Ohio State AD Gene Smith says recruits are demanding $5,000 to just visit campus.

It wouldn’t, but it would end this charade of amateurism as well as put the universities on the hook for more, which I am in support of given they’re reaping unholy sums of money while pushing boosters to line kids pockets while taking on little risk themselves. Some teams would balk and cut programs or their contracts would be worse, but that would be the discussion around salary caps

If it’s a charade that implies the players are already getting paid, so no action is needed. Or, if you mean some aren’t dedicated students or able to devote all their time to school well sure. Then again, the resources available to these guys in terms of academic support, online materials, etc is extraordinary these days.

The players need the programs as much as the programs need the players. Nobody is banging down the door to start a pro league with high schoolers and recent grads. If that market exists any number of entities would be interested in investing their leisure money. It doesn’t, or at least hasn’t been attempted.

I agree there should be a salary cap, tv revenue sharing amongst programs and even conferences but more in terms of limiting staff size and salaries, with the balance redirected to academic scholarships, faculty support. You know, the mission of universities.

If it’s a charade that implies the players are already getting paid, so no action is needed. Or, if you mean some aren’t dedicated students or able to devote all their time to school well sure. Then again, the resources available to these guys in terms of academic support, online materials, etc is extraordinary these days.

The players need the programs as much as the programs need the players. Nobody is banging down the door to start a pro league with high schoolers and recent grads. If that market exists any number of entities would be interested in investing their leisure money. It doesn’t, or at least hasn’t been attempted.

I agree there should be a salary cap, tv revenue sharing amongst programs and even conferences but more in terms of limiting staff size and salaries, with the balance redirected to academic scholarships, faculty support. You know, the mission of universities.
The end is more what I mean. The Universities (not all but enough) as a whole have steered way away from what college sports was meant to be to make it more about making money. If it’s about making money, put the contracts in place and stop acting like you’re doing this to help people get an education. If a kid wants to negotiate classwork, etc into their contract they can. If they have no interest, they can just play their sport.

I’m always surprised by the number of fans that think if players are reclassified as employees college sports will carry on as before, just with W-2 salary and benefits. It’s hard to imagine all the wide-reaching ramifications on athletic departments, football programs, non-revenue programs, realignment incentives and coaching staffs and athletic direc
I’m always surprised by the number of fans that think if players are reclassified as employees college sports will carry on as before, just with W-2 salary and benefits. It’s hard to imagine all the wide-reaching ramifications on athletic departments, football programs, non-revenue programs, realignment incentives.

I think that the salaries of coaches and their staffs as well as athletic directors and their staffs would need to be reduced to help subsidize all of the costs and all the wide-reaching ramifications of nil and having the schools, coaches administrators, et. al reap the financial rewards from the bonanza of super conferences, tv revenues and not having to share the wealth with the players.

The NFL owners whine and moan about the demands the players unions demands have cost them.

Nil is here.

It exists in all college sports at all divisions and is available local high school athletes. It just needs to be bought into and sold. Or, perhaps modified, studied and regulated. I guess that might make some sense too.

Maybe the economics of football are all out of whack?

Top Bottom