"official" recruiting thread

A news source in South Carolina is reporting that the Gamecocks are now interested in Taikwon Paige but that he has strong interest in the Gophers. To me it is starting to sound like this is going to be a done deal and we are going to have 2 JC CB's joining this recruiting class.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20...8/sports?Title=Spurrier_Eyeing_Several_At_GMA

Rivals has him listed as a 4 star. Looks like he'd be a good get.

Also, Rivals finally ranked Mr. Robinson at 3 stars.

Jeremy Gainer offered by Michigan State

Jeremy Gainer (4* LB from Detroit Area) received an offer from Michigan State today. Prior to this wrinkle, Gainer was planning to take an official visit to Indiana this weekend and then make a final decision between Minnesota & Indiana on Sunday or early next week.

I'm sure he'll visit Michigan State now and it definitely changes the dynamic of the situation.

His cousin, Kenneth Watkins (3* S) has not received an offer from Michigan State but they are going to look at his tape. The two are seen as a package deal.

I've been talking about these two a lot because I really like Gainer and the Watkins doesn't sound like a bad Safety either.

Gainer is 6'1" 215 and is a sprinter in track. His 40 time is 4.56 which is great for a WLB. With Lawrence, Campbell, and likely Triplett--all seniors--as our 3 starting LB's this year I feel like we really need to add some more depth at the position. I'm really looking forward to seeing Maresh, Cooper, Reeves, and Tinsley out there in the future but we can't expect them all to pan out and we need depth in case of injuries.

Watkins is a 6'0" 180 and runs a 4.47 40 yd dash. His speed is already there and ideal size for a safety is about 6'0" and 200 lbs so if we can put 15-25 pounds he'll fit the measurements well.

wow! terrell looks good!

Thought I'd throw these in here for recruiting buffs. Highlights for a couple of kids I coached at Hopkins:

RB Terrell Sinkfield: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jJTQIJAs0
WR Marcus Williams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9blH6GUIZHI

Both are getting low D1 offers (UND, NDSU) and Terrell is close to an offer from Northern Illinois (Coach Hammock apparently put them on to him). I'm surprised they're not getting more looks, but then again, I don't know much about the big-time recruiting game! Anyway, enjoy...I know all us recruiting freaks enjoy highlights :)
MG, that sinkfield highlight video is one of the best i have seen. the quality is good--and dang can terrell fly!
it looks like he may have some moves, some "cutbackability"--but his speed is clear. i remember the knock on AP coming out of AR was that he ran too upright. i don't here anyone talking about that anymore--but it doesn't seem like sinkfield runs upright like AP--he looks much smaller than 6'1". i would like to see him get a shot at RB against some D1 D's to see if he could develop into a shifty RB. but he really looks good in the video and it would be a shame to see him get away.

Are the gophs recruiting sinkfield at all? And if they are is he a legitimate walk-on candidate or would he be more likely to go to a ndsu or north dakota instead?

Are the gophs recruiting sinkfield at all? And if they are is he a legitimate walk-on candidate or would he be more likely to go to a ndsu or north dakota instead?
according to scout.com he has an offer from ndsu. but he is starting to get minnesota's interest. he said that he had to get them his footage, so they are interested.

MG, that sinkfield highlight video is one of the best i have seen. the quality is good--and dang can terrell fly!
it looks like he may have some moves, some "cutbackability"--but his speed is clear. i remember the knock on AP coming out of AR was that he ran too upright. i don't here anyone talking about that anymore--but it doesn't seem like sinkfield runs upright like AP--he looks much smaller than 6'1". i would like to see him get a shot at RB against some D1 D's to see if he could develop into a shifty RB. but he really looks good in the video and it would be a shame to see him get away.

Thanks for watching...I'm glad you liked it!!! We're keeping our fingers crossed that Coach Brewster will like it too :) Yeah, Terrell is an incredible talent, and everything you say is true: he's extremely fast (holds the Section 6 record in the 100), very shifty, and NEVER goes down on first contact (you can see him running through and spinning away from tackles on that film quite a bit). He also has great hands (you see him catch 8-10 on that video and take a couple for TD) AND loves to play defense to boot. Honestly, having worked with him for a few years, I'm shocked he doesn't have a high D1 offer yet.

Honestly, they've talked to him a lot and he's been over there quite a few times, but I don't think they're seriously recruiting him. He might be a "Plan B" for them or something like that, but I doubt they come through with an offer at this point. It's his DREAM to play for the Gophers--he tells me that all the time--so he might consider walking-on. That said, it'd be hard for a kid to turn down full rides to NDSU, UND, and the other schools (like Northern Illinois) that are sure to come through with offers.

