***OFFICIAL PENN STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

But stevens is a bitch. Talked too much trash and it came back and bit him
Yes he did talk a lot of smack. Regarding the first part when I watched live I missed that Stevens said stuff to Daniel, then Daniel goes ham and calls him bitch so he agrees with you. With Stevens starting it, I guess all good. Rematch is going to be fun!

So, some posters have said Gabe is having a harder time this year because defenses are keying on him and making him take tougher, closer guarded shots. I'm wondering if anyone thinks that with the way Carr is playing that teams may start to focus on him more, which could get Gabe some better looks?

Still think the defense is better with Williams in there instead of Willis and I also think Willis was playing better coming off the bench. Wouldn't hurt to have a 3pt shooter who can come in and knock a few down when the team is struggling from three.

Wow. That’s great to hear coming from a poster such as yourself! I agree about the defense. It would also be huge if Kalscheur started making shots again.

He was 3/4 inside the 3-pt line, it's looking like the 3-pt line modification is really impacting willis and kalschuer at this point, maybe they need to change there shot selection until they adjust to the new 3-pt line and the way they are defended.

So, some posters have said Gabe is having a harder time this year because defenses are keying on him and making him take tougher, closer guarded shots. I'm wondering if anyone thinks that with the way Carr is playing that teams may start to focus on him more, which could get Gabe some better looks?
Gabes problem is that he is just missing wide open shots...he is getting plenty of decents looks....he just needs to keep shooting but hes gotta get his confidence back. Shooters, unless your Steph Curry, are always streaky.

He was 3/4 inside the 3-pt line, it's looking like the 3-pt line modification is really impacting willis and kalschuer at this point, maybe they need to change there shot selection until they adjust to the new 3-pt line and the way they are defended.

At least on the offensive end, Gabe has been flat out terrible in conference this year. He has a .334 True Shooting Percentage in conference. To put that in perspective, Isaiah Washington had a .381 True Shooting Percentage in conference last year. His overall player efficiency rating in conference is 2.2. Hurt is the only player on the team with a lower one.

But, yes, you are right about the twos vs. the threes. In conference, Gabe is hitting two point shots at a .522 clip but threes only at .163. Of course, he takes 2 1/2 times more threes than twos. I know analytics favor the three but if things aren't working it's time to adjust what you are doing.

he just needs to keep shooting but hes gotta get his confidence back. Shooters, unless your Steph Curry, are always streaky.

How about he gets his confidence back in practice? In the meantime, he can settle for more two point shots that he's actually hitting at a fair rate.

Gabe had a number of open looks in the first half and didn't make one.

I agree that Gabe is just off. It may be a combination of moving the line and his head getting in the way. I watched him in 2nd half warm up. He hit 5 threes in a row, missed and then hit 4 more. Can’t do it in flow of game though.

How about he gets his confidence back in practice? In the meantime, he can settle for more two point shots that he's actually hitting at a fair rate.
yup, I agree. he has a nice touch on his mid range shot as well. That's a great way to get confidence back as well
bottom line, we need him to take some scoring pressure off of Carr and Oturu. So I don't care if he gets that with 3 pointers or 2 pointers

I agree that Gabe is just off. It may be a combination of moving the line and his head getting in the way. I watched him in 2nd half warm up. He hit 5 threes in a row, missed and then hit 4 more. Can’t do it in flow of game though.
I agree! He'll start hitting shots again. Like you said he's just alittle off. He's obviously capable of going for 30 on any given night so im not that worried. Better yet, his coach isn't that worried either. We've won despite his shooting, now let's hope he gets hot on the road for us against rutgers and ohio state.

Teams are focused on stopping Oturu and Carr first. Chambers said as much in his post game conference, then admitted that they still couldn't stop them. Gabe is getting looks, he's just not making them. If Gabe and Willis start making 3's, look out, this team could make a serious run.

In the recent games I have seen, Carr is the best PG the gophers have had since Jackson. Pump in a little more, "I want to want to win" and "I won't let us lose" and the sky is the limit. Great energy from the young man...keep it up.

