***OFFICIAL TEXAS A&M CORPUS CHRISTI AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

That Jalen Jackson is quite a player. He transferred from North Texas to Texas A&M Corpus Christi. I wonder if he is interested in a Grad Transfer to MN when his time is up?

There is no special provision for grad transfers anymore. If he hasn't transferred previously from a four year school, then he can transfer with immediate eligibility anytime. The NCAA ignored that rule this past offseason but there was no way they could enforce it with all of the violating transfers.

Stats show As the Gophers assist go up so does their turn overs. Have to believe coach will have a word or 2 to say about turn overs.

Richard pitino’s record 8 wins in a season still stands

Good reminder! I wasn't sure how good or bad this team would be prior to the season but I was pretty confident that the team wouldn't be the absolute nadir that some were predicting. I had the miserable experience of following closely two truly awful teams this century. One was Pitino's 2015-16 team `and the other was Todd Lickliter's 2009-10 Iowa team (all three of Lickliter's Iowa teams were bad but that last one was exceptionally terrible). Pitino's team finished 8-23 and Lickliter's last team finished 10-22. Given that we had a handful of players at least with extended track records of solid contributions at the D1 level, I believed this team couldn't be as bad as those. Nice to see that the team broke Pitino's record in the 10th game and likely will break the Lickliter team record at the end of the nonconference portion of the season.

didn’t watch the middle 20 min of the game so correct me if I’m wrong and brutal/sloppy play was responsible but I was attributing the astronomical T/O rate to Ben knowing the W was secure and using the free D1 practice to begin integrating our bench while also pushing our starters to attempt higher difficulty schemes/plays out of their comfort zone that would be comedy if attempted against power 5 schools (instead of just being a bad t/o) but will be required if our success is to continue long-term down the stretch. I have no doubt we could have played starters the whole game and profoundly crushed them by 35 but what’s the point if it yields no gains down the road
Our bench players were sloppy too, but the starters were responsible for 22 of the 28 TOs.

I actually think Ben was planning about making it more of a free D1 practice but then the game got to within reach (~12-14).

Thompson had a terrible TO right at the end. Ogele was pretty sloppy in the last couple of minutes. But the TO issue was mostly just a result of our starters and top reserve (Sutherlin) playing really sloppy.

It happens and Ben looked infuriated. My guess is that the team is going to get some running in over the next couple of days.

The opponents formula against the Gophers has been established. Play 94 feet and pressure the heck out of them and wear them down. The CC tape will be looked at by all Big Ten Teams. With that being said, many Big Ten teams don't play that style but will they change it up for the Gophers? I have to believe some will. We have no true point guard that can handle that kind of constant pressure. Willis is probably the best, but even he struggled against that quickness. Inbound the ball to Curry or Battle and let them initiate the offense. This was somewhat done using Battle. In the half court offense use more ball fakes and back cuts against that overplay defense.

Absolutely perfect timing for a sloppy game such as this. Texas A&M Corpus Christi is in the top five on getting teams to turn the ball over. (Probably moved up after last night's game.) Have to give them some credit. It's their bread and butter.
Now Green Bay and Alcorn State. Wouldn't doubt if there is a bunch more in the next two games where I'm thinking "oh f**k"
Get two W's and prep for the Illini

edit: Any press conference after the game? Searched for one, but haven't found anything.

Last edited:

The opponents formula against the Gophers has been established. Play 94 feet and pressure the heck out of them and wear them down. The CC tape will be looked at by all Big Ten Teams. With that being said, many Big Ten teams don't play that style but will they change it up for the Gophers? I have to believe some will. We have no true point guard that can handle that kind of constant pressure. Willis is probably the best, but even he struggled against that quickness. Inbound the ball to Curry or Battle and let them initiate the offense. This was somewhat done using Battle. In the half court offense use more ball fakes and back cuts against that overplay defense.
It is hard to play full court defense for long stretches. And if your players aren't disciplined it can lead to easy baskets for the other team. The turnovers last night were concerning but at this point that game is also a massive outlier because we have been very good at taking care of the basketball in our other 9 games.

