***OFFICIAL OHIO STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-BATTLE THREAD!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
Thursday night is going to be a BATTLE!!! One team has transfers making a big impact as they have a shot at the NCAA Tournament. The other team has a transfer who is on the team who's coach was fired this season for not winning enough. One of these transfers is not taking the high road.

I hope traitors get booo'd badly. Loudly. And often.

A win should be expected. A win would be fantastic.

GET 'ER DONE JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben can use Battle as an example at the end of the season to talk to the team about the pro's/con's of the transfer portal. Sure hope most of the team eligible to stay does just that. Tonight? Let's win this.

Ben can use Battle as an example at the end of the season to talk to the team about the pro's/con's of the transfer portal. Sure hope most of the team eligible to stay does just that. Tonight? Let's win this.
and Henley

Gophers can potentially jump OSU in NET with a win. Since this is a Q1 game for the buckeyes, they probably wouldn't drop too much however. OSU at 66, Gophers now up to 73.

This is a MUST WIN!!

Problem is Ohio State's entire roster is playing to keep their scholarships with a coaching change in the process.

Here's hoping Ohio State comes out flat after the big upset over Purdue and we can jump on them quickly.....or maybe with this team we actually don't want that.....so revise that....we play an even first half with them and then the Purdue hangover kicks in to start the second half and we blow them out of the Barn in the second half.

Can't let this game slip, gotta get the win. There is much enthusiasm right now which means we typically lose the upcoming game. Time for Ben to end the cycle and show this team has grown. Gophers clearly the better team since our first meeting with OSU. Let's prove it on the court. Go Gophers!

Go Gophers!!

Play tenacious D and hit a few shots and we win!

this will not be an easy game....OSU played pretty well against Purdue.

Can't let this game slip, gotta get the win. There is much enthusiasm right now which means we typically lose the upcoming game. Time for Ben to end the cycle and show this team has grown. Gophers clearly the better team since our first meeting with OSU. Let's prove it on the court. Go Gophers!
All about defense. Gophers were miserable in the first meeting but it has been the calling card in big wins. Carrington needs to keep Thornton from going off. As I recall, he completely dominated Hawkins backing him down the whole first half.

Go Gophers!!

Play tenacious D and hit a few shots and we win!

this will not be an easy game....OSU played pretty well against Purdue.
I mean are there really any easy games once you hit conference play?

Hopefully the ridiculous home/road split across the conference continues and we get the W.

STACK 'EM!

Ugh, another Thursday night game when I have a show means that I won't be able to watch until about 10pm tonight.

I'm a night owl anyways, but it means I have to stay off of everything until I can watch.

All about defense. Gophers were miserable in the first meeting but it has been the calling card in big wins. Carrington needs to keep Thornton from going off. As I recall, he completely dominated Hawkins backing him down the whole first half.
Yes. I agree this is a key to the game. Thornton is much stronger than Hawkins and dominated him, taking him to the hoop in the first game. Putting BC on him would be a good move, as Braedon is about 4 inches taller and maybe nearly as strong. In addition, little question that Ben (and Garcia) know Battles vulnerabilities.

Yes. I agree this is a key to the game. Thornton is much stronger than Hawkins and dominated him, taking him to the hoop in the first game. Putting BC on him would be a good move, as Braedon is about 4 inches taller and maybe nearly as strong. In addition, little question that Ben (and Garcia) know Battles vulnerabilities.
Carrington probably has closer to 5 inches on Hawkins. Won't be surprised to see him matched up on Thronton when he is in the game.

Big key to that first meeting with Ohio State is that shot the ball insanely well from 3 (over 50%) and we didn't (around 25%). Hopefully we flip those percentages tonight.

Carrington probably has closer to 5 inches on Hawkins. Won't be surprised to see him matched up on Thronton when he is in the game.

Big key to that first meeting with Ohio State is that shot the ball insanely well from 3 (over 50%) and we didn't (around 25%). Hopefully we flip those percentages tonight.
Apologize for not being clear, was referring to height/strength differential between a Arrington and Thornton. I believe Thornton is slightly taller and certainly stronger tan Hawkins.

And yes, very good point about the 3s

Carrington needs to keep Thornton from going off. As I recall, he completely dominated Hawkins backing him down the whole first half.

Yes, this is a night where Carrington may need to play more minutes than usual. I've been pretty happy with the performance of our guards but ------- Mitchell is listed at 6'2" and 185, Christie is listed at 6'6" and 190, and Hawkins is listed at 5'11" and 160.

Thornton is listed at 6'2" and 215 while Gayle is listed at 6'4" and 205. They may be only sophs but they're good and definitely have those P6 frames.

I think we have the advantage in the front line.

On paper:
MN: 16-9/7-7 -- 14-3 at home
OSU: 15-11/5-10 -- 0-7 on the road

the bookies say: MN is a 3.5-pt favorite. Over/under is 139.5 (so Gophers win 71-68 or 72-68)

But-- OSU is 2-4 against ranked teams, so they have pulled off upsets.

get the Tums and the Rolaids ready - I sense another stomach-churning affair that goes down to the final possession. and the refs will spend 5 minutes replaying an out-of-bounds call with less than a minute to play.

I asked ChatGPT to write a poem about Battle. Not bad I say, not bad at all...

In the shadows of regret, Battle stands, A lone figure in a scarlet wasteland. Once a Gopher, now an Ohio State pawn, Regret and sorrow, his heart is drawn.

The hardwood echoes with each painful step, As Battle realizes the depth of his misstep. The Maroon and Gold, a memory so sweet, Now replaced by regret, a bitter defeat.

The cheers of the Gophers, a haunting melody, As they dominate, a relentless symphony. The Buckeyes falter, Battle in dismay, A painful reminder of the price to pay.

In every missed shot, in every failed attempt, The weight of his decision, a burden unkempt. The glory he sought in scarlet attire, Now drowned in the Gophers' relentless fire.

His former teammates, a brotherhood strong, In the Gophers' unity, where he belonged. A solitary figure, with no one to share, The misery of a choice beyond repair.

As the scoreboard declares a resounding win, Gophers rejoice, Battle wallows in sin. In the aftermath of this bitter defeat, Regret consumes him, a bitter sweet.

The Maroon and Gold, victorious and gleaming, In Battle's eyes, a reflection of dreaming. For in the realm of basketball lore, His transfer choice, a misery to endure.

The Gophers triumph, their banner unfurled, As Battle stands, a lone figure in the world. A cautionary tale, a lesson profound, In the echoes of regret, where he's bound.

Top Bottom