***OFFICIAL NEBRASKA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I had a lot of fun bringing my 7 year old and his two buddies to the game today. Trying to do my part to get the next generation into it. I love the Barn and the boys had a great time. For an 11am tip and a lot of empty seats, I thought the energy was decent from the crowd. Players certainly seemed to play hard.

Iā€™ve been down on CBJ this year. Last year I was into the team, but Johnson just seems to be disappointing me this year. As others have said in this thread, you could just feel the momentum shift when he took Henley out for Samuels. Really weird.

One of the funniest moments was towards the end Garcia drove toward the basket and it didnā€™t work and my 7 year old screamed ā€œhe always goes left!ā€ and the guy behind us laughed and said ā€œeven a little kid sees thatā€ šŸ˜†

I am by no means sold on CBJ and if we seriously donā€™t win a Big Ten game this year, thatā€™s just awful, but players seemed to play hard for him today and there are some young guys I was impressed with and will be rooting for now: Payne will be a stud. I liked Ola-Joseph and Henley was great.

I had a lot of fun bringing my 7 year old and his two buddies to the game today. Trying to do my part to get the next generation into it. I love the Barn and the boys had a great time. For an 11am tip and a lot of empty seats, I thought the energy was decent from the crowd. Players certainly seemed to play hard.

Iā€™ve been down on CBJ this year. Last year I was into the team, but Johnson just seems to be disappointing me this year. As others have said in this thread, you could just feel the momentum shift when he took Henley out for Samuels. Really weird.

One of the funniest moments was towards the end Garcia drove toward the basket and it didnā€™t work and my 7 year old screamed ā€œhe always goes left!ā€ and the guy behind us laughed and said ā€œeven a little kid sees thatā€ šŸ˜†

I am by no means sold on CBJ and if we seriously donā€™t win a Big Ten game this year, thatā€™s just awful, but players seemed to play hard for him today and there are some young guys I was impressed with and will be rooting for now: Payne will be a stud. I liked Ola-Joseph and Henley was great.
I see BJ as protecting the freshmen, letting them develop. Not that much different than PJ allowing his players to develop. BJ has a great demeanor. He will be successful. We need to be patient.

I see BJ as protecting the freshmen, letting them develop. Not that much different than PJ allowing his players to develop. BJ has a great demeanor. He will be successful. We need to be patient.
I think this is a good idea but then we should have desperately been looking to add more wings in the portal.

I think freshman develop better when they warn their minutes and when they are put in the best positions to succeed rather than shoe-horning them into roles.

I am concerned that sometimes how we recruit does not match our plan of development.

Maybe......he dipped his shoulder are bulled him over

I've seen that called the other way many times.
Didn't bull him over. Garcia wasn't close to in position, hadn't established position and was basically running at him and toward him. As others have said, it was a poorly reffed game but this was a correct call.

Ideally you are correct. If next year is bad- let's say 6-14- his future in the Big Ten is done for, but they won't fire him.
This is your third or fourth veiled reference on this thread to Ben being, as you said early on, a "minority hire."
So let's educate you, beej.
If you look at the numbers across college and professional sports,statistically black coaches are the last to be hired, the first to be fired and are much less likely than white coaches to be "retreads."
Pitino had a job within hours after being fired after eight sub mediocre years here. Statistically that's unlikely to be the case for Johnson, unless he leaves on his own at some point for a better gig.

This is your third or fourth veiled reference on this thread to Ben being, as you said early on, a "minority hire."
If you look at the numbers across college and professional sports,statistically black coaches are the last to be hired, the first to be fired and are much less likely than white coaches to be "retreads."
Pitino had a job within hours after being fired after eight sub mediocre years here. Statistically that's unlikely to be the case for Johnson, unless he leaves on his own at some point for a better gig.
Pitino was hired again because of his name, not his skin color. Do we need to give CBJ a guaranteed eight years as some kind of coaching reparations?

Pitino is a bad reference as his dad is arguably one of the greatest living basketball coaches today, one who most likely has an extensive network which help his son have a soft landingā€¦I donā€™t think Ben has a das with Rick Pitinoā€™s credentials helping him.

Meaning you play all the freshman as much as possible.

It's the only reason to watch. We suck balls with the freshman. We suck balls without the freshman.

Play the damn freshman.
Sending your freshman out all at once to play in the BTen is a horrible idea....they wouldn't learn shit, except how to lose. I believe the upper classman deserve to play.... they have worked hard for it and earned.

Pitino is a bad reference as his dad is arguably one of the greatest living basketball coaches today, one who most likely has an extensive network which help his son have a soft landingā€¦I donā€™t think Ben has a das with Rick Pitinoā€™s credentials helping him.
Whoā€™s his daddy? šŸ¤”

Sending your freshman out all at once to play in the BTen is a horrible idea....they wouldn't learn shit, except how to lose. I believe the upper classman deserve to play.... they have worked hard for it and earned.
They aren't learning how to lose?

Proof!!

Interesting. At one point earlier, Garcia was way in the negative for +/-; now he's in the good. That coincides with him becoming scrappier and mixing it up a little inside. I like where he's headed. Besides, 14.6 ppg is nothing to sneeze at. This situation isn't as bad as some of the narratives out there.

Pitino was hired again because of his name, not his skin color. Do we need to give CBJ a guaranteed eight years as some kind of coaching reparations?

I don't believe anyone has said that. Straw man arguments are indicative of unskilled minds.

Given the circumstances of his hire and where he started in this position, I suspect he gets a minimum of four years but, if year three isn't observably more successful than his first two years, that tenure could be limited to three.

This situation isn't as bad as some of the narratives out there.

You mean like the "Ben Johnson is a disaster" narrative?

At this point, I would agree. Although improvement may not be obvious to everyone, this team has improved. First of all, the team has been quite competitive in its last two games against P6 teams after being mostly noncompetitive against its first five of those. Secondly, they have improved in some measures (scoring, overall shooting, free throw shooting) in Big Ten games versus their overall season numbers. The big weakness in Big Ten games has been defense as they've allowed 81 points per game against conference competition.

You mean like the "Ben Johnson is a disaster" narrative?

At this point, I would agree. Although improvement may not be obvious to everyone, this team has improved. First of all, the team has been quite competitive in its last two games against P6 teams after being mostly noncompetitive against its first five of those. Secondly, they have improved in some measures (scoring, overall shooting, free throw shooting) in Big Ten games versus their overall season numbers. The big weakness in Big Ten games has been defense as they've allowed 81 points per game against conference competition.
They have been more competitive in the past two games. Nebraska is pretty bad and wisconsin isn't great (despite their ranking) and were without their top player statistically. They will need to sustain it against better teams.

They have been more competitive in the past two games. Nebraska is pretty bad and wisconsin isn't great (despite their ranking) and were without their top player statistically. They will need to sustain it against better teams.
I thought Wahl was not a good player?

Big Ten doesn't have too many great teams outside of Purdue (only 2 are ranked currently) IMO

If they play like they did against Nebraska (even they went to OT against Purdue), they should be in most games I think.

Big Ten doesn't have too many great teams outside of Purdue (only 2 are ranked currently) IMO

If they play like they did against Nebraska (even they went to OT against Purdue), they should be in most games I think.
Theyā€™ll be in games for sure. Itā€™s a matter of how many.

Top Bottom