This is something that can be cleaned up. We didn't have a problem getting the ball over mid court. The problem was guys then trying to push tempo and break double teams. Or guys like Curry and Ogele thinking that they were ball handlers.

This is something that can be cleaned up. We didn't have a problem getting the ball over mid court. The problem was guys then trying to push tempo and break double teams. Or guys like Curry and Ogele thinking that they were ball handlers.
Ogele was about to pull off a flyin' drive and dunk play when he got called for palming the ball. Kid is athletic, but rough in the skills department.

You have to be able to play that kind of defense for the whole game. Most Big Ten teams don't have that kind of depth nor quickness in all their players to do that. While they can probably run it in stretches, I'm not concerned just yet that they will be capable of running it all the time. Beating a press honestly is best done passing the ball unless its straight up man to man. Beating zone presses is all about moving the ball faster then the defense can trap and correct.

Absolutely perfect timing for a sloppy game such as this. Texas A&M Corpus Christi is in the top five on getting teams to turn the ball over. (Probably moved up after last night's game.) Have to give them some credit. It's their bread and butter.
Now Green Bay and Alcorn State. Wouldn't doubt if there is a bunch more in the next two games where I'm thinking "oh f**k"
Get two W's and prep for the Illini

edit: Any press conference after the game? Searched for one, but haven't found anything.
I saw some press release clips in the Tweets section of the main page. Not sure whether the whole presser is anywhere. While on the subject, I enjoyed the first episode of the Gopher Basketball Weekly last week. The new one just came out and was recorded BEFORE last night's game. I will listen in at work later this week. Gopher Basketball Weekly Episode 2

sometimes you just have to give the other team credit. TAMCC did things defensively that forced Gopher players into making bad decisions.

I am not saying that TAMCC is a "better" defensive team than MSU or any other team the Gophers have faced. But they are different. a quick, pesky little team with the speed to pressure all over the court.

I see this as a challenge for the Gopher players and coaches. Can they learn from this and adapt? I am reasonably confident that the Gopher coaches will adjust and the players will learn from their mistakes.

In the end, the Gophers did not play their best, but they still won. I'll take it.

Katz saying Hockey at williams arena ???
Edit: ooops I was born in 1991.. I learned something new today

When the gophers still played hockey in Williams Arena (the Pavillion area), the ice didn't get put in as soon, so they would hold early-season workouts at other rinks. When Augsburg College put in its new ice rink in the mid-70's, the Gophers started working out at Augsburg. I was doing work-study at the ice arena, so I got to watch practice and BS with Herb Brooks in the rink office.

I worry this game may be the go-to blueprint when big ten coaches scheme up their defense strategy against us….
I don't think so. CC had a quick and small gnat of a point guard (a lesser version of Muggsy) that often got under Willis. Willis started passing the ball to someone else because he got annoyed. No B1G team has a guard like that. Second, much of the fault was the Gophers lack of focus on fundamentals. For example, the outlet goes out to Loewe and instead of moving toward the outlet, he ran further down court. The result...outlet pass is picked off.
People got so antsy to score that they forgot to corral the ball.
We were sloppy. It wasn't CC doing some magical defense.

I don't think so. CC had a quick and small gnat of a point guard (a lesser version of Muggsy) that often got under Willis. Willis started passing the ball to someone else because he got annoyed. No B1G team has a guard like that. Second, much of the fault was the Gophers lack of focus on fundamentals. For example, the outlet goes out to Loewe and instead of moving toward the outlet, he ran further down court. The result...outlet pass is picked off.
People got so antsy to score that they forgot to corral the ball.
We were sloppy. It wasn't CC doing some magical defense.
That's how I saw it too. People "antsy". Not focused. I think that was that look on Ben's face. He wasn't pissed because someone made a mistake, it was because he knows they are better mentally than they showed. I'm very happy to win a "crappy focused" game, but I think more importantly, that was a great learning experience for the boys.

Top Bottom