Teams are focused on stopping Oturu and Carr first. Chambers said as much in his post game conference, then admitted that they still couldn't stop them. Gabe is getting looks, he's just not making them. If Gabe and Willis start making 3's, look out, this team could make a serious run.
Gabe is putting too much pressure on himself. A little less thinking and the shots will fall. He needs to keep shooting and continue practicing getting shots up in tight spaces and coming off of fast movement. He is a good shooter and a smart player...no doubt he will figure it out.

With Gabe's form I still feel more confident with him shooting than with Willis. It also seems to me like Willis shoots deeper 3's than Gabe?

Some thoughts...

1) Just got done going through this entire thread. Some of you were complaining about the environment in the 1st half. I was at the game. Maybe if you want the environment to be better, you should get your butts in seats, especially after the really cheap $15 deal that included a beer. Just a friendly thought. Also, Penn St did a great job of taking the crowd out of the game. They were on fire, and the Gophers weren't exactly playing good defense. In the second half, the crowd kept wanting to get into it, and once the Gophers locked down on D, it was a great atmosphere. The rouser was loud. Multiple Penn St players were looking in the crowd during the chant (always love seeing that). The second half was fun, until...
2) The refs destroyed what should have been a celebratory (comeback) win. The crowd was jacked in the second half, and the terrible calls (and no-calls) and long video reviews killed the environment for the fans AND PLAYERS. No one was excited anymore after the game. Just sucked the life out of the place. What a shame.
3) I'm shocked at how demonstrative Stevens was. I watch a ton of college basketball, and for the most part, he's pretty reserved. I wonder if it had to do with last year's game at the Barn. Stevens missed an open buzzer beating game-winning jumper (I was at that game too). They also lost to us in the Big Ten tournament. Maybe this was a revenge game for him, especially since that was his last time in the Barn. Anyways, ESPN should probably do what they can to pick up the rubber match, because it's going to be must-watch tv now.
4) The crowd (knowing his shooting struggles) were ready to emphatically cheer after every Gabe three. The problem is, I remember only 1 of 7 being close. The rest klanked off the rim and weren't close. I don't mind if Pitino trusts that Gabe will get out of his slump, but then Gabe has to be excellent at everything else during this time. I'm talking defense, rebounds (he did get 7 last night), assists, effort, diving on the floor... etc. My dad and I noticed that he was very lazy at times getting down the court in the 1st half and beginning of the 2nd half, and gave up multiple threes and layups (some on backdoor cuts). I like Gabe. The team needs him, but I would like to see him help the team more in other areas during his shooting slump.
5) Duke and Kentucky lost on back-to-back nights. Awesome... :)

Some thoughts...

1) Just got done going through this entire thread. Some of you were complaining about the environment in the 1st half. I was at the game. Maybe if you want the environment to be better, you should get your butts in seats, especially after the really cheap $15 deal that included a beer. Just a friendly thought. Also, Penn St did a great job of taking the crowd out of the game. They were on fire, and the Gophers weren't exactly playing good defense. In the second half, the crowd kept wanting to get into it, and once the Gophers locked down on D, it was a great atmosphere. The rouser was loud. Multiple Penn St players were looking in the crowd during the chant (always love seeing that). The second half was fun, until...
2) The refs destroyed what should have been a celebratory (comeback) win. The crowd was jacked in the second half, and the terrible calls (and no-calls) and long video reviews killed the environment for the fans AND PLAYERS. No one was excited anymore after the game. Just sucked the life out of the place. What a shame.
3) I'm shocked at how demonstrative Stevens was. I watch a ton of college basketball, and for the most part, he's pretty reserved. I wonder if it had to do with last year's game at the Barn. Stevens missed an open buzzer beating game-winning jumper (I was at that game too). They also lost to us in the Big Ten tournament. Maybe this was a revenge game for him, especially since that was his last time in the Barn. Anyways, ESPN should probably do what they can to pick up the rubber match, because it's going to be must-watch tv now.
4) The crowd (knowing his shooting struggles) were ready to emphatically cheer after every Gabe three. The problem is, I remember only 1 of 7 being close. The rest klanked off the rim and weren't close. I don't mind if Pitino trusts that Gabe will get out of his slump, but then Gabe has to be excellent at everything else during this time. I'm talking defense, rebounds (he did get 7 last night), assists, effort, diving on the floor... etc. My dad and I noticed that he was very lazy at times getting down the court in the 1st half and beginning of the 2nd half, and gave up multiple threes and layups (some on backdoor cuts). I like Gabe. The team needs him, but I would like to see him help the team more in other areas during his shooting slump.

