***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS OHIO STATE BTT ROUND 2 IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Williams and Freeman needed more experience when the roster was fully healthy. Look at how impactful they were today. I blame Pitino for not giving these guys hardly any minutes to start the season..
There’s also the fact that when the roster wasn’t healthy and they were forced to play a lot, we lost 7 in a row. Maybe there’s a correlation?

I agree, Marcus Carr is not ready for the NBA, I predict he is back next year.
I personally think he has no shot in the NBA, and very little in the G League. My guess is it will be a toss up pending what he hears from overseas. If he can get a decent contract in some non descript European Country he is gone. If he cant find anything good I suppose there is a shot he comes back, but that is small.

i actually think he would fit in well in china if he wanted, they play crazy pace little defense. Guys like Jimmer have made millions playing there putting up CRAZY numbers.

At some point you have to win games, and potions record is such that a firing is warranted. However, a lot of the blame has to go on players simply not making shots. I don’t feel like a lot of the 3s we take are contested or rushed (aside from carr sometimes), but we don’t make them. The offense is generating open 3s, if we just made open 3s at a reasonable rate we would have a couple extra wins. Maybe that’s on pitino, maybe the offense isn’t good enough or bad recruiting or not emphasizing shooting enough in the off season, but sometimes I think how if our guys shot a little better on open 3s, we’d have a completely different season and perception of pitino as a coach.

At some point you have to win games, and potions record is such that a firing is warranted. However, a lot of the blame has to go on players simply not making shots. I don’t feel like a lot of the 3s we take are contested or rushed (aside from carr sometimes), but we don’t make them. The offense is generating open 3s, if we just made open 3s at a reasonable rate we would have a couple extra wins. Maybe that’s on pitino, maybe the offense isn’t good enough or bad recruiting or not emphasizing shooting enough in the off season, but sometimes I think how if our guys shot a little better on open 3s, we’d have a completely different season and perception of pitino as a coach.
They get open threes but it's the wrong guys usually. Gabe was the exception- it just went south for him. Other teams don't give Carr clean looks and even Williams ends up forcing a lot of his.

There are actually coaches that work with their guys on basketball skills. I don't recall Pitino mentioning that about shooting at anytime over the past 8 years. He never really played, so probably doesn't have much to offer.

No one has improved as a shooter with Pitino as the coach. There are quite a few examples where they get worse. Plus, his sarcasm may be funny to the listening audience, but if he says anything like that to the team, it's going to do more harm than good because sarcasm don't work the same way with kids.

Shooting is not all on the players. If you're the coach, you own that too.

There’s also the fact that when the roster wasn’t healthy and they were forced to play a lot, we lost 7 in a row. Maybe there’s a correlation?
Yeah, they weren't prepared when they should have been. They deserved minutes all year but did get them until injuries. Our lineup wasn't deep at all and that's Pitino's fault

Ihnen also played a heck of a game- 5 boards, 4 assists, 2 blocks, 4 points, no turnovers and terrific defense. He was a factor in more good plays than the box score shows. Likewise- he should have seen more time. He's a guy they should have run some back doors to the bucket for to get him confident. A lot of it appears to be that he's afraid to screw up on offense (miss a shot) or he will get yanked.
Well said and I totally agree. He settled for 3s way too much this season and we finally saw how impactful he can be in all areas of the game. He was guessing all year, needs a real coach to give direction

There are actually coaches that work with their guys on basketball skills. I don't recall Pitino mentioning that about shooting at anytime over the past 8 years. He never really played, so probably doesn't have much to offer.

No one has improved as a shooter with Pitino as the coach. There are quite a few examples where they get worse. Plus, his sarcasm may be funny to the listening audience, but if he says anything like that to the team, it's going to do more harm than good because sarcasm don't work the same way with kids.

I agree, there are little adjustments that always need to be made in shooting, kind of like a batting coach to get a guy out of a slump, takes a special skill to do it though, not many have it.

It was. But Holtman is a garbage coach just like Pitino. Saw Izzo do it too recently. Garbage coach.
I'm going to pull my best Tom Kelly impression:

"What was the game situation?"
"How much time was left?"
"What was the score?"
"How gassed was my best player?"

Look, Dick Pit took the second timeout of the game down by 9 with a few minutes left in the first half that was literally turned into the media timeout. This means that the next whistle WAS the media timeout. He took our 3rd timeout midway through the second half in a non-critical situation as well - a full timeout, 10 seconds of play, whistle, media timeout.

We ended the game with no timeouts for the last several minutes. He does it over-and-over-and-over - most often the sequence that burns me is we make a basket to kill a run by the opponent, timeout (wouldn't want to get too enthused!), right before a media timeout.

Try as you might to nail me, this is just dumb.

The fact that Tre was shooting around 30% at the line this year is all that needs to be said about that.

Yes, yes, yes. So true. Not a game manager. And let's not talk about adjustments during the game. They seem to not exist.

Funny what a terrible coach he is when how well he coached against Mich, Iowa, etc and then without 2 starters and a banged up Johnson and Goth almost beat the 9th ranked team today
Ya, he’s a hall of famer. Almost won 40% of the Big Ten games he coached over 8 years.

Carr might be kicking himself looking at the film on that last play- got caught watching the Liddell action and should’ve helped on the guy who got the pass. But I can’t complain with some actual fight to end the season.
Yep that and the non travel call could have given them that last opportunity. Nice come back Gophs !

Nice job fighting back. I can't help but think of the terrible play at the end of the 1st half (again}.

Yeah, his actions after the game yesterday seemed to me like a guy who thinks his college career ended on that floor. Could always change his mind, but I think he moves on.

If a pro career is Carr's primary focus (which it appears likely to be), the basic question is "What will staying an extra year do to advance that prospect?" If I were answering that question, my response would be "probably not much."

If a pro career is Carr's primary focus (which it appears likely to be), the basic question is "What will staying an extra year do to advance that prospect?" If I were answering that question, my response would be "probably not much."

Hmm. Interesting question--would a new coach and system set him up for a huge senior year? Would that be enough to sneak into the second round?

I would be very surprised if he came back, but I think if he wants to shoot for the NBA another year in college might be his only shot.

Hmm. Interesting question--would a new coach and system set him up for a huge senior year? Would that be enough to sneak into the second round?

I would be very surprised if he came back, but I think if he wants to shoot for the NBA another year in college might be his only shot.

Well, I said "pro career," not NBA per se. I don't think Carr has a very high probability of making the NBA right away but I think his chances of landing on a league roster (at least for a short-term gig) improve significantly if he plays professionally somewhere else first. The simple fact of the matter is that NBA evaluators don't have tremendous respect for the college game. They would rather see how marginal prospects do against older, professional competition even if that competition is in a lesser professional league. There are a lot of big time college scorers who are ignored in the draft. Luke Garza is having a tremendous senior year and likely will be a two-time 1st team All American but NBADraft.net has him ranked as the #99 player and not included in either round of their mock draft.

Carr also would have a decent shot of making a roster for the NBA summer league and that's a good way to latch on to a lower league pro contract. The only tournament of note that I think he would forfeit by leaving early is Portsmouth as one has to be a senior to play in that one.

Top Bottom