***OFFICIAL ST. FRANCIS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Love how the key run to take control of the game happened with Garcia and Cooper on the bench. The freshman looked much better today and are only going to get better.

Also love how Ben didn’t try to put Garcia back in the game once we took control. Absolutely no need to bring him back in and risk an injury.

Feeling much better about the team after this game.

Also, Samuels looked like a different player from Monday. He hit open shots and handled the press well.

(Sorry for the poor image quality on my previous post. Every time I tried to upload the image, I was told it was too large. So I had to progressively downgrade its quality until the board would accept it.)

Taking Battle out of the equation, is this team better than last years?

Taking Battle out of the equation, is this team better than last years?
In my view, this team is young but has more talent and will improve over the course of the year. There's simply more basketball talent out there. It's not hard to envision Payne, Ola-Joseph, Henley forming a nucleus and then next year's freshmen adding to it. Ben is building something. Forget wins and losses for now. Just enjoy watching real basketball being constructed here at the U. It's a sight to behold.

Last edited:

Also, Samuels looked like a different player from Monday. He hit open shots and handled the press well.
Thanks for this. Been box score watching and was going to ask if Samuels was playing much better.

In my view, this team is young but has more talent and will improve over the course of the year. There's simply more basketball talent out there. It's not hard to envision Payne, Ola-Joseph, Henley forming a nucleus and then next year's freshman adding to it. Ben is building something. Forget wins and losses for now. Just enjoy watching real basketball being constructed here at the U. It's a sight to behold.
Thanks for the summary. It's very exciting to see Ben build something special. I would be even more excited if the damn portal and NIL didn't exist. If someone dangles $100k in front of our talented freshmen, then what? It takes away from the enjoyment.

St. Francis Brooklyn plays at St. Thomas on Sunday in St. Paul. It will be interesting to see the outcome of that one.

The ability for these pre Big Ten season cannon fodder teams to save on travel costs and get two road games in on one trip, now that St. Thomas is here to schedule is an interesting thing to me at least.

Maybe Minnesota should have scheduled Chicago State for Sunday as well.

My thoughts:

Cooper: going to be more than an average PG, love his patience and vision. hope he comes back for another year.
Payne: has the size and strength to play already, he will figure out how not to get those off the ball fouls
Henley: looks like he may be able to give Cooper a break and bring the ball up, he got more and more comfortable as the game went on. Very high ceiling.
Ola-Joseph: played hard, athletic ability and size is great, highlight reel stuff, lost his man on defense a few times.
Thompson: can’t find his fit in the offense. Always seems to the out of place on offense and defense.

This team is going to be a ton of fun to watch grow. That said, my concern with this team is how often the guards get beat off the dribble on defense. St Francis blew by them often tonight. They might have to go zone more this year.

Thanks for the summary. It's very exciting to see Ben build something special. I would be even more excited if the damn portal and NIL didn't exist. If someone dangles $100k in front of our talented freshmen, then what? It takes away from the enjoyment.
Lol if you think one of the freshman is going to transfer for 100k. 3 out of 4 are from here and the other is Henley who could by end of next year be Murray out of Iowa. Regardless the NIL you are talking about is neglible.

Lol if you think one of the freshman is going to transfer for 100k. 3 out of 4 are from here and the other is Henley who could by end of next year be Murray out of Iowa. Regardless the NIL you are talking about is neglible.
You make good points.

in the white tops/black bottoms jumping up on the raised floor after JOJ's dunk

carrington, ihnen, battle, fox?
if so, they all looked like they are moving well

in the white tops/black bottoms jumping up on the raised floor after JOJ's dunk

carrington, ihnen, battle, fox?
if so, they all looked like they are moving well
They look spry.

Attachments

• 7E9D5D59-D565-4312-8350-3EE943FB17AD.jpeg
    7E9D5D59-D565-4312-8350-3EE943FB17AD.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 13

FWIW - St. Thomas played St Francis on Sunday.

St. Thomas won 84-48.

I am NOT trolling. I know comparative scores often don't tell you much. just passing it along.

impressive game from the Tommies-- their freshmen played really well today against St Francis-- Andrew Rohde is the real deal (Badger fans on twitter are telling him to transfer to the Badgers already) and Kendall Blue had a good game- Ahjany Lee played well too-- he needs to bulk up to handle some physical post play that will be coming his way, but is pretty smooth. Carter Bjerke didn't play, never took his warmup off-- don't know if that is injury or red-shirt.

was there for both games and it seemed like the Gophers won by their athleticism finally getting to St Francis and the Tommie's won by effort and execution. Constant movement on offense leads to layups and postups. I have been a Gophers fan since 78 and a season ticket holder since Monson's last year, so don't need to hear from the "this is not a St Thomas board" people, but if you completely ignore them, you are missing some good basketball. They are fun to watch.
FWIW - St. Thomas played St Francis on Sunday.

St. Thomas won 84-48.

I am NOT trolling. I know comparative scores often don't tell you much. just passing it along.

I was at the St. Thomas game, as well. Very impressive performance. They’re unselfish, and they’re not nearly as reliant on the 3 as they were last year. Attacked the basket all night. They’ve added talent to a solid core of kids (Miller, Bjorklund, Allen) that were recruited to UST as D3 players. And Bjorklund is their best post player, and he didn’t play tonight.

Rohde and Blue can definitely play at a higher level. With the transfer portal stuff Johnny Tauer has his hands full to keep those two around for all four years. There will be major conference coaches trying to poach them. Rohde reminds me of Sam Griesel.

impressive game from the Tommies-- their freshmen played really well today against St Francis-- Andrew Rohde is the real deal (Badger fans on twitter are telling him to transfer to the Badgers already) and Kendall Blue had a good game- Ahjany Lee played well too-- he needs to bulk up to handle some physical post play that will be coming his way, but is pretty smooth. Carter Bjerke didn't play, never took his warmup off-- don't know if that is injury or red-shirt.

was there for both games and it seemed like the Gophers won by their athleticism finally getting to St Francis and the Tommie's won by effort and execution. Constant movement on offense leads to layups and postups. I have been a Gophers fan since 78 and a season ticket holder since Monson's last year, so don't need to hear from the "this is not a St Thomas board" people, but if you completely ignore them, you are missing some good basketball. They are fun to watch.

I don't mind these updates at all. It feels pretty relevant, given we just played St. Francis two days prior. I want to think the Gophers tired them out for the Tommies:ROFLMAO:. Have to tip my cap to the Creighton effort and this blowout win.

It's impressive what they are doing. They played Creighton to a 12 point game.
They played Creighton a lot closer than final score. Refs were heavily in favor of blue jays. I’m indifferent to St Thomas. Heavy senior squad with a lot of freshman.

Top Bottom