Ohio State-Kentucky

MaroonGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Over under on the number of combined stars from Scout.com of the individual players on the floor right now...

I was thinking the exact same thing. The battle of the 5-stars.

Is it just me, or does Calipari whine a lot? Honest question, don't watch much college ball outside the Gophers. Whenever they show Matta he looks concerned, but whenever they show Calipari he is griping and making faces like the refs are out to get him.

I have a feeling that the winner of this game will go to the Final Four, if not the NC...and I also have a bad feeling it won't be OSU. Man, I really dislike Kentucky!

Looks like 1/4 of the Elite Eight belongs to the SEC
The conference that was suppose to be awful

I have a feeling that the winner of this game will go to the Final Four, if not the NC...and I also have a bad feeling it won't be OSU. Man, I really dislike Kentucky!

Why dislike Kentucky?
Don't you have the coach you want because of them?

Before the tourney, I thought this was the least top heavy field I had ever seen. No great teams, some very good teams and plenty of good teams. Kansas should get to the final given what's left on their side, but any of the four teams left on the other side can beat them.

Speaking of which, I wonder how long it will be before one of your seasons will be Cali-vacated?

What a great tweet-

Really, that was one of the best endings to a game that John Calipari will eventually have to vacate.

Looks like 1/4 of the Elite Eight belongs to the SEC
The conference that was suppose to be awful
2 very good teams and a bunch of mediocre to rotten teams isn't a lot to brag about. The SEC West is terrible.

I don't see much reason right now to thank Kentucky for giving Minnesota their hand-me-down coach. It's the same thing with transfers. Why do we want someone else's hand-me-down player if he couldn't cut it at their school? Very rarely are transfers of an elite caliber.

With only Sullinger down low, I feared that a cold shooting perimeter game would do OSU in and it happened. (Buford sure stunk it up.)

What I hate about Kentucky is the vocal (likely) minority that acts like they are entitled to make Final Fours. No one is entitled anything because of past tradition. It's this same group that acts like Minnesota should thank their lucky stars to have Smith and be happy with just making the tournament. Like we shouldn't ever expect to be good because we don't have Kentucky-type tradition. Hey, if Wisconsin can win, why can't Minnesota? Okay, enough ranting. :D

Congrats to your team though. I think they'll beat North Carolina and end your Final Four drought.

Same-old, same-old for Big Ten. It appears Michigan State is the only team that can handle the weight of carrying the Big 10 banner in the NCAA Tournament. At some point someone else has to deliver when they receive such a high seed (I'm looking at you specifically, Buckeyes).

OSU had a tough draw this year - I think if you're a Big Ten fan, you should be more disappointed in Wisconsin not taking advantage of a weak bracket or Purdue for not making a run - let's be real, some of it has to do with the luck of the draw, and Butler & VCU are not Kentucky. In any other region, OSU had a much better chance of going to the F4 (Kansas in particular has to have been licking their chops). UK this year is possibly the best #4 seed of all time - they played outstanding defense - we'll see if they have the energy to come back and win again in a couple days with their short bench. I never thought offense was OSU's weakness, because they only had a couple bad shooting games all year - it's really tough for any team to score when UK plays D like that. If you want to be picky, maybe OSU didn't have enough of a dribble drive element to their offense, but they had pretty much everything else.

OSU had a tough draw this year - I think if you're a Big Ten fan, you should be more disappointed in Wisconsin not taking advantage of a weak bracket or Purdue for not making a run - let's be real, some of it has to do with the luck of the draw, and Butler & VCU are not Kentucky. In any other region, OSU had a much better chance of going to the F4 (Kansas in particular has to have been licking their chops). UK this year is possibly the best #4 seed of all time - they played outstanding defense - we'll see if they have the energy to come back and win again in a couple days with their short bench. I never thought offense was OSU's weakness, because they only had a couple bad shooting games all year - it's really tough for any team to score when UK plays D like that. If you want to be picky, maybe OSU didn't have enough of a dribble drive element to their offense, but they had pretty much everything else.

