go down? Not much. Not enough to cover the Barn being a morgue next year.
I hear you and agree, but I don’t see the actual numbers.

I don't need exact #'s to know that 4,000 lost attendance/game costs more than $1.75 million. A lot more.

no way to know what attendance looks like next year. No way to know what impact Pitino has on those numbers. You know this. But you keep spouting the numbers.

no way to know what attendance looks like next year. No way to know what impact Pitino has on those numbers. You know this. But you keep spouting the numbers.
Covid complicates it, but there's no way bringing back Pitino doesn't cost at least a couple thousand season tickets versus a new coach. They would have been lucky to have the Barn half full tonight.

Reactions: MRJ

Covid complicates it, but there's no way bringing back Pitino doesn't cost at least a couple thousand season tickets versus a new coach. They would have been lucky to have the Barn half full tonight.

I don’t think25%+ of STHers don’t renew because of Pitino. That seems absurdly high.Lots of those fans have sat through worse than this.

I don't need exact #'s to know that 4,000 lost attendance/game costs more than $1.75 million. A lot more.

Not an argument against doing it, but hiring Smith/Medved won't send season ticket holders back to the barn in droves. Only winning will do that. Also very hard to know how being away for a year due to COVID will impact sales. I think it will be pretty depressing either way.

This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend
The end of our elaborate plans
The end of ev'rything that stands
The end
No safety or surprise
The end
I'll never look into your eyes again.

I don’t think25%+ of STHers don’t renew because of Pitino. That seems absurdly high.Lots of those fans have sat through worse than this.
Single game tickets would drop too. The Gophers averaged 10,232/game in 2019-20. They will be lucky to get back to that even with a new coach, IMO. The habit is broken.

Single game tickets would drop too. The Gophers averaged 10,232/game in 2019-20. They will be lucky to get back to that even with a new coach, IMO. The habit is broken.

I agree. Which is why saying bringing back Pitino costs them X Fans is an insane statement to make. Glad we are on the same page.

Not an argument against doing it, but hiring Smith/Medved won't send season ticket holders back to the barn in droves. Only winning will do that. Also very hard to know how being away for a year due to COVID will impact sales. I think it will be pretty depressing either way.
Whoever it is, he's going to have to go full PR... and that should be expected. If you're not a "name," make a name for yourself. Like him or not, people knew who Fleck was before his team had played a game. Retaining season ticket holders is as much of the job as retaining players on the roster.

i was a pitino defender, but I was ready to move last year and I feel covid ended (EDIT: SAVED) his job

I'll also be patient with the next coach as I don't expect an immediate turnaround.

Changing coaches every 3-4 years doesn't work, but I also realize you can't stay with a guy just for continuity.

Pitino has coached gophers 8 years, 5 of those gophers will have finished 11th or lower in the B1G

time to change

Last edited:

Hiring someone based on his father’s resume’ may have been a mistake.
Kind of like having a receptionist prescribing level 1 controlled narcotics in the Psych department....

i was a pitino defender, but I was ready to move last year and I feel covid ended his job

I'll also be patient with the next coach as I don't expect an immediate turnaround.

Changing coaches every 3-4 years doesn't work, but I also realize you can't stay with a guy just for continuity.

Pitino has coached gophers 8 years, 5 of those gophers will have finished 11th or lower in the B1G

time to change
That is stark. I will have to look up if any other coach dug deep and was able to finish 11 or lower five of last eight. Stevie Wonder could see that's a problem.

I have been one of the most diehard Pitino backers. After watching them lose to NW at home. Throwing up nothing but 3‘s in the whole second half and not making any of them...

WTF.....

I have thrown in the towel on Pitino!

We all remember the day when we had to stand up and say, "Hello, my name is WoodburyTim and I have a problem." But if you keep coming to the meetings and do the steps, you realize that a Pitino free life is possible.

Retaining season ticket holders is as much of the job as retaining players on the roster.

A much harder job actually. The way the transfer market is today you can always pick up transfers to fill out the roster.

Anyone who watched last night's game would think that the cost of firing Pitino is an excellent investment opportunity for the University.

And yes, I have an MBA in Finance from the Carlson School.

Anyone who watched last night's game would think that the cost of firing Pitino is an excellent investment opportunity for the University.

And yes, I have an MBA in Finance from the Carlson School.

I have an MBA in marketing from the Carlson School, and selling this program with Pitino still at the helm next year wouldn't be possible even with Steve Jobs, Bill Veeck and PT Barnum doing it with every ounce of their legendary marketing intuition and skills.

Top Bottom