Honestly, they've talked to him a lot and he's been over there quite a few times, but I don't think they're seriously recruiting him. He might be a "Plan B" for them or something like that, but I doubt they come through with an offer at this point. It's his DREAM to play for the Gophers--he tells me that all the time--so he might consider walking-on. That said, it'd be hard for a kid to turn down full rides to NDSU, UND, and the other schools (like Northern Illinois) that are sure to come through with offers.

I just watched the Sinkfield video and while it seems very impressive, I wonder if the coaches see mostly bad tackling instead of great RB play. A lot of those long runs had some terrible attempts at a tackle right at the line that a D1 defender would have made (I know this isn't Sinkfield's fault that the opposing defense couldn't make the tackle). I was most impressed with the shorter plays. Those that went for 10-20 yards and where defenders didn't miss tackles showed his desire and ability to get the extra few yards after initial contact. If he put on a few pounds and maintained his elusiveness, he could be a real force. If we don't end up offering, I hope he walks on and earns a scholarship the hard way. Remember, we'll have a lot of scholarships available after this year's junior class graduates.

I just watched the Sinkfield video and while it seems very impressive, I wonder if the coaches see mostly bad tackling instead of great RB play. A lot of those long runs had some terrible attempts at a tackle right at the line that a D1 defender would have made (I know this isn't Sinkfield's fault that the opposing defense couldn't make the tackle).

Good point...and it's hard to tell what the coaches see when they look at film. I trust the coaches, so I'm sure they've seen something which is holding them back. That said, Terrell played in the biggest class you can in Minnesota and against the top teams (Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Wayzata, Rosemount, Edina, etc) so you'd think those teams would have some guys playing at a high level. It's hard to compare a D1 LB to a HS one though, so you're right...a lot of shoddy defense being played in those films.

In Daryl Robinson's GH interview he said that the coaches told him that we were targeting 5 DB's for this class. Next season we will have 3 seniors starting in the defensive backfield so there will be holes. If we bring in 2 Juco's (which now seems likely considering we have one committed & Brewster is meeting with Paige's parents in SC & then Paige in Georgia) it should give the current freshman & the HS recruits plenty of time to learn before we have to count on them. If they're better than the Juco's/Theret/Royston/Collado they will find their way on to the field.

Already committed:
Daryl Robinson CB - Juco
Kerry Lewis DB

Targets being pursued most aggressively:
Kenneth Watkins S
Taikwon Paige CB - Juco
Michael Carter CB

Other potential:
Turmour Battle
Please add more...

Leon is projected as being moved to LB (like Lawrence) so he wouldn't fit in to this group.

Grunkie, I think you're right on, as usual. The more closely I study the Gophers recruiting information the more I feel that this is what our projected 2009 DB class will look like:

Kerry Lewis - FS
Kenneth Watkins - SS
Daryl Robinson - Nickel
Michael Carter - CB
Taikwon Paige - CB

I'm finally getting very optimistic about the chances of Carter choosing the Gophers now that he has announced his top three. With Georgia and Miami being in his top five, along with Florida, it appeared to me that it would have been hard for us to lure him out of the south. Now, when you look at his current top three of Florida, Minnesota and West Virginia I feel that West Virginia would be an unlikely destination. Playing time is obviously a factor for him but he also wants to be with a winning program when you look at his original school list. I don't see WV as being superior to Minnesota. Their program has taken a step back, IMHO. To me, it looks like it's between Florida and Minnesota for him. The fact that he did list WV in his top three gives me confidence that he's very willing to go to a non-Floridian school. I'm sure the momentum Brewster has generated along with the new stadium is going to be an aluring factor in his decision. Unfortunately, Florida still has a need for cornerbacks in this class. I haven't looked too deeply into who they are still aggressively pursuing and what their current depth chart is like. I'm guessing there is lot's of competition there. If he went there his chances of early playing time would be less. I don't know, it just seems like the signs are pointing north!

Gjere

any know who Gjere's 2nd big10 offer came from?

Wisconsin. The report on GI/Rivals was late. He actually had it when Nadine interviewed him at the Gophers vs. Iowa game.

I would put money down that Gjere is the first commit for our 2010 class.

If you haven't read it you should check out the report from the Iowa game.

Bryant Allen

Bryant Allen (Ath) that were are recruiting as a WR is making his decision Dec. 18. Minnesota is one of 6 finalists he listed but the only legitimate threat is Missouri.

I kind of had the same vibe about Gjere, would be nice if he committed before summer. Bummer on Allen, I still think we need a couple guys like him.

