[Official] The Big Ten Champion and Big Ten Tournament seeding will be determined using win percentage

Taji34

Reaction score
From this week's Big Ten Weekly Hockey Release (https://bigten.org/news/2021/2/25/mens-ice-hockey-big-ten-weekly-hockey-release.aspx):
Due to the number of games postponed this season and the limited number of windows remaining to reschedule contests, the Big Ten Champion and Big Ten Tournament seeding will be determined using the protocol for unbalanced schedules approved prior to the start of the season. The first element of that protocol is winning percentage in Big Ten games, with wins in regulation and overtime counted as wins and shootout results counted as ties for the purpose of calculating winning percentages. More information can be found on page four.

Digging into the PDF and looking at Page 4 here are the full details:
PROTOCOL FOR UNBALANCED SCHEDULES

In the event of an unbalanced schedule due to the cancellation of games, a team must compete in a minimum of 13 regular season conference games to be eligible to be named the conference champion. The following procedure will be used to determine the Big Ten Champion and Big Ten Tournament seeding in the event of an unbalanced schedule due to the cancellation of games:

A. Regular-season winning percentage in all Big Ten games;
B. Regular-season winning percentage against any tied team(s);
C. Regular-season winning percentage in all games;
D. Greater number of Big Ten regular-season wins;
E. Fewest number of Big Ten regular season losses;
F. Winning percentages of any tied team(s) against the remaining highest ranked Big Ten teams in conference games, successively, until the determination is accomplished or all Big Ten regular-season contests have been considered;
G. Comparison of total goals for and against each team in contests between (among) tied team(s) in conference games. For sake of clarity, a team’s goals-against shall be subtracted from its goals-for, in order to compare;
H. Flip of a coin.

Note: Wins in regulation and overtime shall be counted as wins for the purpose of breaking ties in the standings for tournament seeding and in calculating winning percentages. Shootout wins shall not count as regular-season wins for the purpose of breaking ties in the standings for tournament seeding. Games that go to shootout will be considered a tie game and treated as such in calculating winning percentages.

I am too lazy to do math.

Badgers got another "tie" tonight.

Are we good if we regulation split with Michigan??

I am too lazy to do math.

Badgers got another "tie" tonight.

Are we good if we regulation split with Michigan??
They did not, they won in overtime which is counted as a win in calculating win percentages. That means if the badgers win out, we must as well to win the regular season title.

In their last 3 games:
If Badgers win out they have a 0.75 winning percentage (18 wins / 24 conference games played).
If Badgers drop one they have a 0.708 winning percentage (17 wins / 24 conference games played).
If Badgers drop 2 they have a 0.666 winning percentage (16 wins / 24 conference games played).
If Badgers drop all 3 they have a 0.625 winning percentage (15 wins / 24 conference games played).

In our last 2 games:
If we win out we have a 0.772 winning percentage (17 wins / 22 conference games played).
If we split we have a 0.727 winning percentage (16 wins / 22 conference games played).
If we get swept we have a 0.682 winning percentage (15 / 22 conference games played).

Basically, for us to win we can't lose more in our last 2 games than the Badgers lose in their last 3. That is, unless I've calculated the winning percentage wrong.

They did not, they won in overtime which is counted as a win in calculating win percentages. That means if the badgers win out, we must as well to win the regular season title.

In their last 3 games:
If Badgers win out they have a 0.75 winning percentage (18 wins / 24 conference games played).
If Badgers drop one they have a 0.708 winning percentage (17 wins / 24 conference games played).
If Badgers drop 2 they have a 0.666 winning percentage (16 wins / 24 conference games played).
If Badgers drop all 3 they have a 0.625 winning percentage (15 wins / 24 conference games played).

In our last 2 games:
If we win out we have a 0.772 winning percentage (17 wins / 22 conference games played).
If we split we have a 0.727 winning percentage (16 wins / 22 conference games played).
If we get swept we have a 0.682 winning percentage (15 / 22 conference games played).

Basically, for us to win we can't lose more in our last 2 games than the Badgers lose in their last 3. That is, unless I've calculated the winning percentage wrong.

They only got 2 pts tonight I saw.

That still counts a win??

Alright folks I'll make it simple.

Forget about points. If uw goes 3-0 in their last three, which is likely because they play pathetic teams, the Gophers need to go 2-0 or 1-0-1 against Michigan to win the title.

NO losses or 3 on 3 losses, or uw would win.

They only got 2 pts tonight I saw.

That still counts a win??
Yes, from the quoted protocol:
Note: Wins in regulation and overtime shall be counted as wins for the purpose of breaking ties in the standings for tournament seeding and in calculating winning percentages. Shootout wins shall not count as regular-season wins for the purpose of breaking ties in the standings for tournament seeding. Games that go to shootout will be considered a tie game and treated as such in calculating winning percentages.