Excellent recap here.

Gabe will find his stroke.

The rematch definitely will be nasty. Stevens, Oturu, and Watkins all were talking a lot of smack. The Big Ten better assign their strongest refs to the next meeting. It was dang close to getting physical.

I, too, was stunned with how Stevens played in the second half. He’s a really good player, but he completely disappeared in the second half. I thought just the opposite would happen. Perhaps he got too caught up in all the yapping that was going on?

Excellent recap here.

The rematch definitely will be nasty. Stevens, Oturu, and Watkins all were talking a lot of smack. The Big Ten better assign their strongest refs to the next meeting. It was dang close to getting physical.

I, too, was stunned with how Stevens played in the second half. He’s a really good player, but he completely disappeared in the second half. I thought just the opposite would happen. Perhaps he got too caught up in all the yapping that was going on?

Only the really special smack talkers can keep their play elevated while the smack continues.

Was so proud of Oturu for standing up for himself. He needs some teammates to have his back though

Great atmosphere last night. I love it when the crowd turns on the ref's. The little guy (ref) was going back n forth with some fans next to me. He seemed to have a good sense of humor despite being terrible at his job.

Shooters need to shoot. He adjusted his shot selection in the PSU game after missing. Data shows he will come back at some point to his regular self

I thought at the end of the game during the line Omersa got into it with one of the guys and a coach from PSU pushed him back. He was helping Oturu out some.

I've said that he hadn't been getting as many clean looks, but last night he missed several wide-open shots. Not sure what's going on with him, but he needs to turn it around. A third reliable piece to go along with Oturu and Carr would be lethal.

Great atmosphere last night. I love it when the crowd turns on the ref's. The little guy (ref) was going back n forth with some fans next to me. He seemed to have a good sense of humor despite being terrible at his job.
It was just an awful crew. No call was safe from getting fouled up.

Some thoughts...

WAIT!!!

Referees DO NOT have any impact on the outcome of games.

Excellent recap here.

The last thing we need is Stevens baiting Oturu into doing something that will get him suspended.

on Kalscheur - IMHO he is not the kind of guy who can create his own shot. He needs to get the ball in rhythm in an offense that has a lot of ball movement and reversing of direction so Kalscheur can get in position and be ready to shoot.

With the Gophs, there are times when they show good ball movement, but there are also stretches where it looks like the offense consists of A. Carr drives to the basket or B. Oturu takes a post feed and backs down opponent.

when guys don't get the ball for long stretches, they can get anxious, rush the shot and their mechanics can be off. I would like to see better ball movement in the offense and not have Carr and Oturu be the only guys touching the ball on so many possessions.

100% right, Gabe can NOT create his own shot. I doubt you can find the stats but feels like when he is not 100% set he shoots roughly 8%, while when he is totally set and gets a pass its about 75% good. I think this is so weird, sure maybe not as effective but his splits are crazy.

And as nice as it is to have 2 guys like Carr/Oturu leading the way, we absolutely have to have one (two would be better) of Gabe/Willis/Williams to get going consistently. That is one thing Demir has brought, hes been steady eddy out there the last 5-8 games, those 3 wings are just all over the place with production.

100% right, Gabe can NOT create his own shot. I doubt you can find the stats but feels like when he is not 100% set he shoots roughly 8%, while when he is totally set and gets a pass its about 75% good. I think this is so weird, sure maybe not as effective but his splits are crazy.

I've seen him drive to the basket and hit a shorter jumper before. He's capable of doing that so maybe he should try that a little more often. He doesn't have to be as one-dimensional as he sometimes plays.

Top Bottom