ohio

Sotakid

Reaction score
it doesnt seem like we recruit that state as much in as in the past. i know mason had ties there and maybe brewster doesnt but they have some great recruits coming out of there and i would like to see us start getting after some of the athletes that come out of the state of ohio. could someone fill me in on why we arent hitting that state a little harder

Problem is you will always get OSU and Michigan left overs in that state.

dlw, we could say the same thing about Texas, but we've gone in there and gotten some very good kids that could have gone to some of the better Texas schools, the same with Missouri, Florida, etc. We have a new level of recruiter and have gone toe to toe with some of the top programs and won, and not to mention we can just ask the Michigan recruits if they're interested in actually playing in bowl games or not!!

Go Gophers!!

Problem is you will always get OSU and Michigan left overs in that state.

You're right, dlw4. Mason always used to get a couple of recruits from Columbus and call it a coup - but how many kids are going to turn down osu to go to mn? One in ten might want to get out of the state, but not many - and how the heck are you going to beat osu with osu's rejects?

it doesnt seem like we recruit that state as much in as in the past. i know mason had ties there and maybe brewster doesnt but they have some great recruits coming out of there and i would like to see us start getting after some of the athletes that come out of the state of ohio. could someone fill me in on why we arent hitting that state a little harder

Every coaching staff has a few regions they focus on because of contacts, past success, etc. Mason's was Ohio but he got almost nothing out of Texas or Florida- the critical states for recruiting. Brewster does not have as many contacts in Ohio but he does WAY better in those bread and butter states of TX and FL... and CA for that matter.

Didn't you get the Memo?

Didn't you get the Memo? Ohio players are slow and can't compete with the other conferences. :)

The talant level in Ohio vs Texas is "night vs day" Go into the recruiting data bases and look at the number of kids from Texas that play D1 in that state. That's why Brew recruits Texas and in much the same scenerio Florida. In Ohio you have the Bucko's, Wolves, Penn State, and now Cincy that gobble up the cream of the crop. We got lucky on a couple of kids in the Mason era ( Russall and Wheelright) because of grade issues, but by in large the only 4****/5***** recruits in the past 25 years out of Ohio have been: Alex Daniels, Scott Schaffner, and Roselle Richardson

yes i understand that ruppert but if brew is as good as i think he is and wants to be it doesnt matter who is recruiting there. he wants to go against the best and since they are in the midwest why not go for it. i see iowa has some decent talent in next years class like that RB that goes to the same HS as keenan davis. btw - why didn't we go after him?

yes i understand that ruppert but if brew is as good as i think he is and wants to be it doesnt matter who is recruiting there. he wants to go against the best and since they are in the midwest why not go for it. i see iowa has some decent talent in next years class like that RB that goes to the same HS as keenan davis. btw - why didn't we go after him?

We are going after kids in Ohio but it's much different than the way the last coaching staff went after them. It comes back to Brewster coaching at Texas and having a good relationship with the Texas HS coaches and Mason playing and coaching at Ohio State and having good relationships with the Ohio HS coaches. HS coaches are a gate keeper for HS athletes and when a head coach has a relationship with HS coaches the HS coaches give call the college coaches about their players and they speak highly of your staff when they communicate with the HS players.

We offered RB Bud Golden and OT Marcus Hill from Cincy and we are going after CB Mike Edwards from Cleveland Glenville HS where Ted Ginn, Sr. is the head coach. There is a long established pipeline from Glenville to OSU so the only way we are going to get a recruit from there is if OSU passes on him or somehow screws up the recruitment process. It's like this at other places too so in many cases the Gophers may just want to be the alternative program of choice in case a player gets passed over by the big dog or just wants to leave town. I think this is pretty much what the Gophers are trying to do at Dallas Skyline but at best we probably fall behind Texas and Oklahoma.

It would be nice if we had a coach with stronger ties to Ohio to try to pull in more recruits from there but Ohio is a very well scouted area by all of the Big Ten schools. I personally think it is easier to differentiate yourself in Texas as a Big Ten School in a big city when the athletes are being recruited by other schools in other conferences in college towns. We could probably do a better job recruting in Florida and California too the net your staff casts can only be so wide before you become less effective.

We could probably do a better job recruting in Florida and California too the net your staff casts can only be so wide before you become less effective.

I think you can write off California high schools for now. Just too much competition out there now. There are many more strong recruiting programs out west these days. Brewster needs to focus on the CA JUCO's because that is where the surplus talent is in CA.

You can only recruit so many kids and in so many places. Brewster and his staff hop around the country pretty well compared to many other big10 schools.

We are going after kids in Ohio but it's much different than the way the last coaching staff went after them. It comes back to Brewster coaching at Texas and having a good relationship with the Texas HS coaches and Mason playing and coaching at Ohio State and having good relationships with the Ohio HS coaches. HS coaches are a gate keeper for HS athletes and when a head coach has a relationship with HS coaches the HS coaches give call the college coaches about their players and they speak highly of your staff when they communicate with the HS players.

We offered RB Bud Golden and OT Marcus Hill from Cincy and we are going after CB Mike Edwards from Cleveland Glenville HS where Ted Ginn, Sr. is the head coach. There is a long established pipeline from Glenville to OSU so the only way we are going to get a recruit from there is if OSU passes on him or somehow screws up the recruitment process. It's like this at other places too so in many cases the Gophers may just want to be the alternative program of choice in case a player gets passed over by the big dog or just wants to leave town. I think this is pretty much what the Gophers are trying to do at Dallas Skyline but at best we probably fall behind Texas and Oklahoma.

It would be nice if we had a coach with stronger ties to Ohio to try to pull in more recruits from there but Ohio is a very well scouted area by all of the Big Ten schools. I personally think it is easier to differentiate yourself in Texas as a Big Ten School in a big city when the athletes are being recruited by other schools in other conferences in college towns. We could probably do a better job recruting in Florida and California too the net your staff casts can only be so wide before you become less effective.

I think the other thing to point out which puts Brewster at a disadvantage is that there are several other BCS programs outside the state of Ohio with coaches who are from the Ohio area. There is quite a pipeline of coaches from Youngstown, OH area right now(Stoops brothers, Mark Mangino, Bo Pelini) and Bob Stoops dad was a legendary high school coach at Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown which has put out some good talent over the years. This gives kids options who want to go out of state or are not recruited by OSU but want a coach who understands them and their hometown.

Top Bottom