Ohio St backup QB thinks classes are pointless because ‘we ain’t come to play SCHOOL'

He better hope this football thing works out as a career because after graduation I bet he ain't come to play job either.

I highlighted a word that I don't think this guy has any interest in attending/obtaining. Not sure he needs to worry about double booking on graduation day.

Go Gophers!!

Don't know anything about this kid but clearly I think he fits in the category of all or nothing. If the football thing doesn't happen he is going to be flipping burgers for the rest of his life.

I'm sure Urban Meyer will teach this young man a thing or two about spending time with your family, protecting your health, and doing what's fair or ethical, even if it isn't always what's easy.

He's 18 years old, I'm sure we ALL had our heads screwed on just right at 18. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Urban Meyer will teach this young man a thing or two about spending time with your family, protecting your health, and doing what's fair or ethical, even if it isn't always what's easy.

Then that must be the reason that he went to Ohio State. He obviously doesn't need to attend classes with a mentor who can teach him all that. I expect he will pass this fall semester with flying colors if he can learn to say The Ohio State University instead of Ohio State.

People are going to mock him, but he's not that far off the mark. He's there to play football. He knows it, Urban Meyer knows it, Ohio State knows it, and the NCAA knows it.

The student-athlete rhetoric is there to justify the fact that these guys aren't being paid.

OSU runs into these issues often. 2012 signee Adolphus Washington had this to say

“It’s the education part,” Washington continued. “I know all these schools athletically can offer me the same thing. The academic support at Ohio State, there is no way you can fail. Even if you’re giving minimal effort there is no way you can fail.”

http://247sports.com/Article/Washington-is-finally-a-Buckeye-49904

People are going to mock him, but he's not that far off the mark. He's there to play football. He knows it, Urban Meyer knows it, Ohio State knows it, and the NCAA knows it.

The student-athlete rhetoric is there to justify the fact that these guys aren't being paid.

Sadly true.

Ohio State will do what it needs to do in order to win football games. Period. Everything else is secondary. Then again, it's not like this is some kind of revelation. Pretty much common knowledge at this point.

A picture of Cardale Jones in the year 2028:

uncle-rico-picture.jpg

Let the NFL set up a minor league for players that don't want to go to college. It works for baseball.

Problem here true or not is that the majority of kids in this country are still not stupid enough to say or in this case Tweet it. He seems to be lacking common sense.

By the time he gets done, be it sooner or later, he will know enough to call someone a dum schidt.

Let the NFL set up a minor league for players that don't want to go to college. It works for baseball.
Why would the NFL do that when they can have the NCAA operate their minor league system for free? The whole point of the NFL blocking Maurice Clarrett was to keep the players in the farm system longer.

I have a lot of sympathy for these young men:

1) Most of them come from places where the public education system resembles something you would find in Zimbabwe. In many cases, they neither have the appreciation for education, nor the necessary skills to do well once they arrive at college.

2) They are recruited with dreams of the NFL pumped into their heads. Combine that with the natural arrogance of being a young kid and the adoration they've received all of their lives. Almost every kid at a school like Ohio State is expecting to play in the NFL. It's stupid, but it's true.

3) Even if they had the necessary skills, intellect, and ambition to do well in school, they are severely limited in the amount of time they have to take serious classes. Challenging classes are usually discouraged so that kids can stay eligible and APR numbers are kept high. Any coach that says otherwise is lying.

I get that the kid is going to be mocked, and what he said is clearly stupid, but people should also take this as an opportunity to consider just what the hell college athletics is all about.

I love college sports, but this type of thing depresses me. It's not directly the fault of any one party, and I'm not delusional enough to think that their lives would be better without the chance that college football provides them, but I still think more should be done to emphasize the student part of the equation.

Why would the NFL do that when they can have the NCAA operate their minor league system for free? The whole point of the NFL blocking Maurice Clarrett was to keep the players in the farm system longer.

I have a lot of sympathy for these young men:

1) Most of them come from places where the public education system resembles something you would find in Zimbabwe. In many cases, they neither have the appreciation for education, nor the necessary skills to do well once they arrive at college.

2) They are recruited with dreams of the NFL pumped into their heads. Combine that with the natural arrogance of being a young kid and the adoration they've received all of their lives. Almost every kid at a school like Ohio State is expecting to play in the NFL. It's stupid, but it's true.

