***OFFICIAL PENN STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Positives. PAYNE and JOJ played very well. Garcia played solid. The team was engaged. Offense moved the ball better.

Negatives. Carrington and Henley look awful (as do basically every G on our team). Defense wasn't good. FT shooting still abysmal.

At the end of the day it was better than the last few, but we just lost at home to a team that was 6-9 in conference with one road win. Just shows how far we are from even being competent. I again thought Ben failed the team with a few bad subs in the first half and letting Henley play way too much. I think at this point 1-19 is almost a near certainty. Is it the start of the '24-25 season yet??

Positives. PAYNE and JOJ played very well. Garcia played solid. The team was engaged. Offense moved the ball better.

Negatives. Carrington and Henley look awful (as do basically every G on our team). Defense wasn't good. FT shooting still abysmal.

At the end of the day it was better than the last few, but we just lost at home to a team that was 6-9 in conference with one road win. Just shows how far we are from even being competent. I again thought Ben failed the team with a few bad subs in the first half and letting Henley play way too much. I think at this point 1-19 is almost a near certainty. Is it the start of the '24-25 season yet??
It's like a football team with OK RB's and defense but no QB. No matter how well the rest of the team plays, you will probably lose. Ben desperately needs to pull a Vince Grier/Deandre Mathieu out of the portal or it won't get much better.

It's like a football team with OK RB's and defense but no QB. No matter how well the rest of the team plays, you will probably lose. Ben desperately needs to pull a Vince Grier/Deandre Mathieu out of the portal or it won't get much better.
I think that is vastly underselling it. We need a Ja Morant or Tyrese Haliburton top 10 pick guy at PG

Is there anybody still here who believes we would not have beaten Iowa with Garcia playing?

unfortunate side is this may come down to free throws and we know how that has been all season. first time watching in awhile and they've clearly grown. would be nice to pull this one off
Free throw shooting matches the coaching they are receiving! Pretty simple.

JOJ started fantastic but he got roughed up pretty badly on the defensive end

Henley played a pretty decent floor game but cannot make a shot fall.

JOJ started fantastic but he got roughed up pretty badly on the defensive end

Six assists is a very decent floor game.

They’re playing Henley at the 2, and he’s shooting 33% from 2, 25% from 3, and 57% FT. A shooting guard that can’t shoot is less than ideal.

At least he has foot speed and lateral quickness. He has potential, but if we were a credible team, this year he’d be playing about as much as TT is playing.

They’re playing Henley at the 2, and he’s shooting 33% from 2, 25% from 3, and 57% FT. A shooting guard that can’t shoot is less than ideal.

At least he has foot speed and lateral quickness. He has potential, but if we were a credible team, he’d be playing about as much as TT is playing.
I noticed that too.

Tonight the game turned when Battle couldn't hit the 3 point shot with 3:30 to go that would have tied it. It just seems all year he can't make that big shot. The crowd would have gone crazy Penn State went down and scored and opened it up to 5 points and that may be as close as we got from there. Good effort, better crowd than I have seen this year and some positives in this one.

At least he has foot speed and lateral quickness. He has potential, but if we were a credible team, this year he’d be playing about as much as TT is playing.
100% right. I like him for the future. He needs to become a shot maker.

That might be the worst fucking call of this entire season right there on Garcia. And the game has completely turned around ever since. What a fucking joke basketball refs are.
I thought this might happen the moment it was called, and sure enough. It was the millstone around the Gophers' neck that they couldn't recover from. No amount of makeup calls made up for this.

That's two games--this and Indiana--where a well-called second half makes the difference for the Gophs.

I am not sure handing Garcia the ball and watching him score is truly an assist. Watching Henley is painful
Payne had six assists, Cooper eight. Were all those bogus too? Or just Henley's?

This is so fucking stupid.

We just lost to Penn State with Garcia.

This team is awful. At full strength.
What is stupid is that you are too dumb to realize Iowa shot under 30% that night and was beatable with Garcia in the game. Penn St. shot just under 50% and made 10 threes. And, yes, despite shooting well they were also beatable had Battle not continued his 0 forever streak on threes.

Note, Battle is not himself this year with both physical and mental issues. Not holding him up for blame because he is forced to play in not good health. It's just a fact.

Tonight the game turned when Battle couldn't hit the 3 point shot with 3:30 to go that would have tied it. It just seems all year he can't make that big shot. The crowd would have gone crazy Penn State went down and scored and opened it up to 5 points and that may be as close as we got from there. Good effort, better crowd than I have seen this year and some positives in this one.
That hurt but the charging call against Garcia ended up being a 10 point change they couldn't come back from. Terrible call.

Negatives. Carrington and Henley look awful (as do basically every G on our team).
Henley had 5 assists and only 2 TOs; his shot selection is still something that needs vast improvement. He’s going to be on the team next year, d so o who would you rather see get his minutes and why - Samuels or Ramberg?
Carrington has had a bum wheel all year long, but he was Mr. buckets and really is an incomplete thus year - let’s see what happens. Next year.
Defense wasn't good. FT shooting still abysmal.

At the end of the day it was better than the last few, but we just lost at home to a team

Gophers future depends on Henley, Carrington or Christie working out. The team has nothing now. So let one of them play and learn.

We have 5 games left. I'll take the unknown of Christie over Carrington and Henley. This was a winnable game and playing Henley 33 minutes is coach malpractice.

Top Bottom