Tough draw or not, you still have to play the games. The Bucks were the number one seed in the tournament and once again underperformed their seed. Other teams underperformed, but don't give your team a pass because Purdue and Wisconsin failed, too. I didn't see the game last night, so I don't know how it transpired on the court. But if I am a fan of a number one seed in the tournament, I am ticked off we didn't get past the sixteen. I am not making excuses about a bad draw.

I'm not saying I wasn't disappointed, but let's be realistic. Again, looking at this from a Big Ten perspective ... OSU did not represent the Big Ten poorly. They lost to the SEC champs in a very tight game. They lost because one of college basketball's best programs had a great team that played really well. Wisconsin and Purdue did represent the conference poorly because both of those teams were (at least for significant portions of the game) dominated by mid-majors in VCU and Butler, and they had the opportunity to make E8/F4 runs without facing a team with the talent of UK.

Priceless rationalization OSUfan. But I guess if saying that out loud makes you feel better, go for it. A #2 seed last year and a #1 overall seed this year, and only two Sweet 16s to show for it?That's what I'd call underachieving. Can you now tell us how great Tennessee was last year, too?

Two can play at that game, SS - Purdue hasn't been to the Final Four in over 30 years, yet they have had a #1 seed three times, a #2 seed twice and a #3 seed three times in the 21 tournaments they have made since they've been to the Final Four - for a program that leads the Big Ten in regular season basketball championships, that's what I'd call underachievement.

I just have to say, I wish we had Aaron Craft as our point guard for the next three years. Having him at the point guarantees relevancy for the Buckeyes until his eligibility is up.

You lost me when you said that Kentucky was possibly the best #4 seed of all time. Arizona took down 3 #1 seeds en route to the title in 1997.

You lost me when you said that Kentucky was possibly the best #4 seed of all time. Arizona took down 3 #1 seeds en route to the title in 1997.

Well, wait and see what happens this year. UK could win it all. Then what would you say?

fan

Well, wait and see what happens this year. UK could win it all. Then what would you say?

My lasting memory will be the "TreeNuts" getting beat by Cal and NOT making it to the Final Four. As I do pull for Big Ten teams in the tourney, it brings me no joy to say this.

If Kentucky wins it all, I'll still say they aren't the best #4 seed of all time. Before this tourney started, I said that this was the weakest field at the top that I've ever seen. Any of the #1 seeds that Arizona beat in 1997 (and the Gophers) are far better than anything this tourney has to offer, in my opinion.

Why dislike Kentucky?

We got the coach that we wanted. You seem to be missing him a lot for coming here and posting. Yes SEC was really bad this year. Playing one good game does not make the whole year good for SEC. If it did, Butler fans must be bragging like you now.

Oh wait, Florida is gone in a few hours, your beloved Uk will be gone too. Like I said last year, you can sell your final 4 tickets and pay for your dentures or some food for your kids now. You aint going to the final4 with your current coach. Go UNC.

Go Gophers

Oh wait, Florida is gone in a few hours, your beloved Uk will be gone too. Like I said last year, you can sell your final 4 tickets and pay for your dentures or some food for your kids now. You aint going to the final4 with your current coach. Go UNC.
I passionately hate Kentucky as much as the next person, but I think that's a foolish statement to make. Calipari, crooked or not, has taken Memphis and UMass to the Final Four. He will get Kentucky into the Final Four and it might be this year already.

Seems the only time Roy Williams hasn't choked in the tournament with UNC has been when he's had junior and senior dominated teams. Isn't UNC pretty young this year?

I'm going to puke my guts out if Kentucky wins it all this year.

We got the coach that we wanted. You seem to be missing him a lot for coming here and posting. Yes SEC was really bad this year. Playing one good game does not make the whole year good for SEC. If it did, Butler fans must be bragging like you now.

Go Gophers

A certain other UK coach had a national title and an elite eight in his first two seasons with the school.

Do you think Nugget can name him?

Calipari had an elite 8 last season and final 4 (possibly championship) this season.

This other coach started with a title and then went elite 8.

Heck, I'll tell ya who the other coach was ... Tubby Smith

At this point, Tubby Smith is still two wins better than Cal in his first two seasons.

Top Bottom