***OFFICIAL PENN ST AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I’m feeding the troll but I’m guessing if Carrington plays, he makes a difference on at least three of the nine three pointers in the first half and we don’t get behind by 23. Just a thought from one of the morons who know nothing about basketball 🏀
Finally you admit it! 🤣

Puff Johnson's mom, Amy Johnson, gave him the nickname Puff, because he liked the cereal Cocoa Puffs.

"She says I like Cocoa Puffs, but I don't know if that's a true story," Puff Johnson said to 247Sports. "I really don't know."
The funny thing about that though — so my mom tells me to this day, she always tells me this, she said, 'If I could go back in time, I'd never give you the nickname Puff.' And I said, 'Why?' She was like, 'Because I really like your name Donovan,'" Puff Johnson said to 247Sports in January.

But does he believe in space?

The lack of basketball knowledge on here is astounding. The irony in all of this is Minnesota does well when Mike is involved. The reason we had an amazing comeback today is two-fold. 1. Ben was forced to play a shortened rotation. 2. Carrington was out. If Carrington played today and took minutes from any of our guards, we lose by double digits.

You didn't mention anything about Garcia hitting the bench early in the first half with foul trouble where he sat and sat until the next half.

When he came back, ta da!

They don't lose if Carrington plays. Yikes!

You didn't mention anything about Garcia hitting the bench early in the first half with foul trouble where he sat and sat until the next half.

When he came back, ta da!

They don't lose if Carrington plays. Yikes!
Ok. They don’t score enough offensively with him on the floor.

Well, again I'd prefer a nice comfy 40 min win ha but they make it interesting! Easy to hang in there with a hot PSU start. Would be great if we could sneak up to the 5/6 seed to avoid Pur/Illinois in the BTT
I'd rather we play either of those two after a win and them not having played than meeting either of them on Saturday.

The lack of basketball knowledge on here is astounding. The irony in all of this is Minnesota does well when Mike is involved. The reason we had an amazing comeback today is two-fold. 1. Ben was forced to play a shortened rotation. 2. Carrington was out. If Carrington played today and took minutes from any of our guards, we lose by double digits.
Speaking of a lack of basketball knowledge...

Such a bizarre take. The Gophers are much better with a 4 guard rotation. Playing the starters 37-40 minutes is not sustainable or realistic.

Carrington playing meaningful minutes makes the whole team better, including your boy Mike.

Wasn't able to watch the game live because we were out for my wife's birthday. Was checking score and couldn't believe the way PSU was running away with it.

Watched the recording of the game and it was quite the comeback. Pretty amazing what this team is capable of when they kick it into high gear.

9-9 with 2 to go. Here's hoping they can take down Indiana and Northwestern and then head into the Big Ten Tournament on a hot streak.

After hitting 8 of their first 9 3-pointers, Penn State went 3-14 the rest of the way.

Also, the Gophers ended up 24-27 from the line (Fox, Hawkins & Mitchell with 1 miss each).

Who is your guy? I am sure that will explain a lot.
Payne, Christie, Hawkins and Garcia.

Mitchell has his moments but overall I think if we want a tournament bid next year and to go anywhere with it, you need to upgrade that spot. Mitchell could be very effective coming in off the bench.

Last edited:

Had to finish the game out on the radio while on the road. Sounds like we just chipped and chipped away. That Christie NBA 3 bomb was big time. Place looked like it was wild after that from highlights.

Down 23 in the first half, I figured we'd make it interesting but didn't think we'd get over the hump.

Ben and the boys stopping me from going too far into negative town. Impressive comeback.

Payne, Christie, Hawkins and Garcia.

Mitchell has his moments but overall I think if we want a tournament bid next year and to go anywhere with it, you need to upgrade that spot. Mitchell could be very effective coming in off the bench.
Mitchell is a nice piece on a team. He's a bulldog, gets steals and would not be fun to play against when he is engaged like he was today. He has a little bit too quick of a trigger on shots for my taste but otherwise- he has been pretty valuable. I think Asuma is going to play and be pretty solid. What we lack is a 6-6 guy that can go to the hole- is there a Vince Grier out there?

Mitchell is a nice piece on a team. He's a bulldog, gets steals and would not be fun to play against when he is engaged like he was today. He has a little bit too quick of a trigger on shots for my taste but otherwise- he has been pretty valuable. I think Asuma is going to play and be pretty solid. What we lack is a 6-6 guy that can go to the hole- is there a Vince Grier out there?
I've quickly learned that I'm one of the few that isn't totally on the Mitchell wagon. It just seems to me that on a good team, Mitchell is a guy you bring off the bench. I don't trust him. He does make open shots and he has ability no doubt, I'm just not there with him. I'll probably eat those words next year.

Agreed that would be great. I really think Ben will be able to bring in quality guys after the showing this year. Ben can recruit, and he's finally got floor product that can show potential targets that he might just be able to get us to those higher places.

Best crowd of the season?

Looked great on TV.

Was a terrific comeback! Had serious doubts, but MN got turnovers, defended and made shots. Put the Christie NBA talk to bed. He’s not even close to being a first round pick. Too weak to the rim, defense is average. Just stop.

Ahhh...JOJ? If he can get his confidence back and produce on the defensive front....

Was a terrific comeback! Had serious doubts, but MN got turnovers, defended and made shots. Put the Christie NBA talk to bed. He’s not even close to being a first round pick. Too weak to the rim, defense is average. Just stop.
Weight room and ball handle improvement, he'll be ready then.

I've quickly learned that I'm one of the few that isn't totally on the Mitchell wagon. It just seems to me that on a good team, Mitchell is a guy you bring off the bench. I don't trust him. He does make open shots and he has ability no doubt, I'm just not there with him. I'll probably eat those words next year.

Agreed that would be great. I really think Ben will be able to bring in quality guys after the showing this year. Ben can recruit, and he's finally got floor product that can show potential targets that he might just be able to get us to those higher places.
I agree that in an ideal situation Mitchell is your 6th man off the bench as opposed to a starter. He is aggressive and willing to shoot (even if he doesn't always take the best shots), but he is also on the smaller side and with Hawkins as your other guard it would be nice to have a little more size in the back court. Especially when you run up against a team like Illinois with their gigantic guards.

Oh yeah he's definitely not ready IMO, but if he's getting late 1st round grades after this season, you can't really blame him if he leaves. And it's a very weak draft this year. If he goes 25th he's looking at a 4-year deal worth about $13.5 million.
Geezuz! That’s damn near as much as I make.

While I am mostly sure it is just a combination of better defense, coincidence and a function of "things even out over time" when it comes down to three-point shooting, but there is an interesting dynamic regarding which end of the court the shots are taken. PSU shot 9-13 (first half), the Gophers 4-9 (2nd half) at the end of the floor opposite of the student section - total of 13-22 (59%). Gophers shot 1-11 (first half), PSU 2-10 (second half) at the end of the floor in front of the student section for a total of 3-21 (14%).

After hitting 8 of their first 9 3-pointers, Penn State went 3-14 the rest of the way.

Also, the Gophers ended up 24-27 from the line (Fox, Hawkins & Mitchell with 1 miss each).
5 of the 7 guys that seem to be in the regular rotation going forward are shooting 77%+ from the free throw line.

Top Bottom