***OFFICIAL SOMETHING CALLED USC UPSTATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Nah. You can have disagreements on what we thought an opponent would be like, but the salient point is neither team played liked the were B1G caliber

Well, I'd say that there are other Big Ten teams not playing like Big Ten caliber teams too so there's that. I think you're old enough to realize that you only have to be better than your competition.

Don't worry. I'm sure you'll see it again from other posters during other games.

since this is related to my comment - I was referencing the 3-pt shooting.

Gophers for the game
2-pt attempts - made 18 of 35 - 51.4%
3-pt attempts - made 5 of 23 - 21.7%
------------------------------------------
overall shooting made 23 of 58 - 39.7%

22% is not going to get it done against better opponents.

Well, I'd say that there are other Big Ten teams not playing like Big Ten caliber teams too so there's that. I think you're old enough to realize that you only have to be better than your competition.
If that is what you want your standard to be. Merely being better than an opponent is a low benchmark.

Gophers for the game

That really depends on how well they are playing defense. Many teams win individual games shooting threes poorly once in a while. It’s their defense and rebounding that makes the difference. 22% on the season and it will catch up though. The rough fact is that they don’t play good enough defense to overcome cold shooting.

Gophers for the game

It will if those "better opponents" shoot 21%.
Over the first three games we have seen this team shoot better than they did this afternoon. Every team has those games. Today, the boys put the clamps down in the defensive end to close out this game. It was a good finish for a team that has really struggled to finish games.

We have a number of guys who are still trying to learn each other's tendencies. Games like today are important to learn from. I am encouraged with today's win.
Next up.

If that is what you want your standard to be. Merely being better than an opponent is a low benchmark.

That's a real world standard. Don't know which world you live in. I do wonder, though, if you hold yourself to those same high standards.

Gophers shot sub-normally from 3, and normally would have buried this team earlier.
Don’t like Carrington handling the ball, and when he’s with Mitchell I’m on edge.
Christie needs to be reeled in a bit with the ball and shot selection.
Ihnen played a quietly solid game.
Fox is captain.
I have no problem with Hawkins passes for the most part, as they are usually good attempts. He just can’t drive into a wall esp in btn play.
Would have liked to see Thor, Keinys and Ramberg get some minutes. They are likely pressuribg Keinys to redshirt, and must have reason to do so. His teammate at AZ looks terrific.
Despite MN shooters not hitting today, I think that someone will reliably hit some 3’s as the season progresses. They have 5 guys that won’t all be cold or unable to get space on any given night.
Glad to see the team hitting FTs!
I don't believe the Lithuanian can redshirt, as he has played in one game this year.

I don't believe the Lithuanian can redshirt, as he has played in one game this year.
Redshirting anyone seems like a fools errand these days. Redshirting a European player seems even more foolish. They move around as much if not more than our free transfer guys.

Redshirting anyone seems like a fools errand these days. Redshirting a European player seems even more foolish. They move around as much if not more than our free transfer guys.
He already saw game time so redshirt option is gone anyway

That's a real world standard. Don't know which world you live in. I do wonder, though, if you hold yourself to those same high standards.
So "do better" is just lipservice in your world. Gotcha. Good talk.

After watching some of the other BIG teams, Gophers have a chance IF they play good defense and IF they get mentally stronger. Think they can shoot and rebound well enough.
Don’t think he’s ever going to go more than 9 deep for the most part. Certainly enough to rest players and keep them fresh.

Don’t think he’s ever going to go more than 9 deep for the most part. Certainly enough to rest players and keep them fresh.

Agreed. He might in one or two nonconference games (the upcoming Alcorn State game might be the best candidate) and I'd guess that you might see Jack for a few minutes from time to time.

After watching some of the other BIG teams, Gophers have a chance IF they play good defense and IF they get mentally stronger. Think they can shoot and rebound well enough.
I think you will see Big Jack against Purdue

Agreed. He might in one or two nonconference games (the upcoming Alcorn State game might be the best candidate) and I'd guess that you might see Jack for a few minutes from time to time.
might see several of our smaller players in the next game. AR Pine Bluff sometimes plays 5 guards.

Not mentioned but equally important was getting to the line and shooting over 80%. That will win a lot of close games.

Yep. From bottom of the nation in free throw shooting percentage to second in the conference in free throw shooting percentage (79%) in one year. We are also tied for 3rd in the conference in attempts per game (26.3). That is at least one unequivocal and easily verifiable improvement this season.