3) Even if they had the necessary skills, intellect, and ambition to do well in school, they are severely limited in the amount of time they have to do take serious classes. Challenging classes are usually discouraged so that kids can stay eligible and APR numbers are kept high. Any coach that says otherwise is lying.

As a graduate assistant at Minnesota (hardly a football factory like Ohio State or Alabama) for 5 years, I saw one college football or basketball player in any of my classes, and he was a walk-on. A friend of mine, also there for the same period of time, also only had one (D.L. Wilhite). Conversely, I had many student athletes from pretty much every other sport (baseball, hockey, track, every women's sport there was). Now, I teach at a D3 school, and I have a ton of football players because they aren't sheltered from real classes. It's not a coincidence.

I get that the kid is going to be mocked, and what he said is clearly stupid, but people should also take this as an opportunity to consider just what the hell college athletics is all about.

I love college sports, but this type of thing depresses me. It's not directly the fault of any one party, and I'm not delusional enough to think that their lives would be better without the chance that college football provides them, but I still think more should be done to emphasize the student part of the equation.

Just got through taking a CE course with a man from Zimbabwe. He confirmed for me that their education is based on the British system. Many consider that system to be quite good.:p Okay I'll go sit in the corner...

Just got through taking a CE course with a man from Zimbabwe. He confirmed for me that their education is based on the British system. Many consider that system to be quite good.:p Okay I'll go sit in the corner...
Well *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. I actually thought to myself, "I'll probably end up insulting someone from Zimbabwe".

They guys should watch the new 30 for 30 "Broke". Even when they do get paid, many top athletes go broke at some point in their life because they didn't know how to take care of their money and didn't have a whole lot to fall back on after sports because they didn't take things seriously in college.

Anyone who say's, "We ain't come to play..." shouldn't be in college period.

So pretty much every D1 athlete in a top 25 program?

I guess so if true. If true...very sad. Words and grammar matter in life. Might as well get a grasp on that sooner than later.

They will say his account was hacked or it was a prank.

I agree with Gopherprof on the angle that "this is the way it is," but it's also the "way it has pretty much always been." I'm not defending Jones or the system or trying to come off as the ultimate cynic, but the marginal D-1 athlete is recruited much harder for athletics than the marginal academic performer is sought.

I just hope Jones doesn't take up space and actually goes to class and gets something out of the academic experience whether he graduates or not.

As a graduate assistant at Minnesota (hardly a football factory like Ohio State or Alabama) for 5 years, I saw one college football or basketball player in any of my classes, and he was a walk-on. A friend of mine, also there for the same period of time, also only had one (D.L. Wilhite). Conversely, I had many student athletes from pretty much every other sport (baseball, hockey, track, every women's sport there was). Now, I teach at a D3 school, and I have a ton of football players because they aren't sheltered from real classes. It's not a coincidence..

Pretty much the same for me. I've taught upper level science courses at 2 Big Ten schools and 2 MIAC schools. Guess which ones were populated with athletes, including football players.

afurry, I don't think your comment is true.

It was a bit of an exaggeration, but too many impact players in D1 Football have bricks in their head or simply do not care about bettering themselves mentally. The school doesn't care one bit. The NCAA hasn't given them a reason to. The academic standards for our athletes are way too low. They need to spend less time doing absolutely nothin with their life when not at practice and more time hitting the books. The amount of time some of these athletes spend in front of the TV tweeting is astounding.

I took a class with one of the basketball players here (name left out because its not relevant) as one of my electives by pure chance. The kid did absolutely nothing. It was an easy class and he ended up dropping it mid way through. However, as a fan, I'm still going to cheer as loud as I can for the guy when basketball season starts up. That's the culture that has formed around "student" athletes.

It's a culture thing. And it won't change unless we improve the standards of our athletes. I realize Jerry had an extremely high average GPA for the team but its the bottom of the pile where stories like this come from. I'm certain the U has their fair share, our guys just have an ounce more of common sense to not go tweeting it.

Pay them if that's what it takes. They deserve that much. But if they are going to be the face of your university, hold them to higher standards than just the minimum for students. 3.0 for less rigorous majors, 2.5 for the sciences. You don't meet that, you sit. Kids will shape up quickly. Something needs to be done at the NCAA level

Top Bottom