They won in overtime for this game.

Alright folks I'll make it simple.

Forget about points. If uw goes 3-0 in their last three, which is likely because they play pathetic teams, the Gophers need to go 2-0 or 1-0-1 against Michigan to win the title.

NO losses or 3 on 3 losses, or uw would win.
We can't go 1-0-1 because the win percentage wouldn't be high enough right? How do ties get counted?

We can't go 1-0-1 because the win percentage wouldn't be high enough right? How do ties get counted?
A tie is .5 of a win. Your math was wrong in the other post because the badgers have a tie.

If the badgers go 4-0 against the very bad OSU and MSU teams:
17-6-1 (53 points - no longer relevant)
.729 winning percentage

If the Gophers go:
2-0 - 17-5-0
.772 winning percentage

1-0-1 - 16-5-1
.750 winning percentage

1-1 - 16-6-0
.727 winning percentage

0-0-2 - 15-5-2
.727 winning percentage

0-1-1 - 15-6-1
.705 winning percentage

0-2 - 15-7-0
.682 winning percentage

Thanks for laying this out. To be clear, 1-0-1 is a shootout loss, not an OT loss, right? A win and an OT loss is 1-1?

Thanks for laying this out. To be clear, 1-0-1 is a shootout loss, not an OT loss, right? A win and an OT loss is 1-1?
Yes. The Gophers can't lose in OT 3 on 3. And because Michigan has the most pure talent in the country, if they were to get to three on three on Saturday after winning Friday, the Gophers should play keep away and waste time rather than taking risks and letting Michigan score.

A tie is .5 of a win. Your math was wrong in the other post because the badgers have a tie.

.729 winning percentage

If the Gophers go:
2-0 - 17-5-0
.772 winning percentage

1-0-1 - 16-5-1
.750 winning percentage

1-1 - 16-6-0
.727 winning percentage

0-0-2 - 15-5-2
.727 winning percentage

0-1-1 - 15-6-1
.705 winning percentage

0-2 - 15-7-0
.682 winning percentage
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Yes. The Gophers can't lose in OT 3 on 3. And because Michigan has the most pure talent in the country, if they were to get to three on three on Saturday after winning Friday, the Gophers should play keep away and waste time rather than taking risks and letting Michigan score.
agreed fully. would be disgusting, but you do it to hang the banner for the regular season title

.729 winning percentage

If the Gophers go:
2-0 - 17-5-0
.772 winning percentage

1-0-1 - 16-5-1
.750 winning percentage

1-1 - 16-6-0
.727 winning percentage

0-0-2 - 15-5-2
.727 winning percentage

0-1-1 - 15-6-1
.705 winning percentage

0-2 - 15-7-0
.682 winning percentage

So if this is correct....even if the Badgers win both games against MSU.....the Gophers have locked up the regular season title.

I just saw on the news that the games vs Michigan have been canceled.

So if this is correct....even if the Badgers win both games against MSU.....the Gophers have locked up the regular season title.

I just saw on the news that the games vs Michigan have been canceled.
Not sure what news you watch but no one has said that...

The women's basketball game against UM was canceled

Not sure what news you watch but no one has said that...

The women's basketball game against UM was canceled

Oh, crap. The sound was off and I jumped to conclusions. Sorry all.

The Gophers would have won the conference if the Big Ten had a clue and used point percentage like the NCHC. And that's all I have to say about that.

BS we didn't win the title, big ten hockey is a joke

All they can do now is win the B1G tournament and prove themselves in the NCAA tournament....
The Gophers have one won NCAA tournament game outside of Minnesota since 2007. They have won one conference tournament since 2007.

We said it before last weekend. Time to prove if they're a new team. They failed and lost the title on the last weekend for the second year in a row.

They have two more tournaments to prove they are not the same old Gophers.

I think points percentage would have been a more fair way to do it. That said, this was the system they used and everyone was subject to it. At the end of the day, if we had split at home vs Wisconsin instead of getting swept and outscored by at combined score of 12-2, we would be hanging another conference banner.

The Gophers would have won the conference if the Big Ten had a clue and used point percentage like the NCHC. And that's all I have to say about that.
Good God, you have like a weird Bromance with that conference.

Having been a Gopher hockey fan for almost 50 years ,I have a bit of a romance with the NCHC because many of our biggest rivals from the “old” WCHA are in it. There is nothing like it today. Sold out games! Spirited rivalry’s! The NE section! Best of all quality play! Minnesota Pride on Ice
personified!

Top Bottom