***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS QUINNIPIAC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHP IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I really didn't want to see Michigan again, as we had problems all year with them. When Q beat them the way they did, I thought, " Oh, $#it."

I'm so tired of hearing "they're just kids" as a defense. I was tired of hearing it when I was in school because part of being an adult is accepting greater responsibility and people expect greater results. The pat on the head and platitudes that you tried your best is demeaning and dismissive. It guts the self-esteem of athletes and reinforces that they deserved to lose.

This team did not deserve to lose. If they had played like they had all season, the outcome would be different. The continual admonition that we should consider the other teams feelings is a cleaver to competitive drive within an athlete.

I would rather have a National Championship and accusations that we didn't care about the other team, than be able to say we were conscientious of the other team and lost because that means we let them win.

We went into a shell because of not wanting to look bad in a victory and it caused us to lose. Championships matter.
Great points. At this level, this is big time sports and big time entertainment. The goal is to win, and to do anything it takes to win.

Harvard, Union. Quinnipeac. We gave them all their first and only national titles. That’s just goddamn embarrassing.
You forgot 2 more, RPI Engineers in 1954 and Boston University Terriers in 1971, yes, RPI Engineers and Boston University Terriers won other championships but Gophers gave Engineers and Terriers their first championship so 5 teams that Gophers gave them their first championships which is just sad!

You forgot 2 more, RPI Engineers in 1954 and Boston University Terriers in 1971, yes, RPI Engineers and Boston University Terriers won other championships but Gophers gave Engineers and Terriers their first championship so 5 teams that Gophers gave them their first championships which is just sad!

We're givers. I don't mind losing to BU since they've been a longtime hockey power, and 1954 with RPI was a totally different era (plus they won a second title in the modern era).

While this is a heartbreaking loss, the overtime loss to Harvard in 1989 was more painful and it took me a very long time to get over

Last edited:

We're givers. I don't mind losing to BU since they've been a longtime hockey power, and 1954 with RPI was a totally different era (plus they won a second title in the modern era).
Yeah but while this is a heartbreaking loss, the 1989 overtime loss to Harvard was more painful than last night's loss which took me a very long time to get over it

No, the team who wanted it more won.

By going into a shell, we admitted we didn't want it. We played to not lose or prevent (a win) defensive play.
While I can read and respect everyone’s comments regarding this game I cannot accept that QU players wanted it more than our players did. We might not have used the best game plan but our team wanted it. Our players - some stayed an extra year to try - gave us the best year in Gopher hockey we have seen in years. They did get to Frozen Fours since 2003- 2005,2012,2014, 2022,and 2023. So they got there 5 times.

The transfer portal and NIL will only make this game more difficult to for coaches, players and fans to figure out.

Good luck to all the players as you make your decisions for next year and thank you for this one. We will be back in October in our seats in section 5. I will miss having games to go to in between now and then.

Yeah but while this is a heartbreaking loss, the 1989 overtime loss to Harvard was more painful than last night's loss which took me a very long time to get over it
Agree, that was the gold standard of rip-your-heart-out losses. Loaded team, in St Paul against a team they absolutely should’ve beat, ringing one off the pipe in OT. Wooger never got past that one.

While I can read and respect everyone’s comments regarding this game I cannot accept that QU players wanted it more than our players did. We might not have used the best game plan but our team wanted it. Our players - some stayed an extra year to try - gave us the best year in Gopher hockey we have seen in years. They did get to Frozen Fours since 2003- 2005,2012,2014, 2022,and 2023. So they got there 5 times.

The transfer portal and NIL will only make this game more difficult to for coaches, players and fans to figure out.

Good luck to all the players as you make your decisions for next year and thank you for this one. We will be back in October in our seats in section 5. I will miss having games to go to in between now and then.
Read my comments as to why the Gophers didn't want it https://gopherhole.com/boards/threa...hampionshp-in-game-thread.110528/post-2701637

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW....WE PLAYING FOR A NATTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great moments are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game.

GET 'ER DONE MOTZKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WIN A FN' NATTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Championship game did not go as planned but a very memorable season

Erotuomari soitti kauhean puhelun. Gophersin olisi pitänyt olla täysi voima, ei alhaalla.

Translation: The referee made a terrible call. The Gophers should have been full strength, not down one.

Erotuomari soitti kauhean puhelun. Gophersin olisi pitänyt olla täysi voima, ei alhaalla.

Translation: The referee made a terrible call. The Gophers should have been full strength, not down one.
Two things can be true at once. Ref should have called it differently, and the player should have known that being a few minutes away from a national title is a bad time to get involved in a behind the play tussle that leaves it up to the ref to call nothing, send them both, or leave one team shorthanded.

I'm so tired of hearing "they're just kids" as a defense. I was tired of hearing it when I was in school because part of being an adult is accepting greater responsibility and people expect greater results. The pat on the head and platitudes that you tried your best is demeaning and dismissive. It guts the self-esteem of athletes and reinforces that they deserved to lose.

This team did not deserve to lose. If they had played like they had all season, the outcome would be different. The continual admonition that we should consider the other teams feelings is a cleaver to competitive drive within an athlete.

I would rather have a National Championship and accusations that we didn't care about the other team, than be able to say we were conscientious of the other team and lost because that means we let them win.

We went into a shell because of not wanting to look bad in a victory and it caused us to lose. Championships matter.
Ridiculous take.

To think that the Gophers took their foot off the accelerator because they didn't want Q to look bad is beyond comprehension. No one I ever played with or known in competitive sports has that mindset. Now, it looked like Bob told them to quit forechecking aggressively and play 3 or 4 back defense. That seems possible. But certainly not because he didn't want to embarrass the Q players. No chance in hell.

To think that the Gophers took their foot off the accelerator because they didn't want Q to look bad is beyond comprehension. No one I ever played with or known in competitive sports has that mindset. Now, it looked like Bob told them to quit forechecking aggressively and play 3 or 4 back defense. That seems possible. But certainly not because he didn't want to embarrass the Q players. No chance in hell.
Amen!

How this guy has never been hired away by one of the big dogs is a mystery to me. He's been one of the best coaches in the nation for years now.
Got a feeling he will get some offers from the nhl and college ranks but to me he seems like a guy who is loyal to his school. Yes money talks but I just have a feeling he stays put

If that is true then none of the Minnesota teams would win any championships so that is a stupid statement to make
It’s called sarcasm my friend.

All fans love to complain about the refs and how they are screwing their team. Not to mention how Joe Buck can be doing a game and both fan bases feel is wants the other team to win. Fans are biased and love to complain.

It’s called sarcasm my friend.

All fans love to complain about the refs and how they are screwing their team. Not to mention how Joe Buck can be doing a game and both fan bases feel is wants the other team to win. Fans are biased and love to complain.
I don't think Minnesotan teams are the victim of systemic officiating issues. We do seem to have more than our share of victim complexes among our fans, which is probably the result of us having more than our share of poor performances by our college and pro teams (both in terms of overall success, and being on the wrong side of collapses or upsets in playoff environments).

Got it. I wasn't sure exactly what you meant.

Five different schools have won their first NCAA title by beating the Gophers. Ouch

Watching Faber play for the wild in the playoffs and I can’t help but wonder why he was not out there to start overtime. That just seems like being too cute by half. Send your best bleeping players out there right away cause you never know you might lose in 1@ seconds.

Top Bottom