Yep. From bottom of the nation in free throw shooting percentage to second in the conference in free throw shooting percentage (79%) in one year. We are also tied for 3rd in the conference in attempts per game (26.3). That is at least one unequivocal and easily verifiable improvement this season.
Very small sample but we must be up fairly high in rebounding and rebound margin.

Very small sample but we must be up fairly high in rebounding and rebound margin.

Good question! According to Team Rankings we are 52nd in the nation in rebounding percentage and third in the Big Ten behind Nebraska and Purdue. Our reported rebounding percentage is 55.1%. Although we outrebounded UTSA and Missouri, we were tied in rebounds with Bethune-Cookman and USC Upstate. Still, that's improvement over the prior two years.

It drives me crazy that he never switches up. Last game especially. I suppose we can hope that this is because he is working on defensive principles in his man defense early in the year. We have enough size and enough athletes to play good defense, we just don't, so far.
You should not have to slide into a zone against USC-Upstate.

Some factors here:
1) We've got improvements so far relative to last year in FT% from Garcia, Ola-Joseph, and Carrington (only slightly in his case, but it is an improvement).
2) Removing some pretty poor FT% guards from the roster in Cooper, Henley, and my namesake; none of them shot better than 63% on FTs last year. Hawkins, on the other hand, has been perfect so far from the line.
3) Payne's relative lack of playing time has also helped this area. Last year Payne took 109 of the team's 512 attempts; this year he's taken only 6 of the team's 105 attempts. (Side note, as you mentioned the big increase in attempts per game: Already about 20% of the total attempts of last season in 4 games!) Payne playing more should help keep the FT attempt rate up, but until proven otherwise, would probably have to project he'll have a negative effect on the total FT%.

Just re-watched the game. SO much room for improvement. Guarding, passing, shooting. Some mistakes on the turnovers and on not getting back, not stopping the ball, seem like they are easily correctable. Not real excited about Christie handling the point. Carrington is a willing defender, but certainly not a shut down one. Hawkins needs to be smarter. Thought he was more active defensively this game. Mitchell is quicker and a better player than I had anticipated. Payne does some nice things, such as protecting the rim at times. Had a couple decent plays when he drove to the hoop. Fox looks to get the ball down and did on a couple of passes. Ihnen only really got beat by his man once, that was late in the game. Garcia does a lot of things well. Not sure if he’s the alpha dog. Really don’t think so. JOJ does the highlight dunks, but picked up those fouls.
Man, hope he gets these guys to play smarter.

Some factors here:
1) We've got improvements so far relative to last year in FT% from Garcia, Ola-Joseph, and Carrington (only slightly in his case, but it is an improvement).
2) Removing some pretty poor FT% guards from the roster in Cooper, Henley, and my namesake; none of them shot better than 63% on FTs last year. Hawkins, on the other hand, has been perfect so far from the line.
3) Payne's relative lack of playing time has also helped this area. Last year Payne took 109 of the team's 512 attempts; this year he's taken only 6 of the team's 105 attempts. (Side note, as you mentioned the big increase in attempts per game: Already about 20% of the total attempts of last season in 4 games!) Payne playing more should help keep the FT attempt rate up, but until proven otherwise, would probably have to project he'll have a negative effect on the total FT%.
Are you the only member of said club?

Just re-watched the game. SO much room for improvement. Guarding, passing, shooting. Some mistakes on the turnovers and on not getting back, not stopping the ball, seem like they are easily correctable. Not real excited about Christie handling the point. Carrington is a willing defender, but certainly not a shut down one. Hawkins needs to be smarter. Thought he was more active defensively this game. Mitchell is quicker and a better player than I had anticipated. Payne does some nice things, such as protecting the rim at times. Had a couple decent plays when he drove to the hoop. Fox looks to get the ball down and did on a couple of passes. Ihnen only really got beat by his man once, that was late in the game. Garcia does a lot of things well. Not sure if he’s the alpha dog. Really don’t think so. JOJ does the highlight dunks, but picked up those fouls.
Man, hope he gets these guys to play smarter.
You only rewatched it once?

Better than last year so far...The puzzle still has a few missing pieces..

Still are not a good shooting team.

I would like to see a definitive offensive set when crunch time happens. I feel Mitchell should be on the floor down the stretch as he is one of our only guards that can beat his guy and create a double.

Garcia disappears at times throughout the game, needs to be engaged the whole game. I would like to see christie play off the ball a little more.

Just my thoughts...

Top Bottom