Official Siena-MN Game Thread

Good win, good opponent, lots to work on. We will miss Devoe in Puerto Rico.

+1. Western Kentucky laid out someone by 20 again. That game scares me. I'm fine going 2-1, but I don't want the 2 to be Hofstra and Nebraska in the loser's bracket. Our non-conference will look brutal.

I'm excited to watch Hollins and Chip develop....good stuff.

outside of Rossiter and Jackson there is like ZERO experience on the Siena roster. We're going to be a pretty good team come March

I hope so. I root for all Gopher non-conference opponents. There's definitely some players there.

I missed most of the game. I caught the last few minutes on-line. It doesn't sound like the Gophers' best night but they W anyway.

It wasn't a shot at you. Just a very Dr. Don quote. A wins always better then a loss and beer's always better when it's cold..yadda yadda.

I really like the boys intensity tonight. They kept it up all game even when down by 11 in the 1st half. My concerns:
#1 free throws... got to get the ball in low and draw the foul then convert
#2 dribbling and passing around the perimeter until getting boxed in at half court with 2 seconds on the shot clock
Overall, I was impressed with our intensity and athleticism. Hollins looks great as a Frosh...Trevor is a beast

This was my first look at the team this year, and I certainly was not impressed. At times, especially in the first half, the team looked disinterested and slow. I saw a few bright spots from varioius guys at times during the game, but the only bright spot that lasted the entire game was Hoffarber's passing. Mbakwe/Williams/Hollins had some good moments, Iverson was aggressive on the boards near the end of the first half, and Nolen/Armelin both had several good plays but were probably the most inconsistent players in a night where almost everyone fit that category.

Some things that stood out

Armelin: Shot selection. It seemed every time Chip made a basket he followed it up with a forced/rushed/bad shot.

Iverson: I thought he was really soft at times tonight. For a very brief stretch at the end of the first half he started to assert himself, but for the most part this was not the guy who came on strong at the end of the year.

Sampson: Like Iverson, except not as surprising that he was not aggressive on the boards/post moves etc. He ran the court well at times, but he needs to be a bigger presence.

Nolen: For a guy who's limited offensively (excluding being our best ball handler by far), he needs to play better defense more consistently.

Hoffarber: Got to find a way to score besides spotting up for 3's. I don't expect this to happen, but it would help the team signifcantly.

Mbakwe: Got some boards this team simply wasn't capable of getting last year.

Hollins: The thing that stood out to me was his drive to the lane. It was refreshing to see someone beat their man off the dribble and finish with a layup (Armelin did this as well).

Overall, the offense looked the same as last year with the team struggling badly to hit anything but wide open 3's out of the set offense. The defense appeared to be worse than last year as Siena had no problem getting good shots and even getting to the rim against the much taller Gophers.

Didn't see any but the last six or seven minutes of the game... but most on the selection committee will see even less than even that of this game. At this point in the season, a win is a win -- especially in the eyes of the committee.

Good game, Gophers!

Congrats on the win. (you coulda covered my -13 though!)

anyways, everyone looking good, devoe sure would help, but still looking solid.

are we gonna see alot of iverson and sampson on the floor together?

Based on the first two games, seems as if the Gs are playing at a level just beyond their opposition...much too early for the driving intensity expected during conference.

PR will be a serious test of what Tubby really has this year: the BT's "sleeper" or "snoozer"?

Huh?

"Hoffarber: Got to find a way to score besides spotting up for 3's. I don't expect this to happen, but it would help the team signifcantly. "

Yeah, Hoffarber led the nation last year in Offensive Rating scoring 133 points for every 100 possessions by playing the way he was coached. What he needs is more possessions and with Westbrook out of the lineup, we might see that.

Just something I was thinking... it must have been hard for the players to concentrate on the Siena game considering they were boarding a plane to Puerto Rico less than 12 hours later. They had to be excited and looking forward to this trip, and between packing and thinking about the next week, it would have been pretty hard to concentrate on the game coming up against a rookie mid-major team.

Hoffarber: Got to find a way to score besides spotting up for 3's. I don't expect this to happen, but it would help the team significantly.

16 points and 7 assists. He's got to do better?

Yeah, Hoffarber led the nation last year in Offensive Rating scoring 133 points for every 100 possessions by playing the way he was coached. What he needs is more possessions and with Westbrook out of the lineup, we might see that.

I'm with you.

Top Bottom