Ohio St @ Michigan

freshtrout

Reaction score
So far, so good - Mich up .. 16-10. Time for the leaders to come back to the pack..

Another home team leading against a good team on the road. Is this the first time that has ever happened in the Big Ten?

I am thinking OSU wins this though.

So far, so good - Mich up .. 16-10. Time for the leaders to come back to the pack..

Gotta be careful about too many underlings coming up, too, though. Not sure it is a good thing for Minnesota to have Michigan and Penn State winning games like they are. Trying not to be too pessimistic, but I don't see the Gophers being contenders for the title. That means they will fall in the 3rd-7th range. If it is 5th-7th then we should not be celebrating too many wins by PSU or Michigan, as they stand a chance to be competing with us for a bid. I'd prefer not to have to worry about things like that, but I am not comfortable yet thinking this MN team at this point can seal up a sure-shot bid with a 3rd or 4th place finish.

Yes, that's true, but we also don't want Ohio St and or a Purdue to run away with by far the best records in the conference. Some teams need to beat them for the 'overall strength' of the conference.

Gotta be careful about too many underlings coming up, too, though. Not sure it is a good thing for Minnesota to have Michigan and Penn State winning games like they are. Trying not to be too pessimistic, but I don't see the Gophers being contenders for the title. That means they will fall in the 3rd-7th range. If it is 5th-7th then we should not be celebrating too many wins by PSU or Michigan, as they stand a chance to be competing with us for a bid. I'd prefer not to have to worry about things like that, but I am not comfortable yet thinking this MN team at this point can seal up a sure-shot bid with a 3rd or 4th place finish.

+1 Gophers are not a lock for a bid. I want them to finish ahead of PSU and Michigan

Well they pulled as close as 5, but now it's back to 9 and pretty much over imo.

5 straight points and Matta takes a timeout, up 4 with 2:15.

Pulled it within 4 now...2:15 left

Well they pulled as close as 5, but now it's back to 9 and pretty much over imo.

Back within 4. OSU looking vulnerable late in the last two games, I still think they hold on to win though.

Sullinger fouls out. Just over a minute left, Michigan with the ball down 5.

Some questionable calls against Michigan

Thought that was a terrible call against Smotrycz, looked like a walk to me.

40 seconds, Michigan ball down 4.

12 sec, OSU up 2 with the ball...pretty much the last chance for them to miss a FT here.

Bucks win. Really don't think they're quite as good as everyone thinks, though.

Agree - can see them losing at Purdue, Becky, Williams Arena, and at Illinois.

OSU has now won 9 straight Big Ten road games. And five true road games against BCS teams this season (#1 Duke has zero at the moment). It's hard to win on the road. Winning on the road anywhere in the Big Ten is a good win.

So what is the logic behind cheering for vs. against OSU? Here is my take - I want them to win because....

A. I don't think we will take 1st in the Big10.
B. I think we can beat OSU at home.
C. I would like them to be as highly ranked as possible (preferably #1) when we beat them at home.
D. If other teams (Purdue, Mich St, Becky) lose to OSU I don't feel that will harm our conference's perceived strength, rather it will just make OSU look better.

I'm rooting against OSU because I believe my team has a chance to win the conference.

On the other hand, it looks like OSU might be heading towards #1 next week, based on what's going on in Tallahassee...

I'm rooting against OSU because I believe my team has a chance to win the conference.

On the other hand, it looks like OSU might be heading towards #1 next week, based on what's going on in Tallahassee...

OSU won by 14 on the road at Florida State, a team that really played tough that game, and of course everyone says OSU hasn't beaten anybody this year. For a team like FSU, you can't look at a loss to a team like Auburn and just conclude that they're a bad basketball team - they have a lot of size & talent, and when they decide to D you up, it's going to be a slugfest & the tougher team is going to win. FSU isn't a consistent team, but when they want to, they can be awfully tough. I think some things people don't appreciate enough is A) the fact that OSU gets the opponents' best shot every game, and B) they're 5-0 in true road games this year against BCS opponents, and that's hard to accomplish - getting everyone's best shot makes it even more difficult.

OSU will lose some road games, but they're not overrated. They belong ranked ahead of Duke without Kyrie Irving.

Purdue won by 23 at Michigan and by 15 at Penn State and hasn't lost a true road game in almost a year.

But without Hummel Purdue sucks.

OSU won by 14 on the road at Florida State, a team that really played tough that game, and of course everyone says OSU hasn't beaten anybody this year. For a team like FSU, you can't look at a loss to a team like Auburn and just conclude that they're a bad basketball team - they have a lot of size & talent, and when they decide to D you up, it's going to be a slugfest & the tougher team is going to win. FSU isn't a consistent team, but when they want to, they can be awfully tough. I think some things people don't appreciate enough is A) the fact that OSU gets the opponents' best shot every game, and B) they're 5-0 in true road games this year against BCS opponents, and that's hard to accomplish - getting everyone's best shot makes it even more difficult.

OSU will lose some road games, but they're not overrated. They belong ranked ahead of Duke without Kyrie Irving.
FSU beat Duke, but they also lost to Auburn, arguably the worst BCS conference team. It's definitely tough to figure that team out.

I'm not trying to insult the team or anything, I think it's a great team, but the truth is that both OSU and Purdue haven't hardly played anybody. Seriously, how were the beginning of the conference schedules for those teams made so easy. Both have 5 of first 6 against unranked teams - crazy.

I think the "get the opponents best shot" is entirely overrated in sports, especially college basketball. But trying to understand sports psychology is not something anybody here is going to succeed at. I think any ranked team is going to get every teams toughest shot.

Anyways, we'll find out more in the next 3 weeks for sure.

Purdue won by 23 at Michigan and by 15 at Penn State and hasn't lost a true road game in almost a year.

But without Hummel Purdue sucks.

Getting old. I don't think anyone on here is saying that Purdue sucks without Hummel.

Congrats, you got a couple decent road wins, hopefully we keep you from getting another one tomorrow night. Purdue is a good team and I'm looking forward to a close game.

Getting old. I don't think anyone on here is saying that Purdue sucks without Hummel.

Congrats, you got a couple decent road wins, hopefully we keep you from getting another one tomorrow night. Purdue is a good team and I'm looking forward to a close game.

+1.

Can we cut that schtick already? It's almost laughable how often you unnecessarily defend Purdue when nobody said anything bad about them in the first place.

Top Bottom