Allen

I kind of had the same vibe about Gjere, would be nice if he committed before summer. Bummer on Allen, I still think we need a couple guys like him.

Bummer?

I think we are in pretty good shape to land him. Rationale: He hasn't taken a visit to Kansas that just came in to the picture and he is unlikely to take one by Dec. 18 (bball tournament this weekend)--eliminate Kansas because I doubt he'll commit with 1.5 months to signing day sight unseen. He has consistently said that he wants to play in a wide open spread offense (eliminate Wisconsin & Iowa). That leaves Illinois State, Minnesota, and Missouri. Illinois State seems like a stretch when you have two offers from legitimate BCS conference schools. Finalists, Minnesota & Missouri.

He said that he was leaning one way...then he said he wanted to take one more trip to Missouri on Dec. 12 when they are hosting all of the local recruits. That trip would either be to give them another chance or to make sure that Missouri is his choice. His comments about the Minnesota coaches, and his parents' feelings, seemed the warmer than the impression of Missouri.

We'll find out Dec. 18 so the mystery doesn't have to go on too long.

Jimmy Gjere is an All State offensive lineman from Irondale and one of the top 2010 prospects out of Minnesota. Seantrel Henderson is going to be the #1 OL prospect in Minnesota and the entire country but Gjere is likely to be the #2 OL prospect in the state. Gjere will probably be a 3 star recruit when Rivals gets around to ranking the 2010 prospects.

In your non-partial opinion, what are the chances we have a shot with this Henderson kid? Kind of seems like a daunting task to land the top OL prospect in the country? Having Davis will prolly help though.

Praise from some of the scouts have included such comments as "Seantrel is not only the best lineman in the junior class, he would have been the most highly rated lineman in the past few classes." Given that we are hearing that he will likely be the #1-3 rated recruit in the entire class.

As you might expect he has over 20 offers. He is focusing on Florida, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin--in alphabetical order. I read one article a few months ago where his dad said that they really were interested in USC. Pete Carroll is probably the only coach in the country that didn't jump on that and give an offer upon hearing that (California has a really good crop of lineman so he may just be focusing on local talent).

From what Seantrel has said he has legitimate interest in staying home and playing for the Gophers and he has said Minnesota will be in his top 5. That being said, Seantrel would be the most highly rated recruit Minnesota has ever brought in to the program and it would be a monumental achievement. Even if we are lucky enough to pull Sheldon Richardson (#1 DT, #5 overall) this year, Seantrel would be an even bigger win.

Adding Tim Davis as Offensive Line Coach is not going to hurt either. He has recruited great players to USC and turned them in to NFL players as well as coaching o-line in the NFL. From what I understand, on Davis first day of work he went to Arizona to recruit Taylor Lewan (2009 4 star OT recruit) before even making his way up to Minnesota. On his second day of work he was spotted in the halls of CDH to meet with Seantrel Henderson.

If I had to put a probability on it I would say we were 10%-15% prior to Davis and now we are a 25% probability of landing him which is higher than anybody else that has given him an offer.

I thought this was the OFFICIAL recruiting thread??????.........

Ok so with Wills and Watkins on board now we are at 17 verbals. Allen decides in 2 days, Leon, and Paige are still targets. McNeal and Carter will decide at the AA game, correct? Gainer is still being targeted, however it is looking like MSU is coming on strong for him too now. Who else are the gophers targeting now?

Allen visited KU this weekend... loved it... will decide in two days. Think this will be a Minnesota/Kansas battle here.

Minnesota/Kansas battle for Allen just like Brodrick Smith last year.....

Just had to throw that out there

Nanne on plane from Detroit with Brewster

Lou was on with Barreiro tonight and mention he was on a plane with Brewster on his way back from Detroit. Nanne said Brewster was returning from a "real successful recruiting trip" there today.

I am loving the sound of that!

Lou was on with Barreiro tonight and mention he was on a plane with Brewster on his way back from Detroit. Nanne said Brewster was returning from a "real successful recruiting trip" there today.

I am loving the sound of that!

who is in detroit that we are after?

Kansas never offered Brodrick Smith. Kansas State did though and wanted him quite bad. Honestly I would have liked landing Brodrick as I'm good friends with his uncle Eric. KU had verbals early on from Daymond Patterson and a juco in Rod Harris and I'm not entirely sure KU even recruited Brodrick as a WR, but rather a Safety.

lost Gainer, picked up Allen. Allen seems like a great fit for this offense. He may lack size but we could really use his speed and quickness. Great pick up.